using a impact driver as a hammer drill?

justin22

I remember seeing someone use a metal bit with a regular corded drill to drill through a poured wall, it took them forever but they did it

It's the Internet man, we've all seen all kinds of videos of people doing all kinds of stupid things. TIA had a jobsite fail video of someone demoing a concrete floor they were standing on, and falling through to the basement.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. I try to work the most ergonomic way possible, and try to give my tools the same consideration. Things last longer when they aren't put under the potential stress of uses they weren't intended particular intended for.

As mentioned, an impact makes a poor hammer drill because the impact mechanism and the hammer mechanism are different applications of a similar design. Same reason a hammer drill is a poor mans SDS rotary hammer.

This isn't to say I haven't abused tools before. In a pinch it will work, but it's a temporary solution to hopefully a short term problem. Long term use and common sense dictates getting a better tool for the specific application.

• Like 1

It's the Internet man, we've all seen all kinds of videos of people doing all kinds of stupid things. TIA had a jobsite fail video of someone demoing a concrete floor they were standing on, and falling through to the basement.

Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. I try to work the most ergonomic way possible, and try to give my tools the same consideration. Things last longer when they aren't put under the potential stress of uses they weren't intended particular intended for.

As mentioned, an impact makes a poor hammer drill because the impact mechanism and the hammer mechanism are different applications of a similar design. Same reason a hammer drill is a poor mans SDS rotary hammer.

This isn't to say I haven't abused tools before. In a pinch it will work, but it's a temporary solution to hopefully a short term problem. Long term use and common sense dictates getting a better tool for the specific application.

Yup I agree on everything you said

That sums it up pretty well.

I guess a person could just hit the back of the impact driver with a little sledge hammer while it's turning to get the hammering action.

From my experience a rotary hammer is the way to go. If you don't drill very often or only drill really small holes a hammer drill will work good. I would only want to use an impact driver as a last resort.

LOL! I recently had to do that. I know exactly what you are talking about.

I picked up some carbide bits built for tile and glass. I used an aerosol cap to set up a little water container. Then drill, drill, drill, drill, drill, and drill some more. The tip of the bit was starting to round off and it had barely started into the porcelain. I looked at the package and there in the fine print it said "not for porcelain tile". Another lesson learned the hard way. So after another trip to go pick up a diamond bit I finally got them drilled.

Yeah I was shocked how hard the tile was. It was one of those gray 12x24 gray HD tiles. I was impressed how durable the glaze was. I don't know how they can sell them for $1.99 ft^2. After some experimentation I found it was best to use the masonry bit to make a hole in the glaze and then switch to the diamond core bit so it wouldn't be able to walk out.