Nailer Questions and Decisions?

Doof

Ok, bare with me. So I'm in the market for a nailer. I've read reviews extensively, and still, my decision is up in the air. My immediate use is trim work. The trim is all custom 3/4".

I'm thinking (but am not married to) the 16 ga. because its the most versatile between the 15, 16, & 18 ga. And it shoots 2 1/2" nails. But all depends on whether or not I go cordless or pneumatic. I am not worried about hole size, as I will be painting. I do not own a compressor. And if I get a cordless, I will get a compressor later in the year.

Currently, I am looking at 3 options:

1) The Ryobi 16 ga. cordless (which has rave reviews, but is a bit costly considering the all plastic build and having to buy into a new battery platform).

2) The Paslode 16 ga. cordless gas (which is currently on sale 50% off at $149).

3) Finally, the Porter-Cable 6 gal. 150 psi pancake (with either the included 2 gun 16/18 gauge nailer combo--which includes better model nailers than the three gun option, OR the pancake by itself and a good 15 or 16 ga. nailer of another brand).

Most of what I read says the ideal is to have two guns. The 15 ga. and 18 ga. If I go cordless, I can't afford that. If I get the compressor I can live with a 15 ga for a minute until I have a few bucks to buy an 18.

Thoughts, experience, and help.

IF you can find it still some Home Depots had the Senco F15 clearance out for 89 dollars. I think the Paslode your looking at for that price is the Nicad model I had it before my Lion version, and it was kind of  a hassle slow to charge and it has the nicad discharge problem so if you don't use it a ton when you want to use it the battery will probably be dead. I would get one of the battery only powered nailers like the Ryobi or new Ridgid and run with that. I'll be honest air compressors suck and with trim you don't need that much speed anyways its more about accuracy. I think you would be happy with the Ryobi airstrike my friend has one and loves it. He uses it to fix travel trailers and motorhomes, he hasn't had any problems with it yet. he has the 18ga brad and stapler.

Budget is ~ $250-300--with the option to grow (a little) with time.

I wouldn't say I'd be using it often (like every day, or every week even) but a fair amount for a non-professional situation. I'm the friend people call to help them with their own DIYs. As well, I have a couple of cabinet building projects coming up this year. Plus the odd small job here and there. When you have the tool, options open up, so I'm certain there will be other build projects. I'd say a couple of times a month plus or minus.

I would probably go with the Ryobi airstrike nailer in your situation.

Home Depot has combo kits and some deals going on right now. I kinda wish you mentioned this sooner HD had a deal of the day on the air strike nailers about a month or so ago.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Ryobi%2520airstike?NCNI-5

I have a pretty good excuse... I missed the deal cause I've been buying M18 Fuel Kits! 2797-22 and 2720-21. And the 2630.

I'm a relatively new home owner in the throes of a good sized renovation (plus built-ins) and the wife's ok'd some purchases to make my life easier. I finally cut the cord. The poor corded tools are feeling neglected. I'm trying to see if I can neglect my hammer a little too. Ha!

Thanks, I am looking for as many opinions/options as possible.

I looked at the bostitch, pretty much the same as the Porter Cable set, guns look exactly the same. My only real drawback is the manner in which one has to un-jamb them--and the reviews of the guns in the 3 gun kit are pretty mediocre. A 7 year warranty does recover that a bit though. I'll have to take another look.

I would probably go with the Ryobi airstrike nailer in your situation.

Home Depot has combo kits and some deals going on right now. I kinda wish you mentioned this sooner HD had a deal of the day on the air strike nailers about a month or so ago.

http://www.homedepot.com/s/Ryobi%2520airstike?NCNI-5

If im putting up wood sideing.on a shed or what ever witch ryobi air strike should i get the 18 or 16 im not sure as i dont do mich finish work so dont really have experience with those nailers

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

From what I understand, 16 gauge, all though called a "nail gun" because it has a larger head, is not really a "true nail" but is just an over sized brad. Compare the nails when you're at the store. The 16 ga is not round or pointed like a true nail. A 15 ga. finish nailer however shoots a true nail. [Again, this is just as I've learned it in recent days as I've begun researching.] While the 16 ga can work for larger fastening applications, no question about that, but if you just need fastening (furniture or fencing for example), and you don't plan on doing fine cabinet trim work or interior trim work, the 15 ga is the way to go. For exterior uses, the nail quality of the 15 ga stainless or galvanized is much higher because there is so much more material to withstand weathering and elements. Many guys suggest the stainless for whatever reason.

I'm no expert, just an obsessive researcher, so all of the above should be taken with a grain of salt.

Look into the bostich smartpoint guns. I've got the 18g brad and 16g straight finish. You could always buy something and return it if you don't like it. I'd forget about cordless nailers if I were you. If your doing custom trim and whatnot cordless trim guns are to goddamn large. Trust me you'lll be frustrated.

Get some smartpoint guns, flexeel hose(s), jc 10 compressor and make some money!

The problem with reviews is people with little experience write about the first few moments with the tool and it always seems like I hear "I haven't used it yet but it seems well made"..... Yea I bet lol