Home Free TV Show

comp56

has anyone seen Home Free tv show? hosted by Mike Holmes 8 couples work on renovating a house each week and are hoping not to get eliminated from the show ...these couples are total noobies at any of this work....the couple that gets eliminated gets the house they worked on that week....each week the houses are getting bigger and better.......the thing is none of them know they get the house if they get sent packing...... 

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/07/22/mike-holmes-helps-deserving-families-become-home-free/

Not a fan of Holmes, but this is a totally different show and the idea of a free house is crazy 

how could you?!

years and years ago when i started watching hgtv or diy, his shows always grabbed my attention because he genuinely seemed to be pissed off when builders/contractors/tradesman didn't do their jobs properly. it opened my eyes to the fact that not everyone with a tool in their hand really knows what they're doing, and often times you really get what you pay for. yeah, he was a little extreme. and now i understand that although the jobs weren't done correctly, that doesn't mean that there was any malicious intent by the guys that did the work. some guys just don't know everything they need to, and hell lots of owners tell these guys to cut corners if it saves money. i was always entertained by him, though. i might check out the show if i can find it.

how could you?!

years and years ago when i started watching hgtv or diy, his shows always grabbed my attention because he genuinely seemed to be pissed off when builders/contractors/tradesman didn't do their jobs properly. it opened my eyes to the fact that not everyone with a tool in their hand really knows what they're doing, and often times you really get what you pay for. yeah, he was a little extreme. and now i understand that although the jobs weren't done correctly, that doesn't mean that there was any malicious intent by the guys that did the work. some guys just don't know everything they need to, and hell lots of owners tell these guys to cut corners if it saves money. i was always entertained by him, though. i might check out the show if i can find it.

The homeowners are more to blame than the contractors just like you were saying they want it done as cheap as possible  

Justin, I tend to disagree. There's always people, including contractors, looking to screw u. Homeowners try to do their homework on these guys, but that doesn't mean they r not going to get screwed. If the contractor does a shitty job, he's to blame not the homeowners. He's responsible for his own work and nobody else.

as a home owner and if I needed a contractor to do something (pretty much do everything myself but...) and wanted to cut corners to save I would hope the contractor explains to me why it is wrong, if the contractor goes ahead and just does it I don't think that is very professional. not only that it is his name on the work.......future problems .....you did this crap....oh XXX contracting...... they don't get to say well customer wanted it that why.....

it's because it the nature of the field, no different that computer repair shops, auto shops, things like this can easily be translated into something it does not need to be. its easy to say you need this and that and ya don't or you need this or that and it cost more and ya didn't need it.....

Justin, I tend to disagree. There's always people, including contractors, looking to screw u. Homeowners try to do their homework on these guys, but that doesn't mean they r not going to get screwed. If the contractor does a shitty job, he's to blame not the homeowners. He's responsible for his own work and nobody else.

I know, maybe I should have worded it differently. What bothers me is the homeowners on the show are clueless when it comes to permits and they just go by what the contractor says. They never ask to see the permit card which in most cases doesn't exist, 90 percent of my work is done with permits they are very strict here every job needs a permit. I joke around all the time saying you need a permit to change a light bulb and in some cases that's true. I just wish they ask questions and ask for paperwork and maybe they might have had a better outcome.