Custom Specialty Sets

Conductor562

I end up trailoring my Kubota BX somewhere for work several times each season. Whether it tilling a garden for someone, working on a baseball/football field, or just mowing somewhere, it travels. Last season I got a flat front tire on a baseball field and much to my embarrassment, I didn't have a socket on the truck big enough to take it off. I also need to make depth adjustments to the tiller, so I decided to build a custom specialty set.

The implements are Woods brand and all SAE while the tractor is obviously metric. I went over every inch of all of it and sized every bolt I would ever possibly encounter during a field adjustment/repair. To my surprise, and thanks to thoughtful design, there weren't all that many sizes. If it required a wrench only, a socket only, or both, I accounted for that. In the end I needed 7 wrenches and 4 sockets in SAE, and an especially impressive 2 sockets and 2 wrenches in metric. The only real need for metric wrenches was the 3 point rigging while all other tractor components can be serviced with the sockets or the same 19 mm wrench. The implements require more sizes, but mostly because there are several components that require a wrench and socket in conjunction.

I could have thrown a set together with existing mismatch stock, but I bought most of it. I opted for USA Craftsman for most of the set. It's dependable, affordable, and it's not everyday use stuff, so ergonomics wasn't a concern. I went with 6 point in SAE and 12 point metric to make everything more easily distinguishable.

The drivers are older Blackhawk, the chisel is J.H. Williams, and the larger adjustable is a Tekton, but other than that, it's all Craftsman. The pins are a must and the pin puller is awesome when a pin is in a tight spot.

Missing from the pic is a 12 oz ball peen and a cat 1 draw pin.

I have a small compressor, tire plug kit, and bottle Jack in my trailer box as well. I wanted the set to be robust, but free of anything unnecessary and I think this set accomplished that.

Do any of you guys have custom sets you've assembled? If so, post them up!

post-515-0-67733300-1435962087_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-32135900-1435962113_thumb.jpg

post-515-0-31467500-1435962143_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I dont have special sets like that any longer. But when we go on road trips and such I do make sure to put a kit together that might cover any wierd happenings with the vehicle.

I do have a new Ridgid stack that I put my most often used tools for around the house. Its nice to have something like that to move stuff around with.

All we keep in the toolbox of our tractor is a couple of proto adjustable wrenches and a hammer plus some spare pins. Our tractor doesn't travel though, it always stays on our land. It is different with my truck though. I have a set of 1/4 and 3/8 sockets. I also keep a couple of SAE sets of wrenches too. I hardly have anything metric on my truck so I don't keep metric wrenches.

Since I no longer need my own tools at work my truck is pretty much my mobile shop on call but yet daily driver an plow truck. It trually has everything needed. I have more hand tools in my truck then I do garage. Some power tools are kept as well. The whole backseat is full of tools. I have two topside boxes with welding stuff as well. Oxy an acetylene tank mounts if needed as well as a 10 gallon air tank that I use with my little compresser to run plasma cutter. Of course my miller trailblazer is mounted in the bed.

I did specificity put a kit together for my western snow plow. I have all the common parts, an spare hoses. I also have some random parts for boss plows, not that I have a boss. I think I also have a few for Meyer plows for some odd reason.

I do have four separate tool boxes with chains, shackles, recovery straps. tie downs, chain binders, come along, bungee cords an light rope.

I also have a bunch of oils, greases, brake fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, hydraulic fluid(for plow), chainsaw bar oil, every filter for my miller trailblazers kubota engine, wd40, basically everything I might need. Of course there's duct ant electrical tape as well.

When I was doing my trade on a daily basis I made specific kits for different types of jobs I would do. Like if I had a job where all I was going to do is go lay out a foundation or some structure, I had a bag dedicated to just lay out tools. If I was going to just turn nuts and bolts, had a bag specific to that. I had 4 or 5 different bags in my tool box where I could just go grab the bag and head to work without having to fumble before every job putting together the tools I am going to need.

I do keep a box in my wifes truck with a basic set of sockets screw drivers, pliers, etc. just to make sure we have it in an emergency on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if they still carry them but years back Craftsman had 1/2" drive SAE socket set that included sizes like 17/32 and 19/32 that fit most metric stuff.

Those sizes fit the old 32 volt one cylinder generators too. They had combo wrenches too.