Am I Too Old?

Nalu Rash

I'm a sparky for ibew 134 and there's an apprentice who's in his late 40's And he keeps up! why do you want to be a sparky? Just curious. It not all that fun. If I were you I'd go the 399 route and be a stationery engineer.

That's a great question. I've done some very basic residential electrical wiring, and I liked the feeling that I got when everything worked as planned. It's one trade that I enjoy alongside carpentry. I also feel like I would be able to better support my family by working for the IBEW. I don't mind it if it's not a fun job, I've worked in shitty environments for a long time. I don't think of manual labor as fun, but I feel more satisfied doing hands on work.

• Like 1

I don't have a wiggy. I do however have a multimeter and a ncvt. I've never used a wiggy before, it looks like a neon voltage tester or something like that. I'll have to check it out for myself

The wiggy is what we all used many many years ago before multi meters got popular.....didn't see a tester in the picture (tool belt) and just having fun with the wiggy comment, sort of old school  :)

Defo not too old. I was in the Army and had a medical discharge at 27 years old. Started university at 29 (2 years left) and started working in engineering at 31. Not too old at all bud. My university courses (computer science) has loads of people in their 40's. Geez, I even served with a guy from Ohio who joined the Army at 40 years old!

• Like 1

Thank you TIA Crew for all the words of encouragement. I took the test today. I feel fairly confident that I did well, but only time will tell. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for a notice from the IBEW. In the meantime, ill be active on this forum again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you TIA Crew for all the words of encouragement. I took the test today. I feel fairly confident that I did well, but only time will tell. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for a notice from the IBEW. In the meantime, ill be active on this forum again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ahhh, now the wait! I was the same way with the PE exam. That was the longest three months of my life waiting to get those results back! I'm sure you nailed it man you had the whole crew pulling for you. Keep us posted and glad to see you back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1