Upcoming cool adapter!!!! DCA1820

jimmy.latulippe

Sorry still getting the hang of posting sorry for double posts

I have one also it was a 5 buck find at a thrift store with 2 batteries couldn't pass it

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

No worries, you stole it at 5 bucks 

just let the old 18 volt system die.  no reason to keep spending money on it. lol

I think that's the point of the adapter. I believe they're still making the 18v batteries because I still see them available online. You create an adapter and that allows you to stop supporting the old tools. Then the guys with the 18V tools now have 20V batteries, so when the 18V tool finally dies guess what they're going to buy.

It a lot like what Microsoft has done with Windows 10. The end goal is to get everyone on Windows 10, what's the best way to do it? If you end support on Windows 7 or 8.1, you piss off customers. If you give them an upgrade option, they're "Supporting their customers" with a free upgrade.

• 4 weeks later...

I think that's the point of the adapter. I believe they're still making the 18v batteries because I still see them available online. You create an adapter and that allows you to stop supporting the old tools. Then the guys with the 18V tools now have 20V batteries, so when the 18V tool finally dies guess what they're going to buy.

EXACTLY!

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of promo at some point for the 18V owners to get a "free" adapter with some sort of combo purchase. Say.... Two 20V slide packs with an adapter for $129 or something like that.

• Like 1

EXACTLY!

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of promo at some point for the 18V owners to get a "free" adapter with some sort of combo purchase. Say.... Two 20V slide packs with an adapter for $129 or something like that.

I think I saw or heard something like that was going to happen. I think Dewalt wants to stop making the Nicad batteries, but it would have to be a charger adapter and battery because the old 18v charger can't handle lithium batteries. Dewalt was probably in the toughest situation regarding changing battery styles Dewalt xrp back in the day was the jobsite standard back then. Dewalt still is huge don't get me wrong but the competition is much stronger now. I read some where dunno how true it is a bunch of Dewalt guys left to Milwaukee when TTI bough out Milwaukee from Altas Copco. You have to admit Milwaukee really turned things around.

• 3 months later...

To any Dewalt employees out there:

Regarding the DCA1820 adapter: The following is what it states on the Dewalt website:

"Do not use adapter with premium batteries (DCB200, DCB204, DCB204BT, DCB205) in 18V Compact drills DC970, DC759. Use with DCB201, DCB203, DCB203BT compact batteries."

What puzzles me is that it appears that it will only work with Dewalt's 1.5 Ah and 2 Ah Compact Slide-on Li ion Batteries.

I don't understand why it shouldn't work with the so-called "Premium" 3, 4 and 5 Ah Batteries. The interface is exactly the same on all the XR Slide-on Batteries.

Is this a marketing thing or is there some physical reason why this restriction is stated?

Cheers,

Peter

To any Dewalt employees out there:

Regarding the DCA1820 adapter: The following is what it states on the Dewalt website:

"Do not use adapter with premium batteries (DCB200, DCB204, DCB204BT, DCB205) in 18V Compact drills DC970, DC759. Use with DCB201, DCB203, DCB203BT compact batteries."

What puzzles me is that it appears that it will only work with Dewalt's 1.5 Ah and 2 Ah Compact Slide-on Li ion Batteries.

I don't understand why it shouldn't work with the so-called "Premium" 3, 4 and 5 Ah Batteries. The interface is exactly the same on all the XR Slide-on Batteries.

Is this a marketing thing or is there some physical reason why this restriction is stated?

Cheers,

Peter

Maybe read through this thread, might be more information for you:

http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/8174-whos-getting-the-20v-max-adapter-for-their-old-18v-tools/page-2