Best Dust Management Option for me

taylorv1

Hi, I have a small wood working shop. I currently have a older craftsman 2.5HP Shop Vac, but am looking into a shop vac with better suction and precisely for my needs with out spending a lot of money. I would like a shop vac that is on the quieter side, that is still powerful enough at least 5HP to connect to various tools, with a 2.5 inch dia. hose. I would also like it somewhat compact to be able to take into peoples houses if need be. I also would like a blower function. Please help me with a decision. I don't know what I should do. Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm confused now. That unit is 6 (peak) HP according to Rigid. But at 11A x 120V it is roughly 1300 Watts. Taking into account efficiency losses in the motor etc, 1 HP is roughly 8.9A.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?6316-Formula-for-converting-HP-to-AMPs-or-Visa-Versa&s=1e195af58528351913ccd7e9e88bcdd2&p=46941#post46941

1 HP is ~ 745W....

I'm surprised wet dry vacuum companies haven't been sued yet in the USA for dubious hp ratings. Small engine companies got sued in a class action lawsuit because of over rated hp ratings if you look at lawn mowers in the USA they are advertised by torque not hp now.

I'm surprised wet dry vacuum companies haven't been sued yet in the USA for dubious hp ratings. Small engine companies got sued in a class action lawsuit because of over rated hp ratings if you look at lawn mowers in the USA they are advertised by torque not hp now.

Does anyone still believe tool companies ratings?  Even the accurate ratings are hardly correlated with performance.

As for the specs for a shop vac, I doubt you're going to like any shop vac at any price.  I count powerful, cheap, quiet, large (2.5 inch hoses go to large shop vacs), and compact.  If you ever find a shop vac to fit all those let us know because I think everyone here would buy in a heartbeat.  In the meantime you'll probably be happier with a dedicated vacuum or dust collector for your shop and a separate, smaller shop vac for the road.  There are a number of toolbox style corded and cordless shop vacs that are compact, quiet, and mobile when you don't need so much power.

Hi, I have a small wood working shop. I currently have a older craftsman 2.5HP Shop Vac, but am looking into a shop vac with better suction and precisely for my needs with out spending a lot of money. I would like a shop vac that is on the quieter side, that is still powerful enough at least 5HP to connect to various tools, with a 2.5 inch dia. hose. I would also like it somewhat compact to be able to take into peoples houses if need be. I also would like a blower function. Please help me with a decision. I don't know what I should do. Thank You.

Maybe upgrade the size of the vac but I'd consider getting a dust deputy kit to filter out the fine particles. You'll empty the vac less often and trap a lot of the small stuff in a senate container. If you really wanted you could spend some cash and how HEPA. I take DC pretty seriously as some of the chemicals in wood and MDF are scary. I have two units with HEPA filters in them.

I saw at my Home Depot, they have a 14 gallon Ridgid with Detachable Blower, and Extra Accessories and Filters for $99. I will probably get this unit.

My cousin just picked up a ridgid vac from HD with a detail kit that one of our crew members posted mayby last week for $79 which is a sweet deal considering the detail kit alone cost about $40-50 I would check the deal thread to see if it's still active

I bought this bad boy tonight! Love it only $99 14 gal Ridgid w/ detachable blower and extra accessories.

170c9c307777378ec434c392d2008071.jpgef4102da9c5b461bb6f9c8b625672b52.jpg