Jump to content

Am I Too Old?


Nalu Rash

Recommended Posts

Thanks guys. I just went into the IBEW Unions office today and the other guy applying just graduated highschool, lol. I was too much of a party animal/dummy at that age.

 

I do have experience with Electrical, I've roughed in a few boxes and circuits. I'm self taught however, I didn't go the tradesman route. I really enjoy this type of work and I could see myself doing this for a long time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope you get the job dude! Let us know when you find out but I am really serious about that too. I just found out Univ Southern NH has a program for my agency where I can get a college BS degree for 10k. I might take it. I got out of HS and went into Fire EMS and then my current job so this is all I've done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's assume you have been working seriously since 18. That means you have 14 years of work under your belt. Figuring you might work until your 60, another 28 years. means your only 33% through your working life.. wouldn't you rather spend the other 67% doing something you truly love!! Go for it man!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No Nalurash, you are not too old! And you and I are both the same age my friend, so you diss yourself, you are dissing me. Jk LOL Seriously though, you can do anything you put your mind to. And if your apprentership is successful, I have complete faith in that you will be an amazing electrician. Just remember to kill the power before you touch the white wire. LMAO! You saw what happened to Tim Taylor when he forgot to shut off the power. :P

Thanks ProToolNut! I'm not dissing our age lol. Just noticed people almost have our age applying for the apprenticeship as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never too old bro, I'm 44 and would love to get into Electrical, I love that trade.... If I could afford the pay cut I would do it

Thank you Mikey! In the long run, this would be a pay increase for me and a more satisfying occupation as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's assume you have been working seriously since 18. That means you have 14 years of work under your belt. Figuring you might work until your 60, another 28 years. means your only 33% through your working life.. wouldn't you rather spend the other 67% doing something you truly love!! Go for it man!!

That's a pretty cool way of looking at it. Thanks a bunch

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I just went into the IBEW Unions office today and the other guy applying just graduated highschool, lol. I was too much of a party animal/dummy at that age.

 

I do have experience with Electrical, I've roughed in a few boxes and circuits. I'm self taught however, I didn't go the tradesman route. I really enjoy this type of work and I could see myself doing this for a long time. 

Go for it. You will get some of the best training and after a while you get tired working for the man you can go out on your own. I left the utility after 35 years of service and age 55 to go out on my own.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Member Statistics

    17,316
    Total Members
    6,555
    Most Online
    JohnB
    Newest Member
    JohnB
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...