How would you use Milwaukee ONE-KEY™?

Nalu Rash

This is getting to be laughable. So much misinformation, fear-mongering and plain old FUD from some old school guys on this. It's optional, it's ok to "opt out". Seeing reactions to this that are reminiscent of guys buying older diesels to avoid urea, and at least that is an asset that costs 5 digits.

What other reasons can we come up with to pile on the hate? Maybe if we try hard enough we can fork some blame towards "the government", and that construction workers these days are weaker/ lazier/ less skilled etc. than the old school guys. If this is how these guys react to a slightly different drill then I would love to see (ie laugh at) their reaction to newer "technologically advanced" building materials. :P /end rant.

Glad I purchased the Milwaukee products I wanted when I did.Before this Smart phone zombie crap was built in.I do not even own a smart phone and bought my Milwaukee products with the savings of just having a basic phone.Rather then the smart phone monthly bill.If I was a smart phone zombie I would have power tools from HF or Menards.

Are you comparing the one key system to smart

phones? Then I'm 2 years EVERYONE will have one key tools. Just cause you hate smart phones doesn't mean others can't find use for them. And they still make regular phone for people like you as will Milwaukee.

Are you comparing the one key system to smart

phones? Then I'm 2 years EVERYONE will have one key tools. Just cause you hate smart phones doesn't mean others can't find use for them. And they still make regular phone for people like you as will Milwaukee.

I guess this old school guy just is not with it?Its not that I hate smart phones I just hate what has happened since they swept the nation.People use to think for there self rather then having some app think for them.They have destroyed are up and coming kids.Scary how smart phones have made them brain dead.Made are roads dangerous.Just about every day some Smart phone zombie crosses the center line and is heading toward me.Its not just drunk drivers and sleepy heads.Its texters and social media idiots and now maybe some guy checking on his Milwaukee drill.Any how just my thoughts and concerns.Did not mean to rattle any cages I know how important Smart phones are to todays society.When I go to the Milwaukee power tool display.I will still have a few selections.Just like 2 or 3 dumb phones next to 30 Smart phones at the phone center.For us old school guys to pick and choose from.

They have stated they are offering both One-Key and No-Key versions. There will be a small premium for it.

Haha so true, this retroactively makes all Fuel tools terrible. You should just give them away, no one would pay for this junk. Incidentally, let me know if you would like my mailing address. Nalu also has a growing hunger for Fuel, and Proto would probably lose his cookies if you sent them his way.

How about my way lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not just I hate smart tools and smart phones blah blah. I just would rather Milwaukee invest its money in actual tools and improving them. There are lots of holes in their wood tool line up. And plenty of room for improvement. Hey I love my m18 fuel sawzall but let's see some new miter saws, routers, how about a real good jigsaw that's as good as the top of the line Bosch and make it cordless etc... Come on programming torque settings on an impact with your phone what a bunch of bs.

• Like 1

I think people overstate the loss of R&D from the hardware to the software division. Unlike the hardware where each tool is developed independently for the most part the One Key software is probably being developed as a unit with plugins for each tool. Software is infinitely more scalable than hardware. Each piece of hardware is developed by itself, along with close analogs, while their software platform can be used on any tool they want with certain mods.

• Like 1

I guess this old school guy just is not with it?Its not that I hate smart phones I just hate what has happened since they swept the nation.People use to think for there self rather then having some app think for them.They have destroyed are up and coming kids.Scary how smart phones have made them brain dead.Made are roads dangerous.Just about every day some Smart phone zombie crosses the center line and is heading toward me.Its not just drunk drivers and sleepy heads.Its texters and social media idiots and now maybe some guy checking on his Milwaukee drill.Any how just my thoughts and concerns.Did not mean to rattle any cages I know how important Smart phones are to todays society.When I go to the Milwaukee power tool display.I will still have a few selections.Just like 2 or 3 dumb phones next to 30 Smart phones at the phone center.For us old school guys to pick and choose from.

I'm not trying to disagree with you really, but all these horrible apps and smartphones...they have their benefit as well. I bet a 6 year old kid today has better spelling, grammar, and punctuation than you do.

Maybe you should grab an app to help you figure out how to space at the end of your punctuation, or the difference between then and than, are and our...clearly no important life skills you have need good grammar, you've made it this far...but it would make reading your complaints about it much more appealing for the rest of us. =-)

I think people overstate the loss of R&D from the hardware to the software division. Unlike the hardware where each tool is developed independently for the most part the One Key software is probably being developed as a unit with plugins for each tool. Software is infinitely more scalable than hardware. Each piece of hardware is developed by itself, along with close analogs, while their software platform can be used on any tool they want with certain mods.

I absolutely agree with this. Programmers and engineers are different departments and a company only releases so many tools in a year. Firing programmers doesn't automatically result in hiring more engineers. Aside from that, people who don't think other colours of One-Key are just around the corner are only kidding themselves.

I'm not trying to disagree with you really, but all these horrible apps and smartphones...they have their benefit as well. I bet a 6 year old kid today has better spelling, grammar, and punctuation than you do.

Maybe you should grab an app to help you figure out how to space at the end of your punctuation, or the difference between then and than, are and our...clearly no important life skills you have need good grammar, you've made it this far...but it would make reading your complaints about it much more appealing for the rest of us. =-)

OK I get a big fat F from the teacher LOL.Thanks for pointing that out to me.You should be so proud.But I made it 55 years this way.Made twice as much money as my college friends and enemies and they had to answer to a boss while I was my own boss.I am semi retired and there still working full time.But man they sure can spell good and have great grammar.I did not even finish high school did get my GED just to say I have it.

Not wanting to sound like I am bragging.Just a fact went to school with many of these people and they remind me of you.Gave me a hard time in school.Because I did struggle.Today they would call it ADHD or something like that.Back then it was called Dumb or stupid.I do not judge people by how they spell or there writing.I judge them by there common since.Because that is what counts in the real world.I made my money with out an instruction book.Would have had a hard time comprehending it.But they had to read it to make it through life.But man they sure could read well. 

• Like 1

OK I get a big fat F from the teacher LOL.Thanks for pointing that out to me.You should be so proud.But I made it 55 years this way.Made twice as much money as my college friends and enemies and they had to answer to a boss while I was my own boss.I am semi retired and there still working full time.But man they sure can spell good and have great grammar.I did not even finish high school did get my GED just to say I have it.

Not wanting to sound like I am bragging.Just a fact went to school with many of these people and they remind me of you.Gave me a hard time in school.Because I did struggle.Today they would call it ADHD or something like that.Back then it was called Dumb or stupid.I do not judge people by how they spell or there writing.I judge them by there common since.Because that is what counts in the real world.I made my money with out an instruction book.Would have had a hard time comprehending it.But they had to read it to make it through life.But man they sure could read well.

Hey man nothing wrong with spelling and grammer mistakes haha man im the same way im 25 i barley graduated high school my spelling and "grammer" sucks aswell but put a tool in my hand and give me some wood and im a genius hahah and to be honest we arnt writeing and essay haha we type like how we talk not a big deal in my eyes fuck my whole thing is just one sentence

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hey man nothing wrong with spelling and grammer mistakes haha man im the same way im 25 i barley graduated high school my spelling and "grammer" sucks aswell but put a tool in my hand and give me some wood and im a genius hahah and to be honest we arnt writeing and essay haha we type like how we talk not a big deal in my eyes fuck my whole thing is just one sentence

Great point Tman!

Now, I don't have much use for the One Key besides having the capability to turn my drill down when my 4 year old son is using it. That to me is worth it, because he can then use it safely.

The smart phone and apps is a tool that can be used wisely. Yes its making our future generation dependant but having information relatively available, makes it pretty cool. I personally can't seem to buy a tool without having some research, and sometimes extensive research. Although i do miss the days when I remembered everyone phone number by heart.

Keep it cool crew, don't down on anyone because it's not cool. We are better than that, we the TIA crew! TIA#1

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Very good point times arr changeing sometimes i feel i wish i was born earlyer so i could of enjoyed the so called simpler days but what can you do technology is here and its growing for me i wont be buying into the one key or when ever makita decides to follow i wont be buying into there version No point for me plus i have a hard enough time figuring out any phone type shit thats what my wife is for lol she helps me when it comes to anything technical lol but i see its purpose and i see why its a big deal for todays younger or even more hip older tradesmen but for us old school guys or old school minded young guys i can see the skepticalness of this

And ya i think is pretty rude to call someone out on how they spell or there fucking grammer truthfully if some one called me out "in person " not over the internet over my spelling or grammer infront of people to make me look bad id probably have to punch them out to make them look bad lol like i dont even no my times tables math for me is worse then spelling man school just doesnt work for some people and that doesnt mean they cant be successful like i said put a tool in my hand and give me some wood and il make you look like the "dumb ass" put a pen in my hand and you might think my 4 year old son wrote something lmao hahah

• Like 3

And ya i think is pretty rude to call someone out on how they spell or there fucking grammer truthfully if some one called me out "in person " not over the internet over my spelling or grammer infront of people to make me look bad id probably have to punch them out to make them look bad lol like i dont even no my times tables math for me is worse then spelling man school just doesnt work for some people and that doesnt mean they cant be successful like i said put a tool in my hand and give me some wood and il make you look like the "dumb ass" put a pen in my hand and you might think my 4 year old son wrote something lmao hahah

. That's tight dammit!! Preach on T Man!!!
  • Like 2

Very good point times arr changeing sometimes i feel i wish i was born earlyer so i could of enjoyed the so called simpler days

I totally agree TO, I often share this sentiment, but I remind myself we are only thinking back on the positives of different time periods. Different time, different problems. If we were born in the 40s maybe a couple guys like us would die from lack of safety, or asbestos or something haha.
  • Like 1

Everyone has brought up some good points in this thread. It seem's like some people are curious about the technology and some completely hate the idea. I don't see myself buying any ONE-KEY drills as of yet. Currently, it's a technology that would be superfluous to my needs. But this is just the beginning, I'm sure the engineers over at Milwaukee are hard at work trying to implement ONE-KEY in other tools. The best part about it is that they are not forcing anyone to buy into this tech. It's just another tool line that Milwaukee is adding: Brushed, FUEL and now ONE-KEY. More options for us, the consumer.

I was really hoping to get more clever ideas about how ONE-KEY could be used. Let's not turn this into a flame war.

I think it's great that tool companies are trying new things. I try new things all the time, and discover through trial and error.

I totally agree TO, I often share this sentiment, but I remind myself we are only thinking back on the positives of different time periods. Different time, different problems. If we were born in the 40s maybe a couple guys like us would die from lack of safety, or asbestos or something haha.

Ya it really is different times man i often wonder what its gonna be like when im older and my sons in his 20s maybe working in the trades how different its gonna be like tools, saftey, codes all that its weird to think

At home I would probably look at one key but never utilize it.

It probably wouldn't work that much for the company I am employed with. We are constantly changing jobs. We need different settings all the time. Most of the time we don't know the exact job calls for until we are doing it. We are on call 24/7 365 an its not realisitic to call the boss to tell him adjust the tourque on the impact.

For other companies it makes sense but not for all.

Things change. We have refrigerators with computers in them. There's no going back as computer power gets cheaper and cheaper as well as more power efficient. When these chips get into everything and commoditized manufacturers end up saving money because they can replace much of mechanical complexity with chips that cost pennies and software that only cost devevelopment dollars. Think mechanical watches with their labor intensive innards and complexity vs a quartz watch. Tech will advance and get into everything. Hey anything can happen, looks at Makita they even put charge indicators on their batteries these days!

Things change. We have refrigerators with computers in them. There's no going back as computer power gets cheaper and cheaper as well as more power efficient. When these chips get into everything and commoditized manufacturers end up saving money because they can replace much of mechanical complexity with chips that cost pennies and software that only cost devevelopment dollars. Think mechanical watches with their labor intensive innards and complexity vs a quartz watch. Tech will advance and get into everything. Hey anything can happen, looks at Makita they even put charge indicators on their batteries these days!

Its all true man i remenber i didnt get my first smart phonr until i was lile 20 and that wad still a few years aftrr they have been out im always behind but i dont care to much i dont jump really on the technical fads im usually late but back to my point my son whos 4 can yous and iphone or Samsung he even has my wifes old iphone but ya so whats next lol im still scared for robots taken my job haha

To be clear I wasn't calling you dumb or stupid, what I was thinking and what I typed are not the same...I came off way too harsh, maybe too many beers. Not sure how you could take it that way as an adult though since there's no such thing as dumb or stupid. You have people who are educated or they aren't, be it street smarts, common sense, books, whatever. My point is that when I was in school my spelling and grammar sucked, I grew up in broken education system and English was my worst subject. I was out of high school before I started figuring it out, and I still make mistakes but I'm improving constantly. I'm wiling to bet you have a far more vast skill set and knowledge than I do in all areas of life, and you won't find me claiming I'm better than anyone, believe me.

Technology helped me more than reading any book or hand written report. When I'd make mistakes it would show me not only that it was wrong, but why. 

Funny enough, though I'm a lot younger than you are, our stories are very similar (aside from the bullying part). I'm self employed, make good money...but I see the value in what technology can bring with it too, so I bring a little more of it into my life every day. For every skill lost, a new one takes it's place, and this generation isn't any different. I don't calculate by hand, I use a calculator because it's efficient and makes me more productive. You had trouble with grammar, but you excelled in other places. Kids today might appear lazy, but have skills in networking or aggregating information...doesn't make either one dumb. Different times for different uses and different abilities. Back to my original post, instead of resisting technology...maybe you should embrace it and let it help you in every way possible. I did and I kept me with the times, and had side effects of improving my language and grammar. Or you can tell me to screw myself and continue to do what you do, it doesn't matter for any reason other than to make my point. Without smartphones, apps, and the internet I'd be on a 5th grade reading level with a shit vocabulary to go with it. 

On the subject of this thread, I think the useful portions of this technology are the abilities to disable the battery if lost and to see the charging levels for guys like me that half a battery farm and would like to know when it's time to plug in. Being able to scale the power of a tool seems a little too intrusive to me, I'd rather feather a trigger and have 100% of power available at all times for switching tasks or just twist a clutch, which I almost never do anyway. But having those extra features certainly wouldn't keep me from buying, but it won't make me a buyer either (dewalt fan). =-) 

To be clear I wasn't calling you dumb or stupid, what I was thinking and what I typed are not the same...I came off way too harsh, maybe too many beers. Not sure how you could take it that way as an adult though since there's no such thing as dumb or stupid. You have people who are educated or they aren't, be it street smarts, common sense, books, whatever. My point is that when I was in school my spelling and grammar sucked, I grew up in broken education system and English was my worst subject. I was out of high school before I started figuring it out, and I still make mistakes but I'm improving constantly. I'm wiling to bet you have a far more vast skill set and knowledge than I do in all areas of life, and you won't find me claiming I'm better than anyone, believe me.

Technology helped me more than reading any book or hand written report. When I'd make mistakes it would show me not only that it was wrong, but why. 

Funny enough, though I'm a lot younger than you are, our stories are very similar (aside from the bullying part). I'm self employed, make good money...but I see the value in what technology can bring with it too, so I bring a little more of it into my life every day. For every skill lost, a new one takes it's place, and this generation isn't any different. I don't calculate by hand, I use a calculator because it's efficient and makes me more productive. You had trouble with grammar, but you excelled in other places. Kids today might appear lazy, but have skills in networking or aggregating information...doesn't make either one dumb. Different times for different uses and different abilities. Back to my original post, instead of resisting technology...maybe you should embrace it and let it help you in every way possible. I did and I kept me with the times, and had side effects of improving my language and grammar. Or you can tell me to screw myself and continue to do what you do, it doesn't matter for any reason other than to make my point. Without smartphones, apps, and the internet I'd be on a 5th grade reading level with a shit vocabulary to go with it. 

On the subject of this thread, I think the useful portions of this technology are the abilities to disable the battery if lost and to see the charging levels for guys like me that half a battery farm and would like to know when it's time to plug in. Being able to scale the power of a tool seems a little too intrusive to me, I'd rather feather a trigger and have 100% of power available at all times for switching tasks or just twist a clutch, which I almost never do anyway. But having those extra features certainly wouldn't keep me from buying, but it won't make me a buyer either (dewalt fan). =-) 

Not a problem.Was not meaning you were saying I was dumb or stupid.Now days there is no such thing.But back in my grammar school days there was.When I graduated 8th grade.They handed out awards and gag awards.The eight grade teacher was also the principal.Very small rural school 14 kids in the graduating class that year.I was one of the gag award winners that year.Along with a few others.We recieved the Ketchup award.A bottle of Ketchup Catsup.Ha Ha the audience got a shuckel out of that at our humiliation.Meaning you barley graduated you need to catch up over the summer to get ready for High school.

Not a problem.Was not meaning you were saying I was dumb or stupid.Now days there is no such thing.But back in my grammar school days there was.When I graduated 8th grade.They handed out awards and gag awards.The eight grade teacher was also the principal.Very small rural school 14 kids in the graduating class that year.I was one of the gag award winners that year.Along with a few others.We recieved the Ketchup award.A bottle of Ketchup Catsup.Ha Ha the audience got a shuckel out of that at our humiliation.Meaning you barley graduated you need to catch up over the summer to get ready for High school.

You would never see that happen today.If it did it would be all over the 10 oclock news.Just one of the things that gave me the push to be successfull and show them.Except Ole lady Tweet died a few years later.

As I said very small school and school buses were used only to transport kids to and from school.They were not used for extra caricalure activities.Tweet was also the girls softball coach.She and a few other parents or teachers used there cars.They had been to a girls softball game in a away school and were returning back to the home school.Tweet was hauling 5 fifth grade girls in her car.They were crossing a ungaurded rail road crossing a few miles from the rural country school.She did not see the AmTrack train and all 5 little girls and Tweet were slaughtered that bright sunny crisp fall evening.This has nothing to to do with Milwaukee One Key and steers us even further off course.But we were way off course to begin with and thought I would share this story.

I knew those girls or went to school with there older siblings.One was a neighbor and her family and my family were very close.We all went on vacation together a few months before.If Ole lady Tweet would have been the only one in that car!!!!!!Your probably thinking I would not have cared.But I sobbed over her death as well.I still think of her often even after all these years its been 40 years.Hard to believe but she pushed me to make something of my self with her terrible attitude.I remember saying to her family at her wake.She taught me more then any other teacher I had.I was 15 years old at that time.

So what your saying is that the Milwaukee One Key is the car and Makita is the train or Bosch is the train? Jk crazy story though...I'll have to Google it[emoji6]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk