Power Tool Warranty

comp56

for new buyers of power tools something to consider is warranty, now yes I am a Milwaukee fan and no I am not saying just buy Milwaukee BUT.....

people tend to say ya well Milwaukee is always more money blah blah blah .....well consider this:

when you buy a TV or other major appliance for the house you usually get 1 yr warranty and some purchase extended warranty for an additional cost.

the price of Milwaukee tools having 5yr warranty on the tools and 3 on the battery ......that is a whole 2 years more than other brands. Now when you put things in to place the extra warranty and or assurance is worth something and if your thinking longer term the cost of milwaukee isn't that much more......

just my 2 cents ......

• Like 1

The other nice thing about Milwaukee is you can just send it in for warranty repairs. I think that is a lot less of a hassle then driving around to a repair place and just having them send it out or them diagnosing the problem and they have to wait for the parts to repair it. The other thing is a big repair center probably can do the repairs better anyways they have more experience doing it.

out of my Milwaukee tools I own in past 3 to 5 yrs I had 1 saw go fudge instant replacement....and 1 M12 XC battery about 4 months  same thing walked in to repair shop guy grabbed one off shelf I walked out ......easy peasy  

The other nice thing about Milwaukee is you can just send it in for warranty repairs. I think that is a lot less of a hassle then driving around to a repair place and just having them send it out or them diagnosing the problem and they have to wait for the parts to repair it. The other thing is a big repair center probably can do the repairs better anyways they have more experience doing it.

I never knew that. My nearest Milwaukee service center is 45 minutes away so that is great.

if you ever have a problem call milwaukee and they will tell you where to take it, might be right under you and you not know it. when I had a battery problem they told me to go to a shop I never even heard of let alone knew they even sold milwaukee Tools....

I never even heard of any Milwaukee service center in my area, no doubt the nearest one to me is in Seattle which will do me no good. I would most likely have to send the old one back to Milwaukee and then have them send me a new one. I've been told that Milwaukee will actually pay for return shipping so thats really cool!

No Milwaukee will pay for shipping both ways and pickup, so your not paying for anything.

How does warranty work in america? 

What i mean is:  Here in belgium you only got warranty on production errors.     If i burn up the engine on my drill after a year and i sent it up for warranty i'm sure i'll get a ' Burned up engines are NOT warranty and a mistake  in usage by the user' .

Are companies in America more lenient and will they replace all broken things on a powertool( even if obviously by an user error)  ?

I good percentage of the time they will probably warranty it. It would be hard to prove that you did intentially damage the tool, and b they don't want to piss of a customer that will buy more of the tools. Also they don't want negative publicity either. They obviously won't cover fall damage as that is usually pretty obvious.

In Australia companies are quite stringent in regards to user error. Repairers will not approve warranty repairs if a tool is burnt out due to incorrect use, intentional or not. The onus is on the user to know the limitations of their tool.

Personally I think the 5 year period offered by Milwaukee is a good marketing tactic and not much else. They would be well aware that if there is a manufacturing defect it is most likely going to occur within the first 12 months.

Personally I think the 5 year period offered by Milwaukee is a good marketing tactic and not much else. They would be well aware that if there is a manufacturing defect it is most likely going to occur within the first 12 months.

If that were true what would stop everyone from having 5 or even 10 year warranties?

Proving something is the customer's fault is sometimes tough to do. Look at Apple where they put little plastic tabs in their electronics that change color when exposed to water so they can empirically prove the customer submerged the device. Most of Milwaukee's tools today seem to have electronics to shut down the motors to avoid letting the customer release the magic blue smoke from their power tools but they've had that warranty for a while afaik.

All that being said there are lots of other things that fail besides motors getting burned up. Probably the weakest link on many tools is the trigger. Capacitors blow, soldered connections get brittle and break, electronics packages fail and on and on. They are more likely to just fix things under their 5 year warranty than fight with you but it all depends on what and how things were damaged in the end.

I'd like to think that most people are honest and do not try to abuse they warranty system when they break a tool. Milwaukee knows this too, which is why they are not going to want to make the warranty process a big hassle for customers. Unlike other companies who make you go through tons of hoops, and even then, may not honer the warranty! I respect Milwaukee as a company, especially now that they are moving manufacturing back to the USA where it belongs. :)

As opposed to Makita who always kept their factories in the USA running you mean? =p    Just Teasin !  :D

Back to the warranty thing:

Hmmm....

Well I believe it's an actual fact that most if not all manufacturing defects will be seen in the first 12 months. Technicians/repairman who repair these tools will acknowledge this  i think?

If anything breaks / burns up /dies after 12 months i find it really hard to believe it was a manufacturer defect which held on for 12 months and then decides to break. 

Maybe people here in Belgium arent that honest but they will try and get everything under warranty even if it has been clearly mis used buy the user. 

I believe Warranty is more of a commercial marketing thing  ( Brands want to bind customers to them, even by warrantying things that clearly are not manufacturers defects according to the law but just to keep customers happy ) with 1 big negative:  More and more people ( atleast my experience in belgium ) seem to neglect their tools and the maintenace on them because they get 3 years warranty here in belgium.  They know that if they break it within those 3 years... they do not care. Why would they? They've come to expect that their user errors are gonna get covered under warranty anyway.)

I can't find the reight words in English but this years and years of warranty created a sort of negligence in people for their tools/maintenance.

Hello,

I`m working as repair men in Makita, Hitachi, Flex, Milwaukee, Ryobi, AEG Belle/Altrad bla bla... warranty service. In Lithuania is 3 years for Milwaukee tools and 1 years for battery. Customers not understand that warranty is for manufacturer errors. Not for wear and tear. Service trying to do they best to repair everything under warranty, but don`t get lost your head about that. You can simply count if you buy tool and you bring it to warranty service 3 times in 3 years. Profit from your tools is not more then 50% and service replacing armature with carbon brushes etc it will be about 50% of new tools price so how manufacturer can give you warranty for that?  

I think the best warranty I have found is Ridgid.  I am aware that people had problems in the past, but their Lifetime Service Agreement seems hard to beat.  It may be marketing, but I know I had to replace a battery and it was replaced in about a week.  The online registration was pretty easy.  When the battery died I took it into home depot, and their rental counter had me fill out the paperwork while they called it in.  A week later, a battery was at my house.  

I appreciate the milwaukee warranty, and I own a few of their power tools, but my Ridgid sets will always be there.  

I think its just different interpretations on warranty depending on the country. The USA has a very strong interpretation of customer service that the customer is always right now matter what. You hear stories of people returning things to stores than don't even sell them they would rather eat the cost than lose a customer. Over here its a mentality that the squeaky wheel gets the most grease.

I went to the service centre to drop off my M12 sweater yesterday. Showed my online invoice. Didn't even show a model number for the sweater, just showed August 2014 purchase. I got 0 hassles. Hopefully not many people abuse that type of hassle-free service because I'd hate for it to go the way of the dodo. It was a very positive experience that builds trust in the brand to back their products up and reinforces my willingness to buy their products in the future.