TIA Sign from Dans X-Crave

Mondo1310

Just received the TIA sign from Dan and Eric on a shipping mistake. This sign should have gone to Wig Wag Workshop for generously donating to TIA Patreon. Theirs link below if any else wishes to donate to TIA. Dan and Eric graciously let me keep the sign. Wig Wag Workshop is getting another sign he deserves for helping TIA. But I need the crews help on how should I paint stain maybe epoxy the sign.

https://www.patreon.com/toolsinaction?ty=h

Just received the TIA sign from Dan and Eric on a shipping mistake. This sign should have gone to Wig Wag Workshop for generously donating to TIA Patreon. Theirs link below if any else wishes to donate to TIA. Dan and Eric graciously let me keep the sign. Wig Wag Workshop is getting another sign he deserves for helping TIA. But I need the crews help on how should I paint stain maybe epoxy the sign.

I suggest you ship it off to me, so I can sand and finish it... LOL - It's all in good fun. What kind of sanding implements do you have? My suggestion is to start from one end and work top to bottom, don't move all around in different places.  Think like how a robot would do it.  Start with a course grit in that style, and work through the grits from 80 to 320, till all is smooth.  Understand, that this is oak, a very dense wood, and will take some time.  I enjoy the sanding process, most wood workers absolutely hate it LOL. I would not suggest messing with epoxy resin, until you have messed around on some test pieces, it can be tricky and mistakes usually can not be redone.  For stain, just head to the big box store, and search out a finish color you like. Be sure to look at the samples they show, and look at the oak sample. 

Feel free to ping me, if you need any further help and I will be happy to clarify any questions.

-Steven

Lol Steven thanks for being a good sport about the whole mix up!! All I have is a makita palm sander and that about it. Kinda want to paint it like the actual TIA logo but have my doubts since it's nice oak wood.

I agree. I am a big fan of natural wood, almost makes me cry when someone wants me to paint a beautiful piece of wood! My vote is for some type of stain. I do like the idea of making the recessed areas darker somehow so it stands out a little better. Good luck on whatever you decide and make sure to post some pictures!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

. I'm jealous mondo congrats man!! I would stain it bro.

sanding is a pain in the ass that is very necessary, it will only look as good as the prep work, Staining should be a piece of cake after the sanding.  

Honestly never understood why so many woodworkers hate the sanding process so much LOL. I guess I must be crazy, it's one of my favorite things about woodworking, it's one of the most satisfying feeling of accomplishment after its done.

Honestly I'm still undecided how to finish it. I'm thinking about doing a darker stain for the letters and light color for the rest. Been test different colors. I might be over thinking this a bit.

That's understandable man. I would hate to screw it up. I like the dark for the letters and lighter for the recessed areas. I think whatever you end up going with will look good.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dude u have an awful smelling brown spot on your nose... Oh i see how u got that sign. Lol jk bro. That thing is bad ass. I personally would put a thick trim on top of that and router the edges to insert led lighting. With the stain your talking about would look bad ass. Nice score

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk