First Project with the New BenchZall....

comp56

well I'm almost ready to start a project, I have been setting up the basement shop for this winter season and I figure I want to get something going.....so in saying that I am going to be making a set of speakers.....the set will consist of a left, a right and a center so 3 speakers total. I will be using Zebrawood for this project the wood looks like this un-finished:

zebrawood_3.jpg

and like this when finished:

7-edge-grain-zebra-wood-countertop_1.jpg

So I have conjured up all the business end of the speakers and will be starting the wood end next....

DSC_1338.jpg

these speakers will not shatter any windows (100W) like a good set of bookshelf speakers  ....they will be more like fine furniture or something to look at while listening.....

stay tuned.....haha no pun intended 

• 4 weeks later...

That's going to be beautiful. Are you planning on soldering filters(Capacitors) on for the tweeters? Probably not necessary but may help with audio quality for your highs, I personally would recommend.

He is using cannibalized speaker parts already. The crossovers are already on the speaker terminals. (Coils and caps)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BA is great for the buck, the only thing you may want to to do is hold off on using the old ports. Zebra wood is much less denser than the veneered BA MDF stuff. You may want to start with a sealed box and 1/2 the dampening material. Most ports are tuned to the enclosure and may sound hollow and boomy in a larger, less dense enclosure.

Just my 2 cents.

I cant wait to see the finish project. I love zebra wood. How much was it a ft. Its hard to find it by me unless i cruise towards the city

Eric, there is this thing call the Internet, it's a place where you can order things, that you can't find close to you... J/K LOL  (In a really happy mood has always)

But seriously, this is the main supplier I use. I also search that Auction site, sometimes I find some really good deals that include free shipping.  I ordering some Purpleheart for a project I am working on for me lady's Christmas present.

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/intarsia_wood.php#zebrawood

Eric, there is this thing call the Internet, it's a place where you can order things, that you can't find close to you... J/K LOL  (In a really happy mood has always)

But seriously, this is the main supplier I use. I also search that Auction site, sometimes I find some really good deals that include free shipping.  I ordering some Purpleheart for a project I am working on for me lady's Christmas present.

http://ocoochhardwoods.com/intarsia_wood.php#zebrawood

looks like you can get a very good selection of different woods there, however I am lucky to have a local shop that carries some big stuff of the same flavors. price is up and down depending on the markets so I frequent the place quite often to check prices. They are good to as they will cut off pieces for me in the size I want. I did some purpleheart reindeer last season that was a real hit....

• Like 1

looks like you can get a very good selection of different woods there, however I am lucky to have a local shop that carries some big stuff of the same flavors. price is up and down depending on the markets so I frequent the place quite often to check prices. They are good to as they will cut off pieces for me in the size I want. I did some purpleheart reindeer last season that was a real hit....

Right On! I have an awesome supplier about an hour away, unfortunately they only sell large pieces most of the time.  It's a crap shoot if they have any smaller pieces, and I think they are held for their frequent customers.  I mostly build small scale stuff that requires exotic woods.

What is that crazy talk, the internet. Next your going to tell me they have smart phones where I can magically send a message or use that internet thing.

make sure you have a lot of blades for that purpleheart. Beautiful wood. I am going to check out that site, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is that crazy talk, the internet. Next your going to tell me they have smart phones where I can magically send a message or use that internet thing.

make sure you have a lot of blades for that purpleheart. Beautiful wood. I am going to check out that site, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't worry Eric this internet thing is just a fad, they say it won't last......

BTW thing about purpleheart is heat is your enemy, as purpleheart gets hot from cutting friction it brings a resin to the surface and as it is doing this it hardens which makes cutting even worse. a good lub on blades is a must  and slow cutting .......same as sanding purpleheart if you sand to fast it will start turning black the black is the resin.......then gets brittle almost like glass......