Does anyone else miss brushed tools?

optimistspencer

Hahaha ^^ doesnt the handle have like 4 detents on the drill it grips into ?

Here in belgium everyone except Milwaukee used the real voltage numbers fortunatly. Its all 10.8 volt. 18 volt. 22volt for hilti and 36 volts.

Only Milwaukee reps are adamant their m12 tools give a continious 12 volt charge and that is what makes their m12 fuel better.

I always have alot of fun with Milwaukee reps..... Idiots :P

Anyways back to the brushed/brushless discussion.

Dont really miss brushed tools no.

• Like 1

A bit random:
Torque numbers didn't tell me too much, so I tested how much torque the brushless makita impact wrench can deliver compared to myself.
post-50323-0-03442800-1442251587_thumb.j
Here is the bolt I was testing: Its an M24 bolt (24mm / 1 inch) and a 36mm/1-1/2" nut/socket: Fastened it with the impact wrench for about 3-4 seconds. And tried pulling it of with the 250mm/10" Knipex wrench. But no luck.

Then I tried the cheap 300mm/12" wrench, and at first try, it opened it jaws and rounded it a bit. Tried again, pulling even harder, putting all my weight on it, plus some ekstra steel brackets to get better grip and a tiny bit more length.

Pushing against with one foot and two hands, pulling all I've got. And right before I was about to give up, it finally loosened. WOW!

Okay, I'm not very strong, nor big, but pretty much your average joe in their best age. Weighing in at a normal 80kg/176 ibs. And this really impressed me. Thia small makita could thighten or loosen the bolt with such ease, while I really made up a real sweat. And this was with the 1/2" to 3/4" socket adapter. Damn!

Edit: Considering the numbers: 280nm/9,81 (gravity) = 28,5 kgm. 28,5kgm/0,3m (300mm wrench) = 85,6 Kg that I had to exert on the end of the wrench. Which yeah, probably explaines it. XD Stupid me.

I don't know if you're talking about the motor or the whole tool. It may be that tools used to be made better in general, but there's really no disadvantage to brushless motors aside from cost. They are electronic, so there are less wear parts. That makes them more efficient and longer lasting.

i don't miss brushed tools but i don't use brushless tools. (Well i have some Milwaukee fuel so nvm) But all i own is Makita and the Makita brushless motors have the same power that the brushed do but cost more so ill stick to brushed until Makita changes.

That might be true for the compact drill or the cheap impact but thats about it.

The Makita brushless impact driver dtd148/ impact wrench/jigsaw/circulzr saw/ Rotary / angle grinder / leaf blower / brushcutter / string trimmer are easily alot stronger with more runtime compared tot their older brushes versions. Here in Europese the difference is about 20/30 euro's more expensive for the brushless type.

I think people are just prone to getting sentimental about what they've used for a long time. I'm not sure there is much that couldn't be done with either style in a well executed design but technically brushless is maintenance free where as brushes are essentially consumables and need to be replaced at some point. I bet lots of people missed horses when automobiles became all the rage but as someone who had horses as a kid, and I do love those majestic beasts, I'm glad I don't have to feed and muck stalls to keep them around just so I can take the buggy to the local hardware store every time I need a new tool fix ;)