How to use Periscope

Nalu Rash

iZPuSfT.png?2

By now, you must have caught wind of Periscope

If you’ve been watching any TIA episodes lately, you would have noticed Dan & Eric making shoutouts to what looks like an “Off-Screen” live audience. These are actually crew members, like yourself, that are watching a live broadcast hosted by Dan (Mostly, if not, exclusively) over smartphones/tablets/computers all over the world. This collective group is often called the “Periscopers”.

But what is it?

Periscope is an app for iOS and Android devices. It is a live video streaming platform that allows users to stream video content from your smartphone. People can tune in to your video stream whenever you go live. Likewise, whenever someone that you follow goes live, an alert pops up on your smartphone device, letting you know the person is streaming a live video.

Why should I even care?

Because it’s cool, lol. It’s the closest thing to teleportation that we have today. If you’ve ever wanted to see the rest of Dan or Eric’s garage, Periscope allows this to happen. Not only this, but you get a behind the scenes look into TIA in general. You get to see how real Dan and Eric actually are. I must say that what you see is what you get with these guys. They don’t put on a fake persona and most videos that upload to YouTube have been done in one cut.

Periscope is also another way to be involved with the crew. Watching the live streams is great, but just as fun is chatting with the other crew members that are watching. By chatting live with the crew, you develop a sense that these are real people behind the avatars and usernames. ProToolNut, you will learn, say’s some pretty crazy shit, hahaha. Logan is always there to greet you and often kills it with the hearts, which brings me to my next point.

It supports TIA. By using Periscope, it exposes TIA to a new audience and new people. While you watch a live stream, you may notice some hearts popping up on the side of the screen. The more hearts that a Periscope streamer gets, the higher up the ranks the stream becomes, exposing TIA to a wider audience. This is great as we get to meet new people that share the same passion for tools as we do, and hopefully we will get more girls on board as it’s pretty much a sausage fest in here, lol.

Okay, I’m in. What’s next?

First, download the Periscope app on your smartphone.

Open up the app and hit SKIP

3npJh6i.png?2

You can sign-in using TWITTER or your PHONE#

JRWXTVE.png?1

This screen will appear if using a phone number. Enter your PHONE# and you will be sent a CONFIRMATION CODE via text message. I did’nt do this so I don’t know what happens next.

Wt0le8C.png?1

This screen will appear if using Twitter. Just hit ALLOW

sMFcbYA.png?1

Your now signed in. Let’s search for Tools In Action. In the upper portion, hit the THREE HEAD symbol. Next, tap on the MAGNIFYING GLASS icon on the bottom right

IDjsMCg.png?3

This will bring up the SEARCH BAR

l5jx1tw.png?1

Type “TOOLSINACTION” in the search bar and tap on TIA

PcEkuAV.png?1

Hit FOLLOW

pPjx1kf.png?2

dVpnU3i.png?1

Congrats, your now following Tools In Action on Periscope. Now, whenever TIA goes live, you will get a notification on your phone and you can tune in.

Make sure that the bell icon has a white background like this

94N94fL.png?1

If it looks like this, you will not be getting notifications

njdaLKK.png?2

Hope this helps anyone out.

Please leave a comment/question/suggestion.

Thanks crew!

nalu - what's the reason you suggest using twitter versus phone #? i personally hate twitter for all the garbage that is constantly "tweeted" around, and actually had an account for awhile but there's just so much spam. does it benefit TIA to have actual twitter users sign up? if so, i'll gladly reopen an account, but i'd rather not...

If anyone doesn't have periscope I would highly recommend it. You get to see Dan "let his hair down" a little more than on their reviews. He is pretty Damn funny. He is honestly one of the most active people I follow and he does a really good job trying to reply to most of the comments. John and Brian at Workshop Addict also have a periscope account that they are getting active on. It's a great time to be a tool nut!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

nalu - what's the reason you suggest using twitter versus phone #? i personally hate twitter for all the garbage that is constantly "tweeted" around, and actually had an account for awhile but there's just so much spam. does it benefit TIA to have actual twitter users sign up? if so, i'll gladly reopen an account, but i'd rather not...

Ankur, thanks for asking this. First I must say that I agree with you about all the Twitter spam. I hate it. It's the same reason why I hate Facebook. I have both a Twitter and a Facebook account but I only dabble in them.

I only mention to sign up with twitter because it's easier if you all ready have a twitter account. It will pull all the information from twitter so you can find people quicker. I will edit my post later and correct my statement. I don't want to encourage people to make a Twitter account if they don't want to.

Twitter and Facebook can be very intrusive. All the "Do you know this person" and "You should follow that person" ticks me off.

So please, by all means, sign up whichever way you wish. I don't believe that signing up with a Twitter Account will have any benefit for TIA.

Just mash those hearts whenever TIA goes live. Thanks again Ankur

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Ankur, thanks for asking this. First I must say that I agree with you about all the Twitter spam. I hate it. It's the same reason why I hate Facebook. I have both a Twitter and a Facebook account but I only dabble in them.

I only mention to sign up with twitter because it's easier if you all ready have a twitter account. It will pull all the information from twitter so you can find people quicker. I will edit my post later and correct my statement. I don't want to encourage people to make a Twitter account if they don't want to.

Twitter and Facebook can be very intrusive. All the "Do you know this person" and "You should follow that person" ticks me off.

So please, by all means, sign up whichever way you wish. I don't believe that signing up with a Twitter Account will have any benefit for TIA.

Just mash those hearts whenever TIA goes live. Thanks again Ankur

awesome, thanks for the clarification. i'll stick with phone# since i don't need to find anyone except TIA for now.

thought i'd mention it hasn't been 48 hours since you first posted and TIA has already added 20 followers based on the 408 listed in your screenshots. pretty good, but i think we can all do better! join and support TIA!! based on everyone's comments i'm excited to actually see my first stream!

Good write up..my question is how do Ty see the hearts you leave??

Good question. I hope this helps.

While watching the stream, it will look like this. Tapping on your screen will make Hearts appear. The more Hearts that appear, the more popular TIA will become. This supports the show so please Tap Away like a mad man lol. I believe Hearts also count when you watch a Replay, if I'm wrong, please correct on this.

ed0e92fe26f80fd692a6527c2ecade04.jpg

Swipe up on your Phone and your screen will look like this. Find your name and the amount of hearts you have will be displayed below.

f6063395cff1aa5b92bebd92c884414a.jpg