Milwaukee Hand Tools - To be or not to be?

Doof

Ok, we are all gluttons for the Fuel line without question. Even those who don't own the platform agree Fuel is the breasts.

Hand tools: I've a few Milwaukee hand tools however, I'm not wedded to them (yet) despite the temptation. Yes, I've strayed from Red often when the option was there. Price prudence has often gotten the better of me. (I think, hmmm... save $4-5 here and there, more for a Fuel tool later.

Again, hand tools: beyond the lifetime warranty on these suckers, what are y'all's thoughts? The new offerings are sweet to be sure, but what about personal experience? If not Red, why? If yes Red, why?

It's on a tool by tool basis. Depends on build quality and price point. I don't need wire strippers on every tool I own, but if I did, Milwaukee would be the go-to. I don't think you can find a better utility knife than a fastback. Overall happy with my assortment to varying degrees. I have the first gen needle nose, lineman, compact hack, folding jabsaw, a couple fastback 2, multibit drivers, tape measures etc.

Ok, we are all gluttons for the Fuel line without question. Even those who don't own the platform agree Fuel is the breasts.

Hand tools: I've a few Milwaukee hand tools however, I'm not wedded to them (yet) despite the temptation. Yes, I've strayed from Red often when the option was there. Price prudence has often gotten the better of me. (I think, hmmm... save $4-5 here and there, more for a Fuel tool later.

Again, hand tools: beyond the lifetime warranty on these suckers, what are y'all's thoughts? The new offerings are sweet to be sure, but what about personal experience? If not Red, why? If yes Red, why?

For me there is not that much of a draw to stick with one brand like with cordless tools.

I do have the Milwaukee folding jab saw, PVC hand saw, and tin shears. I'm happy with them. I would consider Milwaukee for future hand tool purchases.

My hand tools are a mixture of Klein, Snap on, Blue Point, Craftsman, Ridgid, Channel lock, Irwin Vice Grip, Knipex, Crescent, Gearwrench, Tetkon, SK, Allen, Vaco, Wiha, MIP, Husky, Eklind, Dewalt, Kobalt, Stanley, Douglas, Bondhus, Pittsburg, and others.

Like Bremon it's a tool by tool based decision.

I have quite the collection of their hand tools and I like them, to a point. the compact hacksaw is great for toilet bolts (something I seem to use at least once a week)

the screw drivers are decent but I don't use them on a regular basis either. I just bought a set of dewalt to see the differences the other day. they are still yet to be used...

love their tapes, wouldn't go any other way with a tape.

their pliers are big, bulky and kinda harder to deal with than some others like the husky.

overall I agree with bremon, tool by tool basis. I will give Milwaukee the first go, failing them I try another brand usually dewalt or husky.

basically if you think it will work best for you buy it. I don't think I could say they are king of the hill with hand tools however I don't use hand tools that much anymore and the ones I do use I have mostly Milwaukee so that's my 2 cents worth hope it helps

Yeah, I think most are decent but I'd rather have Knipex pliers, especially their plier wrench, for example when it comes to general purpose pliers but Milwaukee seems to be a good mid-priced solution in many cases. My personal Milwaukee favs are the 6-1 electrical needle nose pliers which are fantastic IMHO, the Fastback 2 utility knife, their demo screwdrivers and their racheting screwdriver. I think in general you can't go wrong with them. I doubt Milwaukee would put out a piece of junk but there might be better out there in some cases.

I really like their ECX bit screwdrivers.  The rest of their screwdrivers are OK, but honestly, I don't like the fact that the end caps only say + or - without any other information.  I guess perhaps I'm spoiled by the Klein screwdrivers that give you the model so you can get more info on size, length, etc. without having to pull it out and look at it.

I am also a fan of their locking pliers.  The comfort grips and locks just seem to work better than my old Vise-grips with the funky metal lever that always pinches my hand.

I have the set of tin snips and love em! Also in my box are the lineman pliers and they are great I have been looking forward to picking up their set of screwdrivers as well. I am a Milwaukee fan but will use anything that fits me well and works and they do.

As others said its a tool by tools basis.

For me there vise grips are pretty good. I have several of both the vise grips an locking c clamps. I wish they would make a larger style deep throat one thoe.

Screwdrivers an tape measures are decent as well.

Linemen pliers work but I prefer my kleins or knipex. Same goes for the needle nose. I have yet to try there other pliers or tins nips.

Fastback pocket knife is good but it's no Kershaw. For the price you can't beat it thoe.

Second gen is my go too now, I own knipex, klien, wera , yet I reach for my milwaukee? Because I'm an electrician Im always always day in and day out using hand tools. Linemans, needle nose, dikes, tounge and groove ect the second gen is awesome for the price and are better then my kliens. My lineman cut better and the leverage is better for cutting thicker gauge wire, yeah the head is a tiny bit bigger and adds weight but I'm a construction worker not a and everything is heavy lol I hate that oh it's lighter crap. the tounge and groove are great the grip is awesome hands down!!!! I usta do this with my channel lock grips but as we know they always come lose no matter what haha and the needle nose are just over all nice and feel great aswell. I really like the new grips

I just saw this and I'm guessing no one else has or there would have been more comments, but you'd have thought 126 pairs of eyeballs would have seen this sooner...

I love auto-correct.

I just saw this and I'm guessing no one else has or there would have been more comments, but you'd have thought 126 pairs of eyeballs would have seen this sooner...

I love auto-correct..

Totally playing on the "tits" usage @Bremon and the similarity between "best" and breasts. Haha! I'm surprised it took so long to notice too @kdv.

No auto-correct here. Whoops? How un-pc of me... hahaha!

• 2 weeks later...

Doof, i'm with you. i'd rather save a few bucks to be able to add to my m12/18 line later on. i haven't been impressed with the hand tools nearly as much as their power tools. not that they're bad, but there's nothing cutting edge about them that someone else doesn't do just as well for the same or better price. i also don't need wire strippers on every tool in my bag. i'm not an electrician. but that seems like a weird value-add.