Grinder

Bmill25

I use my grinder with a diamond blade to cut stone veneer and brick. Sometime I use it to grind out joints to repair them. It's probably not the best idea to use a 5" blade on a 4.5" grinder but I saw someone talking about how they do it.

- Does the disc rpm exceed your grinder?

- Does the disc fit your blade guard?

- Does you grinder have enough power?

If so go ahead, but you're almost certainly going to grind faster with a 4-1/2 inch disc.  Larger discs bog down before you can get enough pressure for the grit to dig.

They don't just shake a magic-eight-ball to determine the size rating of a grinder and if they did I doubt any of us would have one to answer your question.  They just just optimizing motor power then building safety features around that grinder type.

I have two m18 fuel grinders an a m18 regular grinder(that needs repair) an the fuel grinders have 5" guards that fit them.

As far as weather a wheel will work or not if it doesn't fit the guard an spindle or exceeds max rpm don't use the wheel. Grinders are under estimated in the amount of damage they can do.

• 6 months later...

Related to Grinders... I have the M18 fuel grinder and it has 5/8"-11 arbor. The only blades I can find at HD either have 7/8" arbor or they have 5/8 arbor but are only a 4" wheel. Can I use the 7/8 size with some kind of adapter or something? Or do I have to special order a blade?

I'm with comp, I know all tools can be dangerous, but grinders can be especially nasty. Unless the manufacturer states it, I probably would keep with the 4-1/2. Of course that is just my .02.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Related to Grinders... I have the M18 fuel grinder and it has 5/8"-11 arbor. The only blades I can find at HD either have 7/8" arbor or they have 5/8 arbor but are only a 4" wheel. Can I use the 7/8 size with some kind of adapter or something? Or do I have to special order a blade?

My corded Milwaukee grinder has a washer that has a raised portion that is 7/8 and the wheels work fine on them. I would think your grinder is the same.

yes disc ratings are probably overlooked the most, how many times do you check to make sure the grinder will spin the wheel to fast?

thing with grinders is there are three things to worry about, the grinder itself, the wheel used and then the operator I have seen some nasty stuff and will say my Milwaukee fuel grinder is probably the most respected tool in my shop.....

here is one:

you need a new grinding disc, the young guy is grabbing a box from the truck.....unannounced to you he fumbles and drops the box and don't think nothing of it comes in the shop and puts the box right near you.....in a hurry you rip open the box and slap on a new disc...unfortunately there now is a hair line crack and it flies to pieces as soon as you start grinding.......

5/8-11 is the threading on the arbor and typically for 5/8-11 threading the flange around the arbor has a 7/8" ring to use 7/8" blades.  Just try a 7/8" blade and it should fit.  It's actually unsafe to use this with 5/8" blades if it has that ring on the flange for 7/8" blades because the clamping surfaces don't align and it can cause the blade to fail.

My corded Milwaukee grinder has a washer that has a raised portion that is 7/8 and the wheels work fine on them. I would think your grinder is the same.

the raised portion is not for larger holes in the disc/wheel it is for different thickness of the wheel or disc..

Capture_1.png

• Like 2