DeWalt DWS 780. why is the blade off center to the left side?

Mountain_Lion

The most important thing is the blade is parellel or in perfect alignment with the slides. There is a check for this. Set up the saw so it makes perfect 90degree cuts. Take a 14" wide board and clamp it. Pull saw head to full extension and make a plung cut and pull head up and make a plunge cut with the head pushed all the way back. The cuts with a square should line up. The blade being to the left or right should only affect how much you have to pitch or turn the miter detente plate as it does have some fore and aft mo ability. The blade could be so far to the left or right that you are unable to adjust the detente plate enough.

I totally agree with you. Moving the upper motor support frame left or right should not effect the parallel trueness to the rails. In other words it will not change the alignment of the blade in relation to the rails. 90 deg. cuts will remain the same. All that should happen is the blade will move between the kerf plates by sliding on the horizontal shaft and remain 90 deg to the table assuming the blade is already set up properly.

I just went down to the basement to check the saw again. This is really bugging me. I measured the gap between the two kerf plates and its 3/8" wide. I measured to the right of the saw blade and there's about 3/16" gap. I looked at the pivot shaft and noticed that the left side not only looked liked it had a little more space than the right spacer but the gap was full of saw dust. After I brushed it out, it was pretty obvious that the left spacer has a little less than a 1/8" gap. The second picture that's turned sideways doesn't show the gap because it was taken before I noticed it was full of packed dust. You would think that they should both be at least centered. The right spacer is up against the Trunnion which is what supports the shaft that has the torsion spring around it and mounts to the two slide rails. I believe the torsion spring Is pushing the upper arm assembly that the motor is mounted to the right because of the high tension trying to unwind. If the person assembling the saws at the factory doesn't take the time to center the blade by this adjustment then that explains why some are off to one side. Bottom line, if I loosen the two set screws and move the two spacers and spring to the left the whole upper arm assembly will shift to the left also. This will place the blade almost if not dead center between the kerf plates. This adjustment is something that is not covered in the owners manual in the set up instructions. It should have been done correctly at the factory but we all know how that goes. This is why some are centered and some are almost touching the left kerf plate. Next chance I get I'll change it.

• 4 years later...