Colt router

kruton

Does anyone have any experience with the Bosch Colt router? I have been looking at getting a smaller palm type router to do small jobs on projects when the big router isn't practical. I have been gradually switching over to Bosch as I replace old equipment or need something new. That being said, I am not completely brand loyal so I am open to the other big brands. Mainly just curious to see what everyone's likes, dislikes and thoughts are before I buy one.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any experience with the Bosch Colt router? I have been looking at getting a smaller palm type router to do small jobs on projects when the big router isn't practical. I have been gradually switching over to Bosch as I replace old equipment or need something new. That being said, I am not completely brand loyal so I am open to the other big brands. Mainly just curious to see what everyone's likes, dislikes and thoughts are before I buy one.

I've been looking at the Colt too. I recently picked up a larger Bosch router and I'm impressed with the quality. It would be nice to have a small router also.

I just think I would like the smaller size for some of the projects I've been messing with where the dremel won't cut it but the big router is too cumbersome. I think it would be nice when trying to fine tune neck pockets on guitar bodies.

the colt is absolute fabulous, its a great palm router.

If you get the one from Bosch, buy the PR20EVS ( it has variable speed ), the PR10 doesnt.

couple month ago i saw a big sale on those palm router. i assumed Bosch gonna release a newer model with LED. thats what they were talking about.

It's a nice luxury to have a small router to go along with a larger one that can be use in a router table. I was looking at the colt but went with the DeWalt that I got on sale that comes with a fixed and plunge base., but the Colt get nothing but good reviews from what I have seen.

I looked at the Dewalt too. It seems like a solid machine. I really think any of the big namr brands is going to be a quality setup. Thanks for the heads up on the variable speed madman.

I looked at the Dewalt too. It seems like a solid machine. I really think any of the big namr brands is going to be a quality setup. Thanks for the heads up on the variable speed madman.

benefits to Dewalts Palm router - it has LED :D

yeah your welcome kruton

Haven't tried the Colt but everyone likes it and the kit with the plunge base is really popular. Conductor has the Makita kit with the plunge I believe and he likes that one. I have tried the Ridgid which is pretty cool and has the LED lights but I haven't tried the Dewalt. Personally, I have the Festool OF1010 which is a compact unit with plunge and it's truly a fascinating machine. I honestly don't think you can wrong with the Bosch or any of those other ones. They are in the same size category and similar power.

Haven't tried the Colt but everyone likes it and the kit with the plunge base is really popular. Conductor has the Makita kit with the plunge I believe and he likes that one. I have tried the Ridgid which is pretty cool and has the LED lights but I haven't tried the Dewalt. Personally, I have the Festool OF1010 which is a compact unit with plunge and it's truly a fascinating machine. I honestly don't think you can wrong with the Bosch or any of those other ones. They are in the same size category and similar power.

I was tempted to try the festool. I just don't know if for what I am going to use it for I can justify the difference in the price.

I was tempted to try the festool. I just don't know if for what I am going to use it for I can justify the difference in the price.

http://youtu.be/gHJktChv4Ck

It's expensive Kruton and I don't push Festool, there's a lot of high quality tools out there without the Festool name. My table top router is a Bosch 1617EVS which is an awesome machine. Really what you are getting besides quality is its part of a proprietary system of tools. My mainstay tools are Festool and they all work together via DC with HEPA or the rail system etc. My two Festool routers work phenomenally with the LR32 drilling system and rails. The Colt is a proven design though and is well made. I have not heard anything bad about that machine and there's a lot of options that can be put on the machine to make it even better!

http://youtu.be/gHJktChv4Ck

It's expensive Kruton and I don't push Festool, there's a lot of high quality tools out there without the Festool name. My table top router is a Bosch 1617EVS which is an awesome machine. Really what you are getting besides quality is its part of a proprietary system of tools. My mainstay tools are Festool and they all work together via DC with HEPA or the rail system etc. My two Festool routers work phenomenally with the LR32 drilling system and rails. The Colt is a proven design though and is well made. I have not heard anything bad about that machine and there's a lot of options that can be put on the machine to make it even better!

Chris you are probably a good one to ask then about Festool. I have never had the opportunity to work with any of their tools but have heard everything they make is quality. I am wondering if there is a discernible difference in accuracy and quality of cuts or is it more about the proprietary system integration that drives the cost up? Just curious why they are pricier than other brands. Thanks for any info.

• 5 weeks later...

Kruton,

Did you ever pick up a colt?

I bought a PR20EVS eBay for $45 shipped. It came in yesterday. I like it. I threw a round over bit in it and tried it out on a scrap of wood. It seems like it's just what I was looking for.

Unfortunately no I haven't. I had heard Bosch may be adding LED lights to a newer model so I am thinking about waiting on that. I think that would be a handy addition. If I can grab one for that price though, I would just get it. I may have to watch the ol ebay and see what's there. Glad you like it.

• 2 years later...