Ridgid 14" Chop Saw (R41421)

Conductor562

For a long time now I've debated getting a chop saw. For rebar, angle iron, and bar stock, a plasma cutter isn't very convenient, a Sawzall isn't very efficient, and requiring 2 steady hands, a band saw isn't always a joy either. I've looked at these saws a dozen different times, but I never wanted to spend the money on one.

The other day I was at HD, had $100 gift card from Father's Day to cut into the price, and I said "why the hell not!". They had a Dewalt for $199, and a Makita for $189, but I honestly liked the $179 Ridgid better. The clamp operated smoother and it wasn't that ugly yellow color, but the real selling point was the trigger. The Dewalt featured a single finger trigger that pretty much forces you operate it with your left hand while the Makita had a funky pistol grip style handle that I didn't care for. I also checked the Milwaukee version out online and it too featured this handle. The Ridgid on the other hand (pun intended) had a full width trigger that can be engaged with either had which was easier to operate and was more comfortable as well.

I screwed up and burnt the box before I realized I needed the UPC for the LSA, but it isn't the end of the world, I can usually fix them myself anyway.

It's not something I'll need daily, but I'll be glad to have it when I do

post-515-0-27079500-1435721212_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-42403700-1435721227_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-75867200-1435721244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

If you email Ridgid they might be able to take care of the UPC situation. I saw somewhere else someone did something similar threw the box out before registering. A chop saw is a chop saw they don't really have too many features between brands really. I'm surprised you HD had that many different saws in stock. They ones by me just carry one the Ridgid I believe.

My HD actually has a pretty good selection. It's right in the middle of an area that's been heavily developed over the past decade. If you go down the road to the next one, they don't have half the selection.

There is one HD that is like the big regional store. It had a hilti mini store in it at one time. It went to Bosch for a short period now its Milwaukee. It's funny the store closest me is completely redoing their tool section and they are going to carry more of the Milwaukee fuel tools than before.

Nice buy conductor!! I've never real looked at the Ridgid ones but they look sweet and I know I can always trust ur judgment on tools bro, I would've just bought the ugly yellow one cus I like ugly yellow lol! We have a dewalt one at work it doesn't get used much for me to comment on it but it's there and looks beat to shit.

• 1 month later...

Now that you have had this saw a while how do you like it?

I have the same model but the part that piece that holds the threads on the clamp down wore out after a few monthes. Was not very pleased with it wearing out so soon. Saw works just can't clamp anything tight. I have a metabo an a makita that work good. Use to have a craftsman professional but sold it when I moved.