Craftsman...Made in China?

mjraug18

What do you think of Craftsman out sourcing many of their tools to China? Are they compromising the quality of Craftsman tools or do you feel the quality is the same. I've had my Craftsman 3 ton jack for close to 8 years and just noticed today that it was made in China. All of my Craftsman precision tools are also made in China. I realize that many American tool makers are going out side of the U.S. to have their tools made, but are we paying for inferior tools? When I want quality tools, I buy American made and when I want disposible tools I shop at Harbor Freight. I always thought all Craftsman tools were American made.

Craftsman have outsourced their tools for a long time to other companies, which started going to China. Some companies go to China and get good quality, like apple ipads. I would rather see it built in the US. Its the no name tools that go to China and get junk, like Harbor Frieght. The thing that scares me is Craftsman started with some of their lawn equipment being outsourced to china and they were garbage. Lots of problems with their trimmers, blowers etc. Hopefully they keep a tight watch on the power tools. I own the 75 anniversary which I think I bought in 2000 and they were made in China. The drill and saw still run great.