Real wood exterior door question...

JerryNY

I saw a very nice real mahogany door on sale and read the fine print where it states the warranty is void if you don't have the door protected with an overhang of something like 1/2 the height of the door i.e. 80 inch door requires 40 inch overhang to protect from exposure to the elements. I have probably about 1/2 that overhang on my front door which faces West. My question is how much is this CYA warranty games so they can avoid warranty claims and how much is it that the door will become ruined. It's a dark stained mahogany color with clear poly on top. I really don't see a problem with it and I know unlike the fiberglass doors, some of which are amazing realistic wood grain to be honest, it will need to be re-pollyed at some point but it's such a nice door that's the breaks. I figure all I have is a 100 year old door with 30 layers of paint on it now so a poly covered door has to be better than that...

take a chance, if it is a quality built door and it only lasts 5 or 10 years instead of their warranty you can redo it yourself but in the mean time you have enjoyed the door.........or get it install it and wait........................................if you think you need to have it go thru warranty put the 40" over hang on the house......take picture and send it in for repair....

I'm currently doing a complete reno gut job on my house and it is over 115 yrs old, funny how you come across stuff that looks like brand new after all that time but yet the new stuff has a 25 yr warranty on it.

I'm currently doing a complete reno gut job on my house and it is over 115 yrs old, funny how you come across stuff that looks like brand new after all that time but yet the new stuff has a 25 yr warranty on it.

Yeah, they built stuff crazy well years ago. Most of the original interior doors on the 2nd and 3rd floors have the original 100 y/o 5 panel oak doors and trim in 5" oak which was painted unfortunately along with all the massive brass hardware. The good thing was the painted brass apparently preserved it so after taking all the iron working bits apart and putting the brass in a crockpot and some detergent I got this:

Yeah I've done like 14 of them and they all look amazing. The house must have been owned by wealthy people at the time because they even vary in finish. The 3rd floor ones had a more coppery finish, the second were polished brass and the bathroom doors had polished brass outside in the hall and nickel plated inside the bathroom. They, along with the hinges, weight at least 4-5x's their modern equivalent.

Almost brand new, Iwish I had that in my house. Why the heck would someone paint over that, people have no idea what there doing some time

I almost forgot to mention they are insanely easy to remove. Just unscrew the 4 on the front back plates and the whole assembly slides right out, knobs and all. The doors don't have holes, they are notched with a rectangular cutout they fit into. It takes less time to take them off than it would be to cut in around them or tape them. Of course just painting over the whole thing is still easier, but a crime alas.

The inner workings were a little more involved and a bit of a pain but after three or four I got pretty good at assembly.

Yeah they even had a brass plate in the middle of what used to be the dining room floor for an electric button to ring the servants. In the walls I found the old batteries from some electrics company in Coney Island for the button I think and a transformer from Edison that looked to be added later and the knob and tubes elsewhere, long since disconnected thank god, were fun to look at too. They must have been very early electricity adopters lol.

Almost brand new, Iwish I had that in my house. Why the heck would someone paint over that, people have no idea what there doing some time

True story.....there was a time when oak doors and trim was used in homes so much because it was plentiful and cheap this became so common people started to become ashamed to have it in their homes so they started to paint over it. 60-75 years later people want it again and wonder why so many people painted it....

I saw a very nice real mahogany door on sale and read the fine print where it states the warranty is void if you don't have the door protected with an overhang of something like 1/2 the height of the door i.e. 80 inch door requires 40 inch overhang to protect from exposure to the elements. I have probably about 1/2 that overhang on my front door which faces West. My question is how much is this CYA warranty games so they can avoid warranty claims and how much is it that the door will become ruined. It's a dark stained mahogany color with clear poly on top. I really don't see a problem with it and I know unlike the fiberglass doors, some of which are amazing realistic wood grain to be honest, it will need to be re-pollyed at some point but it's such a nice door that's the breaks. I figure all I have is a 100 year old door with 30 layers of paint on it now so a poly covered door has to be better than that...

is it a solid mahogany door or a veneer. That have a lot to do with it