How would you use Milwaukee ONE-KEY™?

Nalu Rash

this is not making anything Milwaukee sells obsolete, I have much invested in the fuel line up and plan on using them until the the bitter end.....I don't need new tools of the ones I have.....only way is if the tool they offer can do what the tool I have already way better way faster and way cheaper.....then and only then will I consider buying  ..hey a 1/8th inch hole is still a 1/8th inch hole regardless what drill you used to make it.......

when the day comes you can pick up your smart phone click on the little Milwaukee icon on the screen and tell it to drill a hole in another room via GPS and a Milwaukee smart drill is the day I give up on tools altogether.........

150 years ago technology advancement was more important than it is today, we as humans are constantly creating ways to do less, and I don't think that is a good thing. pretty soon you will not even have to lift a finger to get stuff, to do stuff or to mean anything. kinda the way the kids movie Wall-E is sending a message..........

I though about waiting on and getting the one key versions of the drills and impact driver. In reality for me it wouldn't be practical as a home gamer to have. The only thing that could win me over if if the impact driver/ impact wrenches could be set to specific torque settings then that might be huge for doing work on cars. Building things I'm not building things there I need all that flexibility. Who knows though I might pick a set up eventually.

Smart tools ?..  this is a forum ? Where people discuss things. I know I dished out a little too much sarcasm  I just would rather Milwaukee invest more in the actual tools like making them better and making more tools .I find the fuel 18 volt pretty good with the zawzall being a real stand out.

I think we spend too much time on our phones at work Already. 

I think this is just another thing that could break .

I think it's an interesting idea. Let's wait for a year before we bash it. I used to say, "I don't need the Internet on my phone, Ill never use it, I have a laptop." Well here I am typing away on my phone with my laptop next to me. No one is saying any m12 or m18 tools are obsolete now. I have a non fuel m18 hammer drill and grinder with a m12 hammer drill. I will not be buying others until they die. They work for me. But it is interesting to see what I WILL be buying when they do die. And when I do need something hopefully all the bugs will be worked out and I can control my tools as I need them. One Key or not.

They really did upgrade the tools too! And no one is recognizing that. I'm curious to know if I can interchange the impact mech on mine. Not that I need to.

The torque specific potential is AWESOME for the impacts--the benefits are great. I wonder if there is potential to upgrade to real-time torque feedback.

While I'd truly love to have the spare cash to toss at such tool tech (I don't necessarily need), I just tossed a bunch of dough at M18 Fuel stuff (and the 2630 circ-saw) and I feel very little (zero) regret about just purchasing my e-hem "puny" 750 in/lbs drill and 1600 in/lbs 3-mode impact just before finding out the updated versions are coming out soon. I would brag about the kit yesterday, I'll brag about it tomorrow. Never scoff at a Z06 Corvette because there is a Z07 across the street. It's the driver that matters. The vehicle is just a tool.

You know, it is nice to know you're in the battery line in case you do need to upgrade. All this is very exciting.

Now if they would just put out some nailers! And that 9.0 battery! I just need 1! If they were smart, they'd put it out before Christmas.

I like the idea although ill probably never use it as I'm invested in dewalt and can honestly say I'll probably never use the Bluetooth battery either. Being able to disable the tool sounds great though, we will see thief's holding them to ransom now rather than selling them on

side note: last week I had a roofing company redo our roof, 4 guys 2 days 85 bundles...every time I went outside 2 of them were looking at their phones.......when the roof was done their boss came by to check everything, I said is that why my quote is so high you have to factor in 8 hours of phone time? WTF?

this is exactly the type of situation the technology could help with! right now bossman has to physically come out to see what the nuckleheads are or are not doing... with this tech the boss just opens up the app and sees that two tools havent been running in 20 minutes or that they've only completed 70% of the work that should be done within a certain time frame.

it sounds to me like the greatest benefit of this tech in not necessarily the end user holding the tool, but rather the site foreman who needs to oversee the work and make sure that everyone is working as efficiently as they should. if they aren't then it becomes crystal clear where the lag is coming from, instead of these guys just covering for each other. i can certainly see larger worksites or corporate clients with huge workforces implementing something like this to stay on top of their workers. i seem to be in the minority here, but this looks promising for the big guys.

Just imagine getting to the job and none of your tools work just to find out a competitor hacked into your one key disabling all your tools or resstting all the settings.

Well if your competitor is a super duper haxor I'd check your bank account and client records first but if your competitor was a computer geek of the highest order why would he be in construction again?

I don't know about One Key. The geek in me likes it and it does seem to have real potential compared to DeWalt's BT battery tech. From a DIYer perspective it would be a cool new gadget but with limited value. As it stands today it seems really geared to heavy commercial usage where precise repetitive actions are needed.

The premium price over the regular fuel is both good and bad. Bad in that it won't become ubiquitous and have interesting uses discovered by a larger pool of end users sharing experiences and settings. The good is you have a choice if you want to buy into it or not. Fuel tools are already expensive so I can see why they didn't make One Key standard. Overall I think it's a cool step forward and people are naive if they don't think all things are headed this way.

• Like 1

Now that the horse is dead with the potential for other people to hack tools I think we can stop beating it.

But no one has brought up the potential for the end user to hack the tools though.  The tools have all sorts of special controls built in, but through the one-key interface it could be possible to override these.  Most of these tools are run well below their limits, but in this case it means drawing about the same power from a compact battery as the new high demand ones.  This would void the warranty and damage the tools and batteries, but also with careful usage get people out of some tough situations without damaging the tools.  Imagine getting upwards of 1500 ft-lbs from an impact wrench.

Just wait and see, soon your drill will start shipping with bloatware.

Milwaukee engineer .Well now that you mention it .Time to update your 12" scms get capacity up to Makita and dewalt trim some weight improve the lights improve themicro adjust and make it just detente override and make the digital more accurate and put it on the bevel not the miter .Secondly it's Time to add some routers and complete the line how about something like the festol 1010 .Make a large blade track saw that works on festool track .I can name dozens of tools that would be better than the computer chip craps .Cheers

Don't mention miters! I'm needing one and if only hoping Milwaukee can make up its mind and announce something so I can make a decision about wether or not to go DeWalt for a saw, AC powered - the 20v one is super nice but I'm in need of cutting some bigger base and crown and it's too small.

I get the frustration about wasting resources but in reality the electronics division probably is exposing some of the functionality from tools and API's they use for development of their own settings so the functionality was already there to begin with they are just providing a mechanism and interface for yeh end user to play with it. DeWalt was shown to actually program firmware through the battery connectors on the bottom of the tool after assembly so even their BT battery system can potentially so more than meets the eye. A lot of this stuff is already in the tools they are just exposing the control to he user so it's not like over the long haul it's really draining resources from new tool. Also all the tools share the same battery tech so the singular One Key app will form an umbrella over potentially dozens of tools making them all more versatile.

What make me shake my head more than trying to push technology in an increasing tech driven world is something like the new m18 fan. The cheapo ryobi is way better and cheaper with the ability to even be run off of an extension cord! Why did Milwaukee make the worst fan, a relatively simple device, of all its sister companies ?

Milwaukees full size miter saw is a joke In so many ways. I bought a Dewalt 12" and think it's probally the best thing they produce along with their table saws. Every manufacturer has its trade offs...

To me 90% dewalts cordless system is laughable at best.. Milwaukee definitely has the upper hand in that category..

However I'd never use the one key. It's been over hyped for way to long but will probally be useful to large commercial firms.

I personally wouldn't buy the Milwaukee miter because it ain't cheap and hasn't been updated in ages but I don't see how exactly it's a joke either. It is HEAVY but seems well built. I had a sub who brought one out to my house and it seemed pretty nice actually. I'm just more interested to see what the new m18 one will bring...

Milwaukees full size miter saw is a joke In so many ways. I bought a Dewalt 12" and think it's probally the best thing they produce along with their table saws. Every manufacturer has its trade offs...

To me 90% dewalts cordless system is laughable at best.. Milwaukee definitely has the upper hand in that category..

However I'd never use the one key. It's been over hyped for way to long but will probally be useful to large commercial firms.

Could you please specify what you mean by laughable? All of my dewalt seem to be solid and do the job I ask of them. Maybe Milwaukee and Makita has the edge on them but Dewalt makes some great tools, far from laughable imo.

• Like 1

Could you please specify what you mean by laughable? All of my dewalt seem to be solid and do the job I ask of them. Maybe Milwaukee and Makita has the edge on them but Dewalt makes some great tools, far from laughable imo.

Its not always the tool... Its the nut who's behind the trigger (no offence proto). Ill put up my Dewalt compact set up against any other set. 65210251ec4b43f14d94b315cfb2a1b1.jpg oh yea, lets do this... Lol[emoji14]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I purchased the Milwaukee products I wanted when I did.Before this Smart phone zombie crap was built in.I do not even own a smart phone and bought my Milwaukee products with the savings of just having a basic phone.Rather then the smart phone monthly bill.If I was a smart phone zombie I would have power tools from HF or Menards.

You don't have to buy them with One Key built in. It's going to be an option for now at least on most of their fuel line. Good luck in the future though. You think in 10 years from now there isn't going to be extra electronics in every power tool from Ryobi to Hilti?

• Like 1