What are your worst jobsite injuries?

optimistspencer

My first job as a teen was on a landscape crew in FL. I was walking beside a skid steer holding a tree on the forks. The tire caught my foot and bent it in half toes to heel. Broke all five tibia. 

Second job was on a framing crew. Just out of high school. Framing in winter in Ohio. I was standing on a header nailing the long stud on the side. Nailer foot hit some ice on the 2x and slid off onto my foot with my finger still on the trigger. Shot spike through my big toe and second toe and then out the other side of my boot. 

Last injury I had was climbing down a TV antennae tower and my hand missed a rung and I fell 12' onto my back on frozen ground. Fractured a couple vertabrae and had to wear a brace for a bit. 

Thankfully nothing major for a long while now!!

You need a desk job. 

• Like 1

I think the worst I've done to myself was running an Oxy Acetylene cutting torch over my hand. I was bending and cutting steel brackets aboard a ship. The ship rolled and my right hand holding the torch moved across my left. It just felt dry at first then about 15 minutes later it was agony. Got a half day off duty for it though so not all bad. Also broke my foot in a storm off California once. We ran into San Diego a week later and I had the opportunity to go to docs but it was halloween and the gas light district was jumping so went to the pub with the lads instead.
The worst I saw happening was whilst working on supply ships offshore India. Ourselves and another ship were under the rig back loading well casing pipe for the beach when on the other ship the deckhand on the cargo deck got himself between the pipe and the crash rail when the ship took a roll. He was squished from the stomach up. Their whole crew got flown out on leave as they were all pretty traumatised.
Talking about shipyards above. I didn't witness it but a guy in Rosyth Royal Dockyard, whilst I was on the tugs there, was setting up a big mag drill on a plate with his mate as was a two man job. He was holding the bit with gloves when his mate hit the magnetise button. But his mate hit the wrong button and the drill switched on, grabbed his glove and ripped his middle finger right out. A good friend of mine was there and said when they picked the glove up the finger was inside and a tendon about a metre long was trailing out if it. Moral of that story is don't wear gloves when working with rotating machinery!!

• Like 1