Full Kit or Bare Tool -- When and Why?

Doof

I'm about to buy two tools in a battery line I own a few tools and a couple of batteries in. I'm trying to decide if I should buy two bare tools, or a (1 battery) kit and a bare tool. There is a promo bonus battery for a kit purchase (making it 2 batteries in all), so there is that temptation.

I do like the cases, but I'm not overly worried about having them (can get them on the cheap from Amazon if needed). And an extra charger is a take it or leave it. Basically, I could go either way right now.

So, wondering what the thoughts are--when you'd buy one over the other and why?

The tools are the Fuel Paddle Grinder and the Fuel Sawzall. But this should hardly inform the rationale.

Thanks for your words, Guys!

Well with a promotion I would do the route of a kit as you get 2 two batteries for what is it $100 over the cost of a bare tool? It's either you want to save the cash now or later really in that situation. Once you have enough batteries you just want a bare tool.

If you need/want the batteries, its obvious.

If you don't, the only decisions left are whether selling the spare battery/charger will make the skin much cheaper, and if you can be bothered. I always can :)

depends on what batteries you have and what comes in the kit. for both I would say you want 4.0+ Ah battery since they drain faster than you may think. so if you have some 4.0 batteries and don't use all the tools all at the same time and can wait for the recharge then bare tools would save some coin. also if you are really ambitious you can buy the bare tools for now and wait for the new 9.0 battery and just keep one battery with each tool in a case and be fine? I think its up to you but the only way I would personally buy a bare tool is if I had enough batteries to use the tools I need when I need them. currently I only have 2 2.0 batteries and I find im looking for a charged battery once a day. ive been torn between the XC or the 4.0 battery right now but I have also been thinking of adding the fuel circ saw so I might be better off waiting for the 9.0 to come out and see the pricing.

Well with a promotion I would do the route of a kit as you get 2 two batteries for what is it $100 over the cost of a bare tool? It's either you want to save the cash now or later really in that situation. Once you have enough batteries you just want a bare tool.

Diddo..

So, I think I'm in line with several others. Get the tools. I remember when I had M18 tools, I kept buying batteries and battery kits. I'm not a pro, I'm a woodworker and DIY guy so having a half dozen batteries is not good. They sit. Never get used. Buying the extra tools especially if your in need of them, is the best way to go. You've got two hands so if you've got a couple of batteries in cycle, you will always have an extra battery. If you've got a pack in each tool your using, perfect. Physics dictates you can only do so much with each hand..If you got say five batteries and three tools, sure, you'll never run out of juice, but getting that extra job done might not be too easy because you lack the tools.

My M12 Fuel too.s are powered by two 4.0s and one 2.0. I've goth the Fuel Hackzall and Impact plus the rotary tool. Batteries are never a problem. My Bosch tools are powered by one 4.0 and two wireless 2.0s. When I'm using the tools, I cycle the batteries and discharge them regularly so I hope to elongate their usefulness. My Makitas are powered by three 4.0s but one of those two tools runs on two batteries. My Dewalt Nailer, Hammer and Circular are powered by one 3.0 and two 4.0s. Batteries are always being cycled. If I want a new tool, I just get the tool.

I agree if your not needing the extra battery get tools, I have 6 batteries 2 - compact, 2 - XC and 2 - 4.0's 4 tools that use em.....can't use them all at once.....I figure as long as I have 1 compact charged it will give me enough time to charge a bigger battery if I'm in a time sensitive job.....and most of my jobs aren't....I just got the paddle fuel grinder but haven't used it enough to run it straight up to see how long it will run, also I know my fuel circular saw last quit a long time with a 4.0 on it ripping 2x4's....love that saw....just sayin...

I would suggest 1 extra battery over the amount of tools you have. so basic maths 2 tools- 3 batteries, 3 tools- 4 batteries and so on...
however with that being said make sure the batteries are equal to the battery consumption, for example I spent half a day with a 2.0 battery on my impact and I set around 300 3" deck screws on that battery on a fairly regular pace. but if I had say the grinder or circ saw I would up the battery to the 4.0 for arguments sake.

I also use my drill for mixing tile glue. we use old drywall mud buckets so half a bag of mix I think its around a 3 gal bucket? don't hold me to that measurement though lol. anyway on the same 2.0 battery I can make 2.5 buckets fully mixed. if I had a 4.0 I would hazard to guess I get 5 buckets right? its all how you use the tools and like ChrisK said, he never has an issue because he uses them more for DIY or woodwork. if you use them for anything more just be cautious.

Depends on how many tools you have and how many you have on the go at once. I had 6 M18 4.0s, but don't have the need for that many, so my parents inherited one for DIY projects, and I sold one. If I find myself needing more I'll get a pair of 2.0 for convenience. My two highest draw tools are saw and grinder, and I don't use them simultaneously so don't need a huge reserve of batteries.

My M12 are similar, I could probably stand to get rid of one 4.0, but I use the 3rd one mainly for the Bluetooth speaker. Otherwise I juggle 2 other 4.0, 3 2.0 and a 1.5 for Hackzall, impact, drill, stick light and sweaters and it works pretty good.

I would go with the kit, only because of the extra battery though.  You can sell that with the charger and probably end up paying the same thing only you'll have an extra battery.  I don't find saws and grinder kits having a good value since you'll pay about $100 more and only get one battery and charger as opposed to drills and drivers where you get 2 batteries and a charger for equal or less.