Anyone know anything about the Ryobi RTS20 table saw?

nothandyman

UPDATE 9/5/2010

I can't tell whether this is the same saw as indicated by bradm90; it looks similar, but so do a lot of saws. It wasn't listed anywhere online because the saw is brand new. Just for people's info, the saw is easy to assemble, was well calibrated out of the box, and works pretty well. It doesn't have a heavy duty feel, but it doesn't slip and slide all over the place either. There is no play in the rip fence, but you have to place it by hand, as there's no fine adjustment knob. I did a couple tests and the measurement shown on the table was dead-on to the cut.

It saws nicely through 2xs, and I was able to cut a 4x4 PT post in one pass, although it was pretty slow going.

The rip fence is pretty lightweight, which brings me to a question. I tried doing some very thin cuts - 1/16" or so. The cuts came out pretty well, but I seem to have sliced into the rip fence in doing so. Is this because I wasn't careful enough, or should the saw be designed so that you can't lock the rip fence where it can be cut? I've attached a picture of the damage to the fence.

If anyone has any questions about the saw, just shout.

I just bought this yesterday from HD, but I wanted to check reviews before I opened it. I can't find it anywhere - it's not on Amazon, eBay, CPO or even HomeDepot's website (EVEN THOUGH IT BOUGHT IT AT HOME DEPOT)! Even googling it gets no hits for the right thing.

Yes, it is "RTS", not "BTS".

Does anyone know anything about this saw?? TIA.

-Nothandyman

Edited by nothandyman
UPDATED 9/5/2010

This is basically the same as the Craftsman portable table saw. I don't think the same manufacturer make the same model, but they are a close comparison. If you are looking for a portable table saw for the job site, stay away from the Ryobi in regards to the table saw. They are under powered for a day to day use and everyday. For the home owner they are not to bad. Too things you have to watch for. First the weight. If you are running sheets of plywood through the saw make sure you have weight on the base otherwise the saw is very unstable. Second if you are cutting a lot of hardwood, make sure your blade is always sharp. These saws tend to take less heat build up and wear out quicker with their motors. If you just need a saw you can pack away and are only going to use it for a couple of jobs around the house per year, then it can be a great saw because of easy of movement and price. Again if your a home user, they are not too bad, just take care of the motor.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
UPDATE 9/5/2010

I can't tell whether this is the same saw as indicated by bradm90; it looks similar, but so do a lot of saws. It wasn't listed anywhere online because the saw is brand new. Just for people's info, the saw is easy to assemble, was well calibrated out of the box, and works pretty well. It doesn't have a heavy duty feel, but it doesn't slip and slide all over the place either. There is no play in the rip fence, but you have to place it by hand, as there's no fine adjustment knob. I did a couple tests and the measurement shown on the table was dead-on to the cut.

It saws nicely through 2xs, and I was able to cut a 4x4 PT post in one pass, although it was pretty slow going.

The rip fence is pretty lightweight, which brings me to a question. I tried doing some very thin cuts - 1/16" or so. The cuts came out pretty well, but I seem to have sliced into the rip fence in doing so. Is this because I wasn't careful enough, or should the saw be designed so that you can't lock the rip fence where it can be cut? I've attached a picture of the damage to the fence.

If anyone has any questions about the saw, just shout.

I just bought this yesterday from HD, but I wanted to check reviews before I opened it. I can't find it anywhere - it's not on Amazon, eBay, CPO or even HomeDepot's website (EVEN THOUGH IT BOUGHT IT AT HOME DEPOT)! Even googling it gets no hits for the right thing.

Yes, it is "RTS", not "BTS".

Does anyone know anything about this saw?? TIA.

-Nothandyman

check on line this saw had a recall rts20.