Impact driver vs impact wrench for automotive

johnrainor

I'm planning on buying a cordless combo kit that includes the drill-driver and impact driver for some DIY projects, but was wondering if the impact driver could double as an impact wrench. Will the impact driver work well for working on my car with a socket adapter? Or would it be worth purchasing an impact wrench as well. Mostly talking about bolts under the hood or under the car, I don't need it to be able to take lug nuts off. Anyone have any experiences using the impact driver for working on the car?

You can use an impact driver that way, but like Bremon mentioned you do have some limitations over the impact wrench. The difference in a compact impact wrench and impact driver is pretty much just the anvil though, but the wrench allows for a more compact tool.

Under the hood the impact driver is probably OK for loosening bolts but for fastening lots of those bolts probably should de done by hand with torque wrenches. I don't think you need a full blown wrench unless you really work on large rusted bolts, there is a reason they spec wrenches in ft. Lbs. instead of in. Lbs like drivers, and why they mention "nut busting torque". If you were doing lots of exhaust systems, lugs and suspension bolt I'd say you'll be much better off with a wrench but just loosening under hood stuff the driver should be fine.

• Like 1

Yeah I think you would be fine with an impact driver. I have the Milwaukee 2656-80 and it does fine. Like others said tightening some of the bolts should be done with a ratchet or torque wrench. But my impact has no problem taking off lug nuts on a Jeep, however for constantly doing things like that you should have an impact wrench.

Yeah I think you would be fine with an impact driver. I have the Milwaukee 2656-80 and it does fine. Like others said tightening some of the bolts should be done with a ratchet or torque wrench. But my impact has no problem taking off lug nuts on a Jeep, however for constantly doing things like that you should have an impact wrench.

I use my DeWalt Impact Driver all the time with an adapter when working on cars. I am going to get an 20V DeWalt Impact Wrench soon though, both 3/8" and 1/2". I do quite a bit of automotive work on the side, so it saves me quite a bit of time.

I would say that the impact driver is much more versatile then the impact wrench, but the impact wrench will take of much larger and tighter bolt and nuts. I take a lot of things apart from lawn tractors to computers and the impact driver has done just fine, there also good for driving big lagbolts and screws into wood                       oh and don't use a impact driver to tighten bolts and nuts that need to be really tight there not very good for that

Wow, interesting. I was looking into Makita and Milwaukee but I'll take a look at the rest of Bosch's lineup

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/6700-which-18v-brandplatform-is-best-you-for-try-this-calculator/

I believe that TIA video was a sponsored one by Bosch? But either way, its a cool tool. I'm about to buy one...

Most people don't need a HT Wrench, I sold mine. If a compact wrench can remove your lug nuts, why would you need something bigger, heavier and 3-5 x more powerful?

I fit into that category. I ended up selling my HT wrench and getting a compact 3/8" wrench. I have a lot more use for it and it doesn't have any trouble pulling normal lugs.

People often forget that these wrenches are not just for lugs, they are for rusted CV-joints, breaks, exaust systems. See, once a vehicle gets old, the parts are often rusted, and thats where you need the power. Because if you have a lack of power, then you will have to start doing what I used to do when I had a crappy impact. You will have to use a combination of PB-blaster to penetrate the rusted bolt or nut, and then you will have to attack it with a propane torch to really heat the metal up. Then, maybe then, you will get that bolt or nut off.

But I do agree, if your not doing agressive vehicle restoration, then you don't need that kind of power. I am not going to stand here and tell you that you need to buy the biggest and baddest wrench there is. No, I am simply saying, buy the right tool for the job, buy what you think you are going to need, and that will probably be the right answer. Cause at the end of the day, only you know what you want or need. We are just here to help you justify your purchase ;)

I agree. There are some places where that extra torque would come in very handy. I think about how useful it would be for heavy equipment. You would still need to use pb blaster and maybe heat for rusted bolts. The 2763 could just snap the bolt off otherwise.

I think the kit with the 2763, 2654, and Led light would be awesome.

• Like 2