What did you do today? A thread dedicated to the general use of tools in your projects.

99_XC600

On 12/20/2017 at 11:33 AM, T75R said:

BMack! Those look great man.  You should sell a few. I’m sure people would buy them

Thanks! Sorry I missed this earlier! I've had a few people try to commission me, it's hard to price out because it's basically a cutting board with hardware...not sure how many people want to pay $50+ for a clipboard! Though I think $50 would be reasonable compared to the $30 clipboards I see on etsy, I'm kind of a perfectionist. I think the rivets compared to a phillips screws are a huge deal to the aesthetics, as far as I can tell I'm the only one that is doing that.   

• Like 1

On 12/29/2017 at 3:29 AM, BMack37 said:

Thanks! Sorry I missed this earlier! I've had a few people try to commission me, it's hard to price out because it's basically a cutting board with hardware...not sure how many people want to pay $50+ for a clipboard! Though I think $50 would be reasonable compared to the $30 clipboards I see on etsy, I'm kind of a perfectionist. I think the rivets compared to a phillips screws are a huge deal to the aesthetics, as far as I can tell I'm the only one that is doing that.   

You should patent it!

• Haha 1

This wasn't today, I've been sick for like three weeks so I haven't done much but this was the last project I did. It started with a Sarge folding knife kit I won in a giveaway.

I combined scraps of hard maple, walnut and cherry and did a rough shape on the bandsaw then cut them length-wise so I had matching scales.

46c1EqH.jpg

Sanding, lots of sanding and shaping(and more after this picture):

5CUtmqb.jpg

Finished with three coats of Waterlox and polished the Waterlox finish with Simichrome.

35YM8oh.jpg

gV4iWxR.jpg

• Like 8

Spent yesterday organizing and adding shelfs and storage to the tool trailer, it's got alot more to be done but much more useful now.
IMG_20170706_163700.thumb.jpg.35d6b464be8bfacc44f779eb38d05ddb.jpg

IDK if you are on ContractorTalk, but if you're not you need to be.

Search up trailers/organization.Tons of ideas in those threads.I have used a lot of the ideas in my van. I have more tools organized in my van than most contractors around here have piled on the floor of their 7x14 enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

The best trailer solution I have seen which is far from perfect is basically a tool trailer turned inside out. instead of going into the trailer you have access to everything from the outside. There were also spots for a miter saw and a table saw to where they are setup in the trailer and all you gotta do is plug the trailer in for them to work. It is not very practical for lots of tool boxes but I think the fact your two main saws are already setup and ready to go makes up for it.

Making a sign for my daughter, it'll have her horses name on it and it'll get hung on the horses stall at the barn. Used the Ryobi trim router to do the edges, nice router for sure. Haven't decided on whether I'll use the router for the name or if I'll engrave it in with the Dremel...

IMG_0104 a.jpg

• Like 5

Nothing super interesting just a shop project. I put together a small parts/cross cut sled for my DW745 table saw. I had to cut down some smaller pieces of wood that didn’t sit real well against my miter gauge and have some more that are too short to reach the blade from either slot.

After seeing this style of sled on a couple of YouTube channels and actually using it I really like the single side, fence at the rear sleds. It’s easy to hold on to pieces, lightweight, and you don’t have to worry about pushing it off in order to cut through a piece so I don’t have to worry about an outfeed table.

I plan on rebuilding it in the near future so I can make it adjustable since right now it only works well for narrow items. I’m using the MicroJig zeroplay system for the miter slot and it works really well. The instructions say to put nickels in the slot to set the bar width and a nickel won’t fit in my miter slot, so there was some trial and error.

D9E68730-2561-4059-91C5-8A552303EDE6.thumb.jpeg.5f6c577af46016ec4eb679a810a0ebec.jpeg335A07D7-BE7B-48A3-A102-0376F2B781C7.thumb.jpeg.3f1a19611ef9774c53118cdbb86d216a.jpeg781161E5-F07B-4D10-B065-D6A5C1F5BD0E.thumb.jpeg.6147251ebee1183c9923014af1141e43.jpeg

This is was my first time using the hex shank Milwaukee drill bits in my Makita impact and it worked ok but I had some issues putting a 1/4” hole through the 3 layers of MDF for the fence. I’m not sure if it was because of the impact or just an issue with the bit getting through the glue between the small pieces.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, jtkendall said:

Nothing super interesting just a shop project. I put together a small parts/cross cut sled for my DW745 table saw. I had to cut down some smaller pieces of wood that didn’t sit real well against my miter gauge and have some more that are too short to reach the blade from either slot.

After seeing this style of sled on a couple of YouTube channels and actually using it I really like the single side, fence at the rear sleds. It’s easy to hold on to pieces, lightweight, and you don’t have to worry about pushing it off in order to cut through a piece so I don’t have to worry about an outfeed table.

I plan on rebuilding it in the near future so I can make it adjustable since right now it only works well for narrow items. I’m using the MicroJig zeroplay system for the miter slot and it works really well. The instructions say to put nickels in the slot to set the bar width and a nickel won’t fit in my miter slot, so there was some trial and error.

D9E68730-2561-4059-91C5-8A552303EDE6.thumb.jpeg.5f6c577af46016ec4eb679a810a0ebec.jpeg335A07D7-BE7B-48A3-A102-0376F2B781C7.thumb.jpeg.3f1a19611ef9774c53118cdbb86d216a.jpeg781161E5-F07B-4D10-B065-D6A5C1F5BD0E.thumb.jpeg.6147251ebee1183c9923014af1141e43.jpeg

This is was my first time using the hex shank Milwaukee drill bits in my Makita impact and it worked ok but I had some issues putting a 1/4” hole through the 3 layers of MDF for the fence. I’m not sure if it was because of the impact or just an issue with the bit getting through the glue between the small pieces.

Try backing out the bit every few 1/4s. You probably had finite mdf getting blocked up in the drill bit and hole. I don’t use my impacts to predictll so I cannot comment on the use of an impact but I can on a drill. Typically in mdf using a drill, I drill a little and pull out, drill a little and pull ou, dri....The same goes when using a drill press, forstners are great for channeling sawdust and chips out of the way. Mdf is supper compressed so it’s characteristics are different.

• Like 2

Making a new sign for my daughter, the first one kinda took a turn for the worse when I tried to router the letters. I wanted to do it freehand and do a calligraphic style of lettering, but the router bit had other ideas. Funny how the grain of the wood grabs the bit sometimes, regardless of how hard you hold the router. Dang thing kept skipping off the lines I drew, tried to fix it but it was a no-go. It's okay though, a little bit of practice and I'll be able to do a lot better.

This time I opted for an easier approach...clamp a piece of flat bar to the wood and run the router base against it. Waiting for the first step of NeverWet to dry, then the 2nd step goes on and done...

IMG_0107 a.jpg

IMG_0109 a.jpg

• Like 6

Put in some hurricane screws today in a new house build... with a cordless drill. Told to use the corded drill. Used it for 2 screws and said nope to it and pulled out my DCD996 and went to town. They said it couldn't be done, and on one battery? that is crazy talk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

Put in some hurricane screws today in a new house build... with a cordless drill. Told to use the corded drill. Used it for 2 screws and said nope to it and pulled out my DCD996 and went to town. They said it couldn't be done, and on one battery? that is crazy talk. 

And that’s why I have the DCD996. It’s a beast.

• 4 weeks later...

Cut down some 10x5 Fir into 12mm planks for the ceiling. Sealed the top face with 1/2 pound cut of Shellac and then stained with Varathane Premium Fast dry oil-based stain. Then added 2 top coats of exterior poly.

eb8ba35a5bf10690a1ed5a904b633692.jpg

This one had denser grain so went with 2 coats of shellac instead of 1.

51d002552b0c607295ff5b06d7515feb.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RT29 said:

Nice job man, I'll have to use that idea.

Thanks, it couldn't have been more easy. I used the miter saw to make the cuts for the shelves and did them two pieces at a time. I cut the shelves 3/16" short shorter than the top and bottom pieces so that I could put a back on it. It took about 30 minutes or so but you can whip it out faster if you start with finished square wood for the support pieces, I planed some scrap whitewood I was given(originally was used as sign posts for a kid's birthday party).

You can also scale it up just as easy, I have something similar for blow molded cases but it's ugly because I got the wood from a literal pile on the way to the dump.

• 1 month later...