My first soldering job (tub/shower plumbing)

bradboulanger

Hey guys, figured I would post some pics of the plumbing I did for my bathroom reno. I did learn soldering in school but this is my first real world work. Twelve fittings, the only leak I had was on an existing T which for whatever reason heating it to make a connection at the top caused the bottom connection to leak. There are several boogers due to the tight space I was working in but I am happy for my first time.

77a07a9a556c446f3ab9f0e50bcb714c.jpg

f407ad150598cd50e774efb0b69e1102.jpg

6e8f5ae34cc6a9714e08415cca8e0795.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Nice job with practice you will be a pro. Just a tip you should heat up your fitting a little than use a rag to wipe excess flux off solder than wipe again to smooth out your solder. Did you un sweat the pipe from the tee?

Thanks for the tip I will definitely try that on the next one. I did unswet the pipe on the top of the T but it is the connection at the bottom of the T that is leaking. Any tips for fixing a leaking joint without disassembling it. I get the feeling it's going to be tricky to get an old solder joint to accept more solder

Yeah man, learning as I go lol there are a lot of firsts. Unfortunately if I'm working for myself I tend to work slow but It's getting there.

I'm not as fast as a contractor but I like to do all of my own reno work mainly because I just get a lot of satisfaction from doing it myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm not as fast as a contractor but I like to do all of my own reno work mainly because I just get a lot of satisfaction from doing it myself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I do enjoy learning new things and being new in the hvac field any work like this certainly helps me learn. But truthfully I'm just to much of a cheapo to pay someone to do the work for me haha

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip I will definitely try that on the next one. I did unswet the pipe on the top of the T but it is the connection at the bottom of the T that is leaking. Any tips for fixing a leaking joint without disassembling it. I get the feeling it's going to be tricky to get an old solder joint to accept more solder

Its never really a good idea to reuse a fitting its best to un sweat the whole fitting and use a new one but sometimes you have no choice. I would have cut the tee with a sawzall in the middle and un sweat all three pieces then use a rag to wipe the old solder off the pipe. In your case you need to get all that paint off the tee and clean it to make it look like a new penny. Then you need to get all the water out the pipe you could use a shop vacuum. Then you need to heat it up add flux and try to add solder remember solder only sticks where there is flux. The only problem I see if the old solder is lead solder and your going back with lead free solder it might leak in a few years or it may never leak. What type of torch are you using??  

I do enjoy learning new things and being new in the hvac field any work like this certainly helps me learn. But truthfully I'm just to much of a cheapo to pay someone to do the work for me haha

You cheapo..lol What type of Hvac work do you do installs or service tech, I do some installs and service but service is where its at

You cheapo..lol What type of Hvac work do you do installs or service tech, I do some installs and service but service is where its at

I'm using map gas. House was built in the 60's not sure what the solder standard was then? I work for a college so it's mainly service. I haven't had a job in the "real world" yet lol so sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

I'm using map gas. House was built in the 60's not sure what the solder standard was then? I work for a college so it's mainly service. I haven't had a job in the "real world" yet lol so sometimes I feel like I'm missing out.

Cool, most likely its lead solder you got to heat it up quick and try to resolder it but you have to work fast or else you will disturb the other joints. Let me know if you fix it 

• 2 weeks later...