Impact driver vs impact wrench for automotive

johnrainor

Yeah big mike It came last week. I need to post a picture. It's already dirty and got a few scratches on it from trying to get in some tight spaces.

Once again congrats Chad and for sure bro post some pics of that bad boy!! I hope to also pick one of these up in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish the pile of red batteries I have would fit that. I looked at one at lowes last weekend. That is a nice impact.

Yeah, my thoughts too. I already have 12 and 18v Milwaukie and 18v Makita. I hate (okay, okay, am mildly disturbed) the thought of another charger and battery cost.

People often forget that these wrenches are not just for lugs, they are for rusted CV-joints, breaks, exaust systems. See, once a vehicle gets old, the parts are often rusted, and thats where you need the power. Because if you have a lack of power, then you will have to start doing what I used to do when I had a crappy impact. You will have to use a combination of PB-blaster to penetrate the rusted bolt or nut, and then you will have to attack it with a propane torch to really heat the metal up. Then, maybe then, you will get that bolt or nut off.

But I do agree, if your not doing agressive vehicle restoration, then you don't need that kind of power. I am not going to stand here and tell you that you need to buy the biggest and baddest wrench there is. No, I am simply saying, buy the right tool for the job, buy what you think you are going to need, and that will probably be the right answer. Cause at the end of the day, only you know what you want or need. We are just here to help you justify your purchase ;)

When I bought my 2763 it was to replace my air impact that I only pulled out for those tight rusted nuts.  I'm finding many more uses for it.  This week I went to replace the blades on my lawn tractor.  The bolts holding the blades where so tight that I started to find a block of wood to hold the blade as I take a breaker bar to loosen the nut.  Then I thought about the 2763.  I grabbed it and seconds later three blades where off.

I agree with what many have said, an impact driver will serve you plenty well..

unless your a mechanic with a need for a big impact every day you are much better off just getting the driver and having more versitaliity.. you will be able to do almost everything you might want to do to a car with it..

I use my impact driver on my truck whenever necessary.. if I run into a stubborn nut or bolt that it won't loosen I just Crack it loose with a breaker bar first then spin it off the rest of the way with the driver.. the few extra seconds it takes doesn't matter to me because that's not what I'm doing all day long or to make money.