AvE Reviews The Festool TS55REQ

DR99

true, I'm not really a fanboy of any brand. I'm more of a brushless fanboy, I've bought all of dewalts brushless tools now moving onto what makita have brushless that dewalt hadnt

I'm just shocked that not only isn't the festool track saw brushless it has dip-less field coils?!? Maybe that's the new it thing to have... dip-less is better than brushless!!! Jk

If he thinks the Festool is expensive he should price the Mafell lol!

I own a lot of green, but also a lot of yellow and a lot of blue. Gotta find what works for you and not worry about if someone else likes it or not.

Yes I do have a few festools and one of them is the track saw but most of my tools are Milwaukee then DeWalt. All three of these company's make good tools but with me it mainly  boils down to battery platform. I don't need a half dozen different battery's. I'm almost at the point that I have cut the cord totally.

Same here NER and Regopit. I've got a lot of green. But.....I've also got Makita, Dewalt and Bosch as well as a couple of Milwaukees too. Magellan would be a nice addition but right now my Festools rule the roost but I've been using the following tools all weekend in my shop Reno......

Dewalt DCS391 circular saw,

Dewalt DCN692 framer

Ryobi ZRP320 brad nailer

Bosch DDH181X drill and yes.....

Festool CXS (the best drill driver on the market. Period).

Guess my point is the same, I use it if it fits my bill. But the TS55REQ is by far the best track saw on the market. You know unless you want to spend another 5 bones on the Mafell ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Despite its flaws, the TS55 is a very nice saw. My opinion (and strictly that) is that Festool both enjoys and suffers from the "Snap-On Effect" wherein someone reasons that because something costs twice as much, it must be twice as good.

I think this video plays unfavorably for Festool though. In most cases Festool doesn't touch many other tools in regards to specs, so you're paying a huge premium for vastly superior quality and engineering. If they don't deliver that vastly superior Q&E, and it doesn't appear to be VASTLY superior, what are you paying for?

I try to keep in mind that AvE works in an industrial environment, complete with absurdly over engineered tools that cost more than my house and special order parts coming in from Grainger by UPS to a jobsite at 9 PM with a driver and runner to make the special delivery. He's probably often seeing conditions where the nearest service center might be hundreds or thousands of miles away, and poorly engineered tools could cost someone thousands of dollars or more in down time. Through that prism, the Festool doesn't really look very good. It certainly isn't built to "industrial" standards.

True but he seemed to like the Hilti he tore down much more and pointed out tons more things that were skookum about the Hilti but seemed to find many things that he thought they dropped the ball on with the festool...

Well, yeah... the Hilti was the better made tool. I have two Hilti combihammers and you'd have to pry them from my dead, lifeless hands.

I like AvE, His Canadian sense of humour is very close to my British sense of humour. Although he's quite secretive I get the impression he works in mineral extraction. I have worked in the offshore oil and gas industry as well as having worked in the commercial shipping world so our view of tools and how they should work is probably quite similar too. 

The bottom line is that the Festool saw he tore down was not a quality machine!

Bushings instead of bearings and less than quality plastics could perhaps be explained away on a tool that was considerably cheaper but for me the real killer blow was the undipped motor windings. That there would have me returning a £10 special from the Ti Nee Cok manufacturing company as not fit for purpose. I'm actually surprised that would even get UL and CE approval for use in the US and Europe?

• Like 1