Brushed Vs Brushless

Justin Hernandez

Oh the price will without a doubt come down, that's a given. Just like when blu ray players first came out, they were a fortune. Now you can pick up a blu ray player for under $50. It's only a matter of time before brushed power tools become a thing of the past. I'm not saying it's going to happen tomorrow or anything but in 10 years it might be hard to find a brushed tool in Lowes or Home Depot. Even the orange Black & Decker, Kobalt, Ryobi etc. will all end up brushless at some point.

I'm going to stray a bit off topic here...

Honestly with all of these advancements in power tools we who own and purchase the Milwaukee's, Makita's and DeWalt's are going to be the guinea pigs for the industry. Once Stanley Black & Decker and all the other big boys have all this stuff down where you tool talks to your phone and gives you updates they will put it into every product they make. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if they eventually come out with a tape measure and framing square that talk to your phone. Next thing you know your getting alerts asking if you need advise on what your working on just because your using the tools. Really for the average homeowner, that may be a huge selling point to where they can get advise and what not right when they are doing the job.

With lawsuits and what not I wouldn't be shocked if one day your circular saw could tell you rigged the retractable guard to always be open or your grinder new you took the guard off and would not operate due to that. 

Frankly, I would be shocked at that. There are already disclaimers etc. to protect manufacturers from liability. What you're describing sounds like a dystopian nightmare Big Brother state. Plus, phones aren't reliable enough for that. Project costs would skyrocket due to tools being useless because of cell phones losing service or dying lol. Could function on Bluetooth or something though (oh crap, I shouldn't give Big Brother ideas!).

I know what your saying but this whole technology with the cell phone and apps is where everything is going. People today don't wear a $10 pedometer, they buy a $100 fitbit to track their steps throughout the day. I know some of those things measure your heart beat too but we always just used a stop watch and counted our pulse, LOL. It's crazy what people are willing to pay for these days.

What I am referring to is actually already appearing with the Ryobi Phone Works, DeWalt Bluetooth and just maybe the Milwaukee One Key that will be announced in a few days.

Another thing that is going to work it's way into the trades are tablets. Your going to see people from all trades walking around with industrial tablets that not only have their work order but loaded with the blue prints, safety information and instructions on how to do the job properly. I know of several companies who already have this in the works. This is becoming an answer to companies with a work force that is less and less experienced.

Sorry for getting so off topic of the original thread.

I still don't see the trend. I see the trend of tablets and phones integrating into better convenience and productivity on site. They are becoming more common with the Clipboards on site, I am one part of the time. I don't see them being more common with ground level field workers. They are just one more thing to break.

Plans will be more common on phones etc., IKEA style instructions and advice on how to do the job is something I hope not to see in my lifetime, as it means no one should have any faith in the person building this stuff. The tool lockout for grinder with no guard or saw with the guard held back is also unlikely to happen. With saws, it makes plunge cuts easier. Tool companies tout how they increase user productivity and ease of work. What you're talking about is like taking tools *out* of a persons pouch/repertoire. It is an interesting topic to discuss though, and I can see how this could be a talking point among the grey beards on site who, as usual, don't see anything wrong with the status quo re.; brushed vs brushless.

"I do believe that the manufacture presses a button everyday at the factory killing tools that warranty just expired the day before."

Ignored the rest of the post as soon as i saw this. 

Thanks for taking the time out of you're busy day to read this. Have a nice day!!!!  :)

• Like 2