Milwaukee - A love/hate relationship

Kenny Creeden

Ok, so I've loved Milwaukee for a while, and i just love buying drills from them. However, i cant seem to buy a drill for a reasonable price, I'll look at an awesome impact driver from Milwaukee, and it's $150, then I go look at Black and Decker, I find a similar driver for $80. That's my problem, I can't get any Milwaukee brand tool for an acceptable price. I understand that they are built to last years upon years and have immense power, but sometimes I just don't need something that goes overdrive like that, I mean how much power do you really need to drive a split screw into some plywood?. Anyway, this is my opinion, I still love Milwaukee for its amazing innovations. Please reply with your opinions.

Thanks,

-Kyle

you can get comparable Milwaukee impacts with less power for around $100 and at that price your getting way better warranty. thing is Milwaukee is on top of their game right now with their big guns so people are looking at those only.

plus it's always been a fact to buyin combos way better off price wise....

Kyle, first off welcome to the forum. Use the old adage, "You get what you pay for" my friend. But truthfully, if your a DIY homeowner and don't want to drop a huge amount of money, Ryobi makes some really high quality affordable tools and truthfully my Black and Decker 20v Autosense drill is an awesome drill that I use all the time with my Kreg jig, you can't overdrive fasteners in wood. Also, B&D 20v tools are a broad spectrum tool base that many DIY home owners are more than satisfied with. If I were you, I'd go with this advice, buy what you can afford when you can afford it and get the best you can buy at that time so you don't have to buy twice. Maybe wait a while and save for those Milwaukee tools or look at CPO Milwaukee or Tyler Tool for a reconditioned unit.

You can't realistically compare Milwaukee to B&D, they're 2 completely different grades of tool. Milwaukee is a high quality professional caliber tools where B&D is an entry level homeowner tool. It's like comparing a Freightliner to an F-150.

This is the same struggle we all go through, weighing cost versus need versus want.

If you're already equipped with batteries, you can find great prices on gently used stuff on eBay, or I'd consider recon'd stuff from CPO. I've had great luck with recon'd tools honestly

another way to look at this is if you are making $75 an hour what is a couple hundred bucks to make sure you have a reliable tool.

if you are a DIY'er it still worth a couple hundred bucks do you not buying twice which ends up even more for a lower quality tool....

Yeah I got the M18 fuel hammer drill and impact kit with two 4.0aH batteries around Christmas time, MSRP $399, for like $380 plus a free Hackzall M12 with case charger and 2x2.0 batteries. I figured the Hackzall, non-fuel was a meh but I got a charger and two batteries so I could buy more m12 stuff which made it a good deal but I love that little Hackzall. It's great one handed in tight spaces where you'd otherwise grab a hand hacksaw and use it 10x's etc. I always try to just hold off buying things waiting for a sale or some kind of deal. Even when I bought the Milwaukee rolling chest I used one $20 off $200 coupon on the bottom and then went back and got the top with another $20 coupon. $40 is $40. Just keep some kind of shopping strategy and discipline, every little bit helps.

yes tools for an addict is one thing buy buy buy as much as an addict that I am I still can wait for deals and such.....smart shopping = more tools.....or better tools.....or more tools or better tools .....now I don't know which......

If you don't need a ton of power, the Milwaukee 12v line may be up your alley. I've seen the 12v drills going for $99 bucks at home depot. Of course this is the brushed version, still a great tool for light duty stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm definitely not a pro, but I can't tell you how many times I've bought a tool, used it for one project and put it away for a year or so, only to have it not work when I come back to use it again.  Everything from weed whackers to drills to lights - we live in a disposable world and I've really just found that you get what you pay for.  I'd rather spend more on something that I know will work every time I need it instead of using it once and having to throw it away and buy again.  Better to have fewer toys than endless cheap, broken crap.

• Like 3

It pretty much comes down to what you can justify.  I love Milwaukee too but can't justify their premium FUEL line stuff or sometimes just their regular stuff.  With drills and drivers though I say spend the extra cash because you always seem to need them.  It's still okay to love them even if you don't own their tools.  I love the top of the line Toyota Trucks but I drive an old Honda minivan LOL.

I have slowly been picking up some of the Milwaukee hand tools. One of the tools I love are their angled scissors. I never thought I would use them but I am constantly grabbing them. They cut great and I like how heavy they are. My only complaint is that they seem to rust. Other than that a great surprise pick up for me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah I have started hitting them with a light coat of oil after I use them and it seems to help. I got the straight pair for my office at work but I have to keep them locked in my drawer because everyone wants to use them. They aren't outrageous expensive but that is more than I want to spend for someone to walk off with them. I never thought I would use the ruler on the blade either but I have used that a few times and it's been handy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Just had a convo with my brother in law about this. He just bought a place and wanted some tools I showed him the milwalkee line up and the ryobi line up. He went for ryobi although he sees the benefits of milwalkee even considered the M12, it's too much power for him. Kyle I agree sometimes you don't need the biggest and baddest drill out there but I will say the m12 line is affordable and gives you just enough power to get the job done and then some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk