What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, at work with only a Gerber multitool on my person.  Waiting to pick up machine guns and my phone needed a charge but the Durastar "deuce" cigarette lighter hasn't worked for at least a year, so some basic troubleshooting was in order.

Checked the fuse and swapped it out with another 15A fuse from the panel: nothing.

Removed the trim and a storage compartment just above the lighter and checked the connections: all was good.

Removed the lighter, disassembled it, and found some oxidation on the housing and internal components; cleaned, reassembled and put it back: success!

Now I'm streaming the Jason Ellis Show on SiriusXM and browsing the web while using my DeWalt inverter to charge the phone.

• Like 1

I wanted to install some skylights but they were turning out to be very expensive if bought pre-made and I didn't have guys with enough expertise that would make it on the spot.

Also heard about leaking issues and the general inexperience of workers in India in installing skylights made it even more difficult for me go ahead with installing them.

So I had to find an alternate. The roof is made of metal sheets. I found a manufacturer who was willing to build me transparent polycarbonate sheets with the same profile as those of my metal sheets. That meant I could install them without any chances of leakage. Cost was also very cheap at just $2 per sq ft. So ordered them and installed them today.

This is going to be either a small home gym or a home office. These are two 10 ft sheets running through the length of the roof of this room in the centre.

IMG_20170723_185916.thumb.jpg.fef4fc55176afeb9b1d8a7677a11feb1.jpg

This is one of the bedrooms -

IMG_20170723_191712.thumb.jpg.4f3afa7e74bee732887ce4b7dd1df8aa.jpg

And this is how it looks from the outside -

IMG_20170723_190236.thumb.jpg.cccf1ec29cdedcbe364741f34dcc7fc1.jpg

As you can see they have the same profile as the metal sheets so there won't be any chance of leakage. The polycarbonate sheets are treated with UV protection and come with a 10 year guarantee.

After the installation of the vaulted false ceiling it will look just like a skylight. Will post pics when that work is finished.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, rdst_1 said:

I wanted to install some skylights but they were turning out to be very expensive if bought pre-made and I didn't have guys with enough expertise that would make it on the spot.

Also heard about leaking issues and the general inexperience of workers in India in installing skylights made it even more difficult for me go ahead with installing them.

So I had to find an alternate. The roof is made of metal sheets. I found a manufacturer who was willing to build me transparent polycarbonate sheets with the same profile as those of my metal sheets. That meant I could install them without any chances of leakage. Cost was also very cheap at just $2 per sq ft. So ordered them and installed them today.

This is going to be either a small home gym or a home office. These are two 10 ft sheets running through the length of the roof of this room in the centre.

As you can see they have the same profile as the metal sheets so there won't be any chance of leakage. The polycarbonate sheets are treated with UV protection and come with a 10 year guarantee.

After the installation of the vaulted false ceiling it will look just like a skylight. Will post pics when that work is finished.

Looks great!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 10:51 AM, rdst_1 said:

Definitely interesting and different framing in there. That's cool seeing your part of the country. The panels you put in are common enough around here in barns and shops that I would have done the same thing as you to save a lot of money vs a skylight. The red looks sharp too, like Milwaukee red!!

2017-07-30_05-16-35

Got the old tired Polaris running again finally!!! Bosch 12v helping out putting things back together after it helped disassemble it first. Cleaned out the carb, new gas, cleaned out transfer case cover where some mice had built a nest... But it runs!!!

• Like 3

On 7/31/2017 at 5:57 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Definitely interesting and different framing in there. That's cool seeing your part of the country. The panels you put in are common enough around here in barns and shops that I would have done the same thing as you to save a lot of money vs a skylight. The red looks sharp too, like Milwaukee red!!

That's some old school framing style for sure. Usually people prefer to build a frame using square hollow iron tubing by welding it together but that doesn't work well for a vaulted ceiling unless using heavy U-channels. Have seen enough century old houses built with this type of framing and it is still quite prevalent over here when people want a vaulted false ceiling made from wood planks.

These are eucalyptus logs and then fir rafters put on top to make the surface level for the metal sheets.

The metal sheets have also become the de-facto choice for houses in the hilly areas over here. These come with a 25 year color warranty and have replaced the roof tiles made from slate stone that were used earlier.

I'll post some pics of the house later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this project is coming to completion, the owners have moved in and the inside is 99.999999% done with what I'm contracted for.  Sure there's some exterior work to be finished, mostly the decks but I'm happy to see the place lived in (actually I suprized myself for warm and fuzzy I feel about it lol)

IMG_20170815_103224.jpg

IMG_20170815_103235.jpg

IMG_20170815_103248.jpg

IMG_20170815_103259.jpg

IMG_20170815_103313.jpg

IMG_20170815_103330.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not today but recently, made a couple of large jigsaw puzzles for the company picnic. They're around 4 feet on the long side. Fun to make, made out of some cheapo Masonite/composite/shitty compressed board-type stuff that comes in with some of the products we sell. I use the stuff for a ton of things at work, comes in really handy...

IMG_1931 a.jpg

IMG_1941 a.jpg

Jigsaw 003.jpg

Jigsaw 004.jpg

Tried fixing up an old work table in my garage. I suppose I did alright for my first time rebuilding a workbench. I added casters, a shelf, and attempted to strengthen/resquare. I just hope my tools are square. I haven't done any "calibration" on my tools. I wouldn't know where to start if I did. I also put up some cheap light fixtures to give some extra light. I hung them off some ceiling utility hooks. Will next attempt to repurpose an old dresser we use in the garage as a second work surface. 

• 3 weeks later...

Today I had to pat myself on the back a little. My dad dropped his glasses yesterday and broke the tiny screw off in the tiny hole that holds them together. 

He he went to the eye Doctor and was told he'd have to replace the frames as they had no way of getting the screw fragment out without tearing them up. 

I cut a wood wood block to the exact height of the hinge, chucked a .65 mm drill bit designed for a dremel up in my drill press, and using extreme finesse, drilled that little bitch right out like a boss. No damage to the threads at all. 

IMG_8249.thumb.JPG.ee974d0c2d019319bd66e895a0e237c2.JPG

I bought this little bit set years ago for under $10. Prior to today they had only been used a handful of times to drill through fingernails to release the pressure after I smashed them. By the time you figure what a doctor would have charged to do that, and the cost of a new pair of glasses, these little bastards have been a pretty strong investment. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...