Where's my torque gone

abjay

Hi

I have a makita 18v circular saw it used to work well but now it is so weak you can stop the blade between your thumb and finger, it starts up and runs fine until you put some load on it.I have stripped it down, the brushes are ok and make good contact, there is little or no sparking, the commutator looks good, I've checked the resistance between various points and everything reads ok. The tool has only done light work. Anyone got any ideas

Hi

I have a makita 18v circular saw it used to work well but now it is so weak you can stop the blade between your thumb and finger, it starts up and runs fine until you put some load on it.I have stripped it down, the brushes are ok and make good contact, there is little or no sparking, the commutator looks good, I've checked the resistance between various points and everything reads ok. The tool has only done light work. Anyone got any ideas

I had the same issue on my battery circ saw and like Chris said it was the battery for me.  When I changed to a different battery it was back in action.

Well a circ is going to generate a ton of torque whereas an impact or drill not so much. Good question too, what ampere hour is you battery? I'd it the compact 1.5? If you can try switching to a higher Ah like a 3.0 or higher. I've been running 3.0 and 4.0 and now thanks to a trade and purchase with Madman, 5.0 batteries in my 20v Dewalt. I wouldn't try the smaller Ah batteries, can burn up the batteries.

The 1.3/1.5/2.0 batteries would not be able to provider the Amps in a torque heavy task. Use a fat pack in the circulatie saw.

Do you have more then 1 battery? Else find some one you know who had more batteries so you can try the tool with more batteries.

If the tool keeps acting up with all batteries then the probleem is in the tool. Most likely youve over heated/ overloaded the motor. If it had short circuited somewhere in the windings that could resultt in low power