Filming your work

I watch a lot of videos of trades; Framing, woodworking, plumbing. Mostly woodworking vids tho. I noticed there a lot of woodworkers on the forum so I was wondering do you guys make videos? If so give is your link to YouTube or share your videos with please!

I shoot small videos with my iPhone 6 plus via this super stupid easy jig I made that allows the phone to sit in place. I haven't figured out how to edit but I just bought my Wife a Mac desktop. I'm going to try and shoot my next video and edit it there and then post via my YouTube link.

• Like 2

I shoot small videos with my iPhone 6 plus via this super stupid easy jig I made that allows the phone to sit in place. I haven't figured out how to edit but I just bought my Wife a Mac desktop. I'm going to try and shoot my next video and edit it there and then post via my YouTube link.

Oh cool so do you plan out your projects or just film while working?

I have attempted to make a few videos, but realize I am just not cut out for it. It takes a lot of effort to do the work and convey it through video properly. I give the guys that can do it a lot of credit.

Yea same here. I've vfilmed myself doing work but I show no interest in explaining how to do it lol. It seems like a lot of work.

Oh cool so do you plan out your projects or just film while working?

Kind of like right now, as I sit on a systainer looking at the wall I just built in my shop, I do things on a whim! Same with my videos. I haven't shot any project videos just to reviews or demonstrations.

• 6 years later...

I think it all depends on what exactly do you want to record. I recommend to search similar content on Youtube to avoid competition. In my opinion if you want to be popular, your videos muse be unique! Also don't forget about video editing, for beginners I recommend to navigate to https://www.fastreel.com/, it is quite simple and intuitive online video editor!

Welcome to the forum.

All of my topics use still photography to document the information, saving a kiloword w/ each image.

All of my images are edited to frame the important content. to optimize the exposure and contrast, for size at 800x600 pixel and to add my watermark to limit others usurping my content w/o permission.

My shared images are stored on Flikr to aid my efficiency. There are other sites w/ the same functionality.

There are less than a dozen videos I've used for documentation / instruction and those are hosted on You Tube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2015 at 1:46 PM, Swaglosrevival said:
On 7/26/2015 at 10:43 AM, Poisonfangs85 said:

I have attempted to make a few videos, but realize I am just not cut out for it. It takes a lot of effort to do the work and convey it through video properly. I give the guys that can do it a lot of credit.

Yea same here. I've vfilmed myself doing work but I show no interest in explaining how to do it lol. It seems like a lot of work.

It can be a fair bit of work...especially if the video part doesn't interest you. I just started a YouTube channel a month ago for my garage stuff and it's been kind of interesting just learning how to do it. I started it more to pick up some extra skills (presenting/talking, video editing, etc.) and because I'm always doing something in the garage anyway each week.

My channel is here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBwA36YGRBRyjJd-ZZM7qLw

If you're looking for good free video editing software, Davinci Resolve has a fully featured free version that is as good as any other editor out there (e.g. Adobe) but does have a bit of a learning curve. That's what I've been using to edit my videos and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do yet.