Choppin off this roof

Why so many layers of shingles?

Just had our roof replaced and the insurance company was super-adamant about us having the old shingles removed...my thought was, "umm. Duh. They need to be replaced. Why wouldn't you remove em?"

Lazy shoe maker roofers because if they remove the old shingles the have to re-sheet the roof so home owners who dont no better ppay up the ass for shit work its bad man

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ah I remember the days ripping off shingles, I was working for a roofing company when I was 18 as part of the tear off crew. Kinda miss that job...

I use to be a flat roofer torching... but now im a framer but we are doing the demo at this house also so we just cut the roof in big chunks but we are going thru sawzall blades like no buddys busniness because of these shingles lol plus we got a shitty dewalt compact sawzall lol what can you do

we got a shitty dewalt compact sawzall lol what can you do

carbide blades and a Milwaukee fuel look out shingles sheeting trusses you name it.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ah I remember the days ripping off shingles, I was working for a roofing company when I was 18 as part of the tear off crew. Kinda miss that job...

You're crazy Mike I don;t miss that job at all, I did that job at that age too, the most labor intensive job I ever did. Putting it back together wasn't that bad but still labor intensive especially with the hurricane code we have, a hundred thousands nails later a new roof. 

You're crazy Mike I don;t miss that job at all, I did that job at that age too, the most labor intensive job I ever did. Putting it back together wasn't that bad but still labor intensive especially with the hurricane code we have, a hundred thousands nails later a new roof.

. Yea the hard labor and coming home itchy and filthy as crap wasn't the best part of the job but we had a great group of guys at the time and plus I really liked that we were in different locations all the time now I'm stuck in one building all day lol!

I only have seen 2 layers here and it is not common to see it, I don't know why up north its so common to see 3-4 layers. I guess you want cheap price you get what you pay for that's why you need a new layer every ten years

Your only supose to have 1 layer up here really... you need 4 ft of ice and water shield and the your shingles just shitty fly by night roofers tryna make a quick buck

Yea I worked for my Dad's roofing company and we only did it once its called re-roofing, the building department said 2 layers is allowed as long as nails penetrate the deck by 1inch. The plywood also has to be nailed every 4 inch on center for hurricane uplift which is no problem if the roof was done not that long ago. We live in a hurricane zone and the roofs here are crazy with the nail spacing so close each shingle gets 6 nails. I don't know why staples are used in some places seems like your wasting your money for it to fly away. I blame homeowners for being cheap putting layers deep down they know its not right they just want it cheap. 

I'm in the process of rebuilding a wrap around porch on a house built in 1872.. started ripping the roof today and it went all the way back to the original roof. 4 layers of asphalt and then this crazy coated canvas layer that I have never seen before.. the most recent layer was probably put on around 30 years ago.. it was in rough shape but actually not leaking at all

The only time i ever see super built up roofs like that are on house like this. Very old and haven't been touched in decades.

What a bitch to rip. Took forever.

Our flat roofs here are another story some probably 6 layers, if it leaks they call there roofer and put another layer on. Then you have all the extra trash

I use to do flat roofing but not tar and gravel i use to torch 2 layers of membrane if dont right witch we would do that shit is gold no leaks and because the membranes have rubber in it with tar and other chemicals lol it will move with the house and not crack or leak really good system for flat roofs or little porches

The torch method leaks here, a lot of times the roof has to be ripped off and redone. Use a tar machine but a lot of people stopped using because of insurance prices and risk of accident. We use peel'n'stick on almost all tile roofs its more money but the sun heats it up and your good to go they also have one for flat roofs but never used it.