Am I Too Old?

Nalu Rash

Thanks again for all the support guys, I really appreciate this. Makes me wanna try really hard so that I can give an update. I turned in my application, I'm just waiting for the call now to take the test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thanks again for all the support guys, I really appreciate this. Makes me wanna try really hard so that I can give an update. I turned in my application, I'm just waiting for the call now to take the test.

. Good to hear Nalu!! u know we got ur back and we will be here to support u man!
  • Like 2

That's a pretty cool way of looking at it. Thanks a bunch

As others have said, if you can afford the pay cut jump on it. What way do apprenticeships work in the states. Over here in Ireland it's 4 years long , but in year 3 and 4 you actually get good money

• Like 1

As others have said, if you can afford the pay cut jump on it. What way do apprenticeships work in the states. Over here in Ireland it's 4 years long , but in year 3 and 4 you actually get good money

It's a 5 year apprenticeship.

I'm in the electrical field and I love it I have bounced around from jobs I even worked for the state of oklahoma but I decided to take thd pay cut and go for it and I love it couldn't see me doing anything else and yes always turn power off it ain't worth it I have messed up alot of my tools doing live electrical work it just cost me money in the long run damn src flashes lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm in the electrical field and I love it I have bounced around from jobs I even worked for the state of oklahoma but I decided to take thd pay cut and go for it and I love it couldn't see me doing anything else and yes always turn power off it ain't worth it I have messed up alot of my tools doing live electrical work it just cost me money in the long run damn src flashes lol

I'm glad that you love your job. I've been really geeking out lately on industrial/commercial/residential electrical work. Been watching a ton of videos about bending conduit, something I've never done before. There is so much to learn and I cant wait to learn it. If you or any other electricians have any more advice to share id love to hear it. And yes, i will remember to turn off the power haha

I'm glad that you love your job. I've been really geeking out lately on industrial/commercial/residential electrical work. Been watching a ton of videos about bending conduit, something I've never done before. There is so much to learn and I cant wait to learn it. If you or any other electricians have any more advice to share id love to hear it. And yes, i will remember to turn off the power haha

I say go for it if you got any questions about the job just ask I'm willing to answer them to my best of ability but I'm sure other electricans would to

my boss always tells me you don't know nothing till your 30 that's when the brain kicks in and you really start to understand life and work. so you have more life experience than that highschool kid in more than just work. you have it in life experience which lately around here is the best way to get the job you want. im 21 (in a week) and ill tell you that I have found a career path for myself however I wont be able to start my own business for another 3 years or so because I know im too naïve to make it a successful sustainable thing. I also do not know enough yet. ive been in the trades for 3 years full time and another year and half part time through highschool co-ops and I can tell you that everything I have learned has never led my astray but I have also forgot to use everything I have learned and its cost time and a hit to my pride.

I would never tell someone they are too old to make a positive change. if its what you have a passion for I cant see any reason why you couldn't do it. some people have a knack for the trade and others struggle but ive seen some shotty work, just take pride and the rest will come.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Crew!

I've been pretty absent from the Forum lately.

Been busy studying up on becoming an Electrician.

There are four (4) basic thing's that need to happen:

1. They need to accept my application

2. If my application is accepted, I need to take a test

3. If I pass the test, I will be interviewed

4. If I pass the interview, I can then be indentured into the IBEW 1186 Union

My progress so far:

1. They need to accept my application  ACCEPTED!

2. I need to take a test WAITING FOR TESTING DATE

3. If I pass the test, I will be interviewed

4. If I pass the interview, I can then be indentured into the IBEW 1186 Union

My testing date will be given sometime next week.

I'll probably still be absent from the forum until then.

Anyway's thanks crew for all your support. I'm very happy to be a part of the crew. Take care!

• Like 1

I'm a sparky for ibew 134 and there's an apprentice who's in his late 40's And he keeps up! why do you want to be a sparky? Just curious. It not all that fun. If I were you I'd go the 399 route and be a stationery engineer.

Aw come on Punda working with you 134 guys is like a party, your not a bunch of stiffs like those 701 dudes! Lol!