BL 18V and BL 2x18V Recipe saws - Now with Official info !

kornomaniac

13 minutes ago, Bremon said:

It could have just been the test. I haven't seen any face offs including the Makita at this point. It will be interesting to see the FlexVolt recip in tool fights as well. 

Personally I have little faith in the reciprocating saw from Dewalt. If a tool has ever deserved to have some sort of shock isolation built into the body it's on this...but it's not. Hell even Ryobi has it. Instead it's likely going to beat the hell out of you just like all of Dewalts other reciprocating saws will. 

I hate cords but won't hesitate to drag out a Milwaukee or Tiger Saw reciprocating instead of my 20v Dewalt just to save myself the violent result it presents. 

15 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Personally I have little faith in the reciprocating saw from Dewalt. If a tool has ever deserved to have some sort of shock isolation built into the body it's on this...but it's not. Hell even Ryobi has it. Instead it's likely going to beat the hell out of you just like all of Dewalts other reciprocating saws will. 

I hate cords but won't hesitate to drag out a Milwaukee or Tiger Saw reciprocating instead of my 20v Dewalt just to save myself the violent result it presents. 

I would like to think that their new brushless saw has some anti vibration technology in it, thats what i love about my fuel sawzall it is just so smooth while making cuts, even my older corded sawzall doesn't beat you up too bad

Been using the djr187 for the past week now. Although it is an improvement over the older model I am not blown away by it. It still seems miles off corded performance. And I don't know if it's just me but I feel like my makita batteries drain a hell of a lot quicker than my dewalts but they are in higher demanding tools which kind of makes sense

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to pick up the brushless 18v.  I wasn't even at the store for that and happen to see it just there.  Apparently they just got it.

I ended up getting some 5ah batteries too.  I've only had 3ah batteries.  I tried the brushless recip saw and also my x2 circular saw with the new batteries.  They definitely both got a boost from using 5ah vs 3ah.  As for performance... I'm happy with it.  I picked up also the small recip saw (djr183z) that is like really small.   I need to cut through some old galvanized plumbing pipes in cramped spaces.  The brushless recip breezes through it.  The small one however really couldn't cut it.  Which I am disappointed in because I got it to get in tight spaces.  Still I'll try it again as I've got more left to do.  2x4 are very quick with the brushless and not worth trying with the drj183.  I found it does work well for cutting old cement drywall though on demo sections.  ( of course this kills the blade).  Also have to cut a cast iron stack so I think that will be a very good test for it. 

I've used the milwaukee non fuel sawzall and without being able to compare them side to side, I feel like the new makita brushless is more powerful (duh..)   I'm very happy with the ergonomics.  The light at the end is great.  the shoe adjustment works well and it's really comfortable in the hands, I don't find it heavy to work with. 

While i'm here I'll just say I also bought a few months ago the brushless vacuum dcl500z.  I hate it.  don't get it.  It's overpriced and sucks in a bad way.  I'd return it but I threw out the box and it was ordered by mail.

Also picked up the x2 rotary hammer few months ago too.  I like it.  Work well, not the lightest tool.  I should probably try with the 5ah...

• Like 2

It's great having bigger amp hour packs on tools, gives those high demand tools a good boost

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I couldn't believe the difference when I threw a 6.2ah battery on my impact driver. It runs great with the 2.0ah it came with, but man it had more zip with the bigger ah battery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I couldn't believe the difference when I threw a 6.2ah battery on my impact driver. It runs great with the 2.0ah it came with, but man it had more zip with the bigger ah battery.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I notice it the most on my m18 light, with a 3.0 the high mode is about the same brightness as low with a 5.0, noticeably brighter

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

36v model has a performance gain over the 18v. Harder material, it can cut quicker. I was at a makita expo in Sydney yesterday and tested this myself. Makita rep using the 36v model, me using the 18v, cutting austrailan hardwood. 36v was quicker.  Djr187 is made in China and djr360 is made in Japan. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Dwain, I asked the rep about the blades. They were both changed to new not long before and they had only done about 5 cut each. Yes you have a good point about down push, that going to be the only variable. The rep was about the same height and build as me, so I guess the down push was similar. 

I think you should do another video and put this debate to bed. 

Do a video comparing djr187, djr360, milwaukee fuel and dealt 54v recip when it comes out. Do some time testing on hardwood, 20mm thick steel flat bar and 100nb steel pipe. Also maybe some stainless steel. 

3 minutes ago, dwain said:

It could happen, but not in the near future. I'm actually about to do a comparison of hackzall type saws.

Seriously can't wait to see the flexvolt gear...

Do us all a favor and include the compact 20v and embarrass the hell out of Dewalt for their abortion of a tool. 

• Like 2

I don't think you would be so negative about the Dewalt if it was being compared to anything but the FUEL. Compare it to the brushed Milwaukee, bosch, makita, metabo, hitachi, hilti etc, and it's going to come up pretty well.

EDIT: oh, you're talking about the COMPACT 10V/20V. I haven't tried that one...

1 minute ago, dwain said:

I don't think you would be so negative about the Dewalt if it was being compared to anything but the FUEL. Compare it to the brushed Milwaukee, bosch, makita, metabo, hitachi, hilti etc, and it's going to come up pretty well.

EDIT: oh, you're talking about the COMPACT 10V/20V. I haven't tried that one...

Get a mouth guard if you do. If you wear contacts, take those out so they don't get lodged behind your eyes when they begin to involuntarily roll back into what will seem like impossible complete circles. Also the skin on your arms will appear to begin to warp the fabric of space time as the saw works to liquify your insides, but don't worry, the effects go away after a few days. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Get a mouth guard if you do. If you wear contacts, take those out so they don't get lodged behind your eyes when they begin to involuntarily roll back into what will seem like impossible complete circles. Also the skin on your arms will appear to begin to warp the fabric of space time as the saw works to liquify your insides, but don't worry, the effects go away after a few days. 

It makes a great concrete vibrator though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

It makes a great concrete vibrator though.

OMG...how did I never think of this!!! So this is the idea, take a plunger, soak the handle to soften it up and cut the handle down the center about 5" down. Apply epoxy to the insides and insert a old short wood blade into the handle length wise inside the split, and put two hose clamps cranked super tight and wait for it to cure. 

Boom. A now useful reciprocating tool attachment converted into a concrete vibrator. Brilliant. 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

OMG...how did I never think of this!!! So this is the idea, take a plunger, soak the handle to soften it up and cut the handle down the center about 5" down. Apply epoxy to the insides and insert a old short wood blade into the handle length wise inside the split, and put two hose clamps cranked super tight and wait for it to cure. 

Boom. A now useful reciprocating tool attachment converted into a concrete vibrator. Brilliant. 

You're overthinking it.  Just take the blade out and run the shoe along a form for smaller pours. The vibration does all the work for you. :P

• Like 2

:lol: this thread just keeps on giving lol. I'll echo Dwain's sentiments about being excited for FlexVolt. I'll have a good chuckle if there's no isolation in that unit either. Looks great in a power comparison video, but you may have to factor dental work into the purchase price.

As to the Makitas...can't imagine getting the 18x2 version. COO would be the main reason for me but not a good enough reason to drag 20 cells on the ass end of it. 

6 minutes ago, Bremon said:

:lol: this thread just keeps on giving lol. I'll echo Dwain's sentiments about being excited for FlexVolt. I'll have a good chuckle if there's no isolation in that unit either. Looks great in a power comparison video, but you may have to factor dental work into the purchase price.

As to the Makitas...can't imagine getting the 18x2 version. COO would be the main reason for me but not a good enough reason to drag 20 cells on the ass end of it. 

It adds 600g to the weight the extra battery. Tigger, speed switch, shoe adjust lever and black over mould feel and look better on djr360