Bed in progress...

Moxy

Building a storage bed for my wife... So far only the headboard is anything but lumber.

I still have a lot to do to the headboard but hey - you guys will keep me honest so I don't get lazy right?

Footboard starting to look like furniture.  Sorry about the egg and dart crown in the picture  - That's actually going on the tops of these once I finish putting them together and patching all my holes.

• Like 2

Looks really nice, are you going to stain it?

OK here's my plan... she loves the old worn out look.  So I'm going to stain it with the steel wool / vinegar and black tea mix.  That should get the wood nice and aged looking, then I'm going to give it a few coats of different milk paints using the bees wax and Vaseline methods for the chippy paint look.  Once that's finished i'll sand it down in a few places to show the oxidized stain job.  I picked up some egg and dart crown to go under the top piece of wood and started the making foot-board last night.  Once I get them both together I'll post another picture.  Should be this weekend fingers crossed!

OK here's my plan... she loves the old worn out look.  So I'm going to stain it with the steel wool / vinegar and black tea mix.  That should get the wood nice and aged looking, then I'm going to give it a few coats of different milk paints using the bees wax and Vaseline methods for the chippy paint look.  Once that's finished i'll sand it down in a few places to show the oxidized stain job.  I picked up some egg and dart crown to go under the top piece of wood and started the making foot-board last night.  Once I get them both together I'll post another picture.  Should be this weekend fingers crossed!

Sounds like you got it all planned out, can't wait to see the finished product 

Building a storage bed for my wife... So far only the headboard is anything but lumber.

I still have a lot to do to the headboard but hey - you guys will keep me honest so I don't get lazy right?

that looks fantastic! sounds like it's gonna look even better once you've finished. i'd like to see pics of each step of the staining process if you took them. i have this mental block that keeps me from doing any project that involves stain... probably made a mountain out of a molehill, but if you've got the time and interest this could be an awesome chance at a tutorial for the forum/DIY newbies.

• 2 weeks later...

Still a lot to do but I finally got to a place where I can see a layout of what it will look like finished.  I have another level of the drawer boxes on the sides to build, a drawer in the front that will slide out from under the food board.  I have molding and a topper to add to the head board and food board. and then a support frame and slats for the middle of the bed. Then I have to trim the boxes, make the drawers, stain, paint, and move it into the house.  Whew!  I'm a long way off I think.

Well I slipped... I made it over a month without telling her what it was I was making. Last night I was exhausted, and a little frustrated trying to explain something and I said, "...at least I can work on the bed tomorrow.". So she said... "What bed?"... I knew my goose was cooked... Just so happens I cooked it a couple weeks too early. Lol - anyway. Thanks for the support guys, hopefully now she lets me keep with my original plans until it is finished, but I suspect some of it will change.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Finally got back to working on this after some back problems... and wouldn't you know it, I caught someone sleeping on the job!  I also finished all the drawer frames and attached the 2x4 cleat (not in the picture) for the cross supports.  I have a few more things to finish and I'm ready for stain and paint!

• Like 1