BL 18V and BL 2x18V Recipe saws - Now with Official info !

kornomaniac

They are being released here (New Zealand) next month. Tried them both out last night. NICE!

I preferred the 36v. Felt it had a little more power which stopped the vibrations I was getting when using the 18v version. 36v is meant to have 20% more power. Up against the Hitachi "Godzilla" corded recip, the 36v Makita kicked butt! I tried them all and the 36v was my favourite by a considerable margin... roll on July!

12 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

They are being released here (New Zealand) next month. Tried them both out last night. NICE!

I preferred the 36v. Felt it had a little more power which stopped the vibrations I was getting when using the 18v version. 36v is meant to have 20% more power.

That's interesting. What sort of cutting were you doing? When I tested (and filmed) cutting sleepers and soild steel bar, the 18V and 18x2 times were virtually identical...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tool Lover 69 said:

I preferred the 36v. Felt it had a little more power which stopped the vibrations I was getting when using the 18v version. 36v is meant to have 20% more power. Up against the Hitachi "Godzilla" corded recip, the 36v Makita kicked butt! I tried them all and the 36v was my favourite by a considerable margin... roll on July!

Most Makita reps have been saying they have the same power which likely means the same motor, but they could get a very small boost in power running off 36V.  The feeling of the 36V is probably the extra weight damping vibration and putting pressure on the cut.

On 3/06/2016 at 11:08 AM, dwain said:

That's interesting. What sort of cutting were you doing? When I tested (and filmed) cutting sleepers and soild steel bar, the 18V and 18x2 times were virtually identical...

We were cutting 8x2 vertically. The shoes and blade setup may have played a part though. Had I had more time with the tools I would have tried more tests. According to an Aussie tool site selling these, " This model uses 36V (18V x 2) Technology that makes it up to 30% faster than anything else on the market. " and states further down that it has more power.

Just now, Tool Lover 69 said:

We were cutting 8x2 vertically. The shoes and blade setup may have played a part though. Had I had more time with the tools I would have tried more tests. According to an Aussie tool site selling these, " This model uses 36V (18V x 2) Technology that makes it up to 30% faster than anything else on the market. " and states further down that it has more power.

The sleepers I cut were also 8x2. The tool specs are identical, and the housing is identical in size. If it looks, feels and smells the same, it probably is the same. Makita's AU website doesn't claim it has any extra power...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Andrull said:

If possible, measuring the power draw (watt) would be the ultimate word for saying if you get any more power. :)
Is sure would be very interesting to know. 

There might be a slightly higher efficiency at the higher voltage, but yeah the power output would still be nearly indistinguishable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Honestly I think Dewalt stole everyone's thunder in a big way; with FlexVolt hitting the ground soon there isn't time for anther company to play catchup with a rush job.

The FlexVolt recip better outdo the Fuel though, which in a video I saw it did not.

I find it disappointing that the x2 Makita isn't a powerful savage cordless super Sawzall type saw. More runtime isn't worth it in my opinion. Changing batteries is pretty quick and easy. The extra weight would annoy me more than battery swapping twice as often. 

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Honestly I think Dewalt stole everyone's thunder in a big way; with FlexVolt hitting the ground soon there isn't time for anther company to play catchup with a rush job.

The FlexVolt recip better outdo the Fuel though, which in a video I saw it did not.

I find it disappointing that the x2 Makita isn't a powerful savage cordless super Sawzall type saw. More runtime isn't worth it in my opinion. Changing batteries is pretty quick and easy. The extra weight would annoy me more than battery swapping twice as often. 

Is there a head to head between the flexvolt and sawzall? Can you link the video you seen? 

7 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Thanks for that heads up. I was gonna pre order. Don't think I will now. Maybe I'll just go with the Makita brushless. Cost me a lot less but the dewalt recip was kinda like my introduction to the flexvolt line as I don't need any of the other flexvolt stuff just yet. Has anyone faced off the Makita vs the fuel yet?