Milwaukee multi meter thoughts

DiverDn

My local Home Depot has a couple Milwaukee multi meters 2216-20 on clearance for $97.06.

I don't really know how to use it and if I did it would be for around the house checking circuits etc.

I have always wanted to learn how to use one and thought this might be a good deal and something fairly easy to learn with.

What are your thoughts on the price for this tool?

Thanks,

John

Fluke meters can be expensive and very accurate I bought a southwire multimeter about a year ago and it's still hanging in there. If you dont really know how to use a multimeter I suggest getting an autoranging one as manual ranging can be very tedious. Watch this video to find out about the right multimeter for you. EEVblog #75 - Digital Multimeter Buying Guide for…: https://youtu.be/gh1n_ELmpFI

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would consider Fluke.....something like the 114 is a great MM at a moddest price $130. I think fluke is one of the front runners in this industry in regards to test equipment and has been for the past 45 years or so, there are others too. As much as I support and like Milwaukee I think each of these manufactures lead in particular catagories, Fluke for test eq. and Milwaukee for drills, impacts, saws, etc.....not saying the Milwaukee won't serve you well as it will, my remarks are base on my own experience and preferences only....YMMV applies here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At the original discount price of $97.06 I was considering buying one.

Went in today and they were marked down to $33.03 and could not pass it up.

You've gotta love it when the make the decision a no brainer! Hope you like it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have never owned a Milwaukee meter before, I use a Mastek multimeter in my shop and I am pretty pleased with it, especially since I got it for less then 100 dollars. Fluke meters are the flagship of meters, but be prepared to spend 500 dollars a meter, its only for rich folks like Pat's body shop.

812d6D58BWL._SL1500_.jpg

They have more affordable models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I dropped by my local depot to check out the multimeters.  They had a 2216 marked down from $149 to $97, so I passed.  After checking out the terminal for clearance prices/stock (big thanks btw to whomever it was that suggested I look at the job application terminal), I found that another store across town had the clamp meters for $30.

I drove over today and I managed to snag one of the clamp meters for $30.03.  All of the 2216-20's were marked at $74.98 both in-store and online and nothing I could do would convince the sales people to give it to me for $30.  Oh well, I got one of the two.  Apparently, the sales guy told me that they were probably dropping Milwaukee as a supplier of electrical tools, so take that for what it's worth.  He also said that once they go to $.01, they can't sell them anymore... yeah, sure, OK.

FYI: anyone looking to score one of the clamp meters, you may have to ask them to look in the stock in the shelves above the electrical section.  They found a box of 10 or so of them up there.  None of them were clearance stickered and the in-store inventory only said that they had 2 in stock.

Yesterday, I dropped by my local depot to check out the multimeters.  They had a 2216 marked down from $149 to $97, so I passed.  After checking out the terminal for clearance prices/stock (big thanks btw to whomever it was that suggested I look at the job application terminal), I found that another store across town had the clamp meters for $30.

I drove over today and I managed to snag one of the clamp meters for $30.03.  All of the 2216-20's were marked at $74.98 both in-store and online and nothing I could do would convince the sales people to give it to me for $30.  Oh well, I got one of the two.  Apparently, the sales guy told me that they were probably dropping Milwaukee as a supplier of electrical tools, so take that for what it's worth.  He also said that once they go to $.01, they can't sell them anymore... yeah, sure, OK.

FYI: anyone looking to score one of the clamp meters, you may have to ask them to look in the stock in the shelves above the electrical section.  They found a box of 10 or so of them up there.  None of them were clearance stickered and the in-store inventory only said that they had 2 in stock.

Sweet, good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I work with electronics both career and hobby and when precision and safety is paramount, then Fluke (for me) is the only way to go. Expensive yes but they are solid quality and last years. Few other great brands that I totally forget the name of right now. I got into Fluke at university when finding it they are pretty much the defacto brand for engineering.

Now saying all that. If only needing a decent one for home use then Fluke is probably overkill. Review and look into the safety side of any multimeter you might buy. What is their true CAT certification? are they tested for safety by a third party?

• 2 weeks later...

After about a week of testing my Milwaukee meter, I decided that I made a bad choice in a backup meter...I should have bought a cheap used Fluke. I find it to be really inaccurate in reading resistance. Everything besides resistance seems to work well but everything is just not up to Fluke standards.

After about a week of testing my Milwaukee meter, I decided that I made a bad choice in a backup meter...I should have bought a cheap used Fluke. I find it to be really inaccurate in reading resistance. Everything besides resistance seems to work well but everything is just not up to Fluke standards.

I always trusted fluke Milwaukee is my power tool favorite

I always trusted fluke Milwaukee is my power tool favorite

Same here, love Milwaukee and was overjoyed to grab a Milwaukee meter. Pretty disappointed that the resistance is soo spotty, otherwise it's a good meter. I was checking speakers and two in spec, two tested bad and one was fluctuating...grabbed the Fluke and all speakers were right in spec. I was also having issues checking fuses(but that was easy to remedy by switching to Continuity).

Would not buy any precision/analyst meter from a power-tools supplier, be it red, blue or yellow team. Not only is it almost the exact opposite in the electronic area. 

Power-tools = is pretty inaccurate and noisy, but high in power. Even BL. Pretty crude stuff.

Analytic tools = would have to be precise, neatly filtered and doesn't pull power at all.

So not only do they probably lack sewere experience, they would probably need to pay some chinese no-brand name to make it for them. You could get OK/bad quality, but also shitty quality. High og decent quality is just to forget. 

If I want ok/bad quality chinese (not crappy/shitty) I'd buy them under UNI-T brand, or just a totally cheap No-brand name shit (for really crude measurements) and not pay extra to get some power-tool makers put their sticker on it.

Off course, if you want anything decent, look towards Fluke, FLIR, Tektronix etc...