Tool-stuff and DIY for your eyeballs and earholes

n00b

A couple of podcasts I enjoy...

http://www.homerepairtutor.com/ Short episodes a few times a week (via iTunes)

http://aceonthehouse.adamcarolla.com/ Carolla and his buddy Ray talk shop and home repair.  Definitely NSFW (via iTunes)

Television Shows...

'Rehab Addict' Nicole Curtis renovates a couple of homes, pretty cool to watch (via Netflix)

'Holmes Inspections'  Mike Holmes fixes stuff...the interesting part is the difference in code standards between the US and Canada (via Netflix)

Anything else I should check out?

I listen to Ace on the House every week.  Funny and fairly informative show.  Has a lot of guests on also.

I also watch a variety on HGTV and DIY network.  I like Holmes he seems like a good guy.  I saw an interview with one of the execs from the show that said they went to shoot an episode and the contractor had messed up the house so bad that it needed to be totally rebuilt.  They told him we only fix houses on this show not build them and he said he could not walk away and leave this family in this situation.  He decided he would stop doing the series because he felt bad about leaving this family in this situation.  The exec says so we built a house. They said there have been times when it would put in some of his own money to be sure the family got what was needed done.

my sister had a friend that was contacted by the holmes show and they were astonished by the requirements.....

first off whithout even visiting the home they wanted a secured $45,000 retainer in place with lawyers? then they had to agree on 30% more for variables plus they had to agree that the show....mike holmes had last say in design/product use.....

in other words if he is doing your house he is paid up front......and he gets to do what he wants.......

no mention of anything for you from the show..

same with house hunters show same sister was going to see if her and her husband go on it to buy a place in jamaica 

they were told you had to have a place pre purchased and the other 2 places to be just staged they get $500 for the 4 hours of film time......

my sister had a friend that was contacted by the holmes show and they were astonished by the requirements.....

first off whithout even visiting the home they wanted a secured $45,000 retainer in place with lawyers? then they had to agree on 30% more for variables plus they had to agree that the show....mike holmes had last say in design/product use.....

in other words if he is doing your house he is paid up front......and he gets to do what he wants.......

same with house hunters show same sister was going to see if her and her husband go on it to buy a place in jamaica 

they were told you had to have a place pre purchased and the other 2 places to be just staged they get $500 for the 4 hours of film time......

The son of our company president was on House Hunters and they did have to have the house already in the buying process and their realtor had to come up with 2 more houses to show on the episode.  They also told them what to wear while filming and bought new clothes to be on the show.  I would not go through all that to be on House Hunters.

Ahhh...so the homeowner has to post $45K upfront before beginning construction?

do u guys remember I think it was called renovation realities where  wife and husband would take on renovations? I wonder why they took that out

It was funny to see how many screwed up ways they would do stuff on that show. I saw one where the guy dang near cut his hand off on a miter saw. He was holding the stock on the right side with his left hand and pulled the saw with his right hand. It looked very close.

I haven't seen any of those shows. Only one I've seen is Treehouse Masters, love that show. A while back there was a show called Blog Cabin, that was pretty cool too.

Lately i've been listening to woodworking podcasts:

Woodtalk Online

Finewoodworking Shop Talk Live

Making It Podcast

Other podcast:

The Joe Rogan Experience

It was funny to see how many screwed up ways they would do stuff on that show. I saw one where the guy dang near cut his hand off on a miter saw. He was holding the stock on the right side with his left hand and pulled the saw with his right hand. It looked very close.

yea it was comedy and some of those couples had some talent to. It was always interesting seeing them try to stay in budget to, I wonder why they took that show off

• 4 years later...

I like these two podcasts too. You can check out Holmes Inspections as well, it's awesome. Everytime I listen to podcasts I listen it via iTunes. Few days back I was about to listen to Holmes Inspections and I faced an iTunes error. So I searched Fix iTunes Error 14 because that was the error I was facing. It took me about 1 hr to fix it. It was very annoying.