What was your very first power tool?

JimboS1ice

They don't make toy tools like they used to eh? I remember probably elementary school age I had a very small tool box, it was a wood box with some screw drivers, pliers and a hammer, all functional tools just shrunk down in size. There may have even been a small saw like you said that could cut balsa but I haven't seen anything like that anymore. It's a shame that such idiots exist today that kits like that for kids today are far and few between.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously!! It's all cartoonish plastic crap now a days that you would never in a million years be able to actually use.. Its a shame.. I had so much fun with my little tools.

I've gotta go dig through the closets/basement/attic at my parents and see if I can find any of them . that would be sweet!

That was the nice thing back in the day big combo kits like that came in hard cases. Now you can get the Dewalt kit in a toughbox, but in general bags have replace them because they are cheaper. I don't like bags but they do allow you to add more tools then a specific blow molded case.

• Like 1

That was the nice thing back in the day big combo kits like that came in hard cases. Now you can get the Dewalt kit in a toughbox, but in general bags have replace them because they are cheaper. I don't like bags but they do allow you to add more tools then a specific blow molded case.

I started my business with that kit. I think I used it for nearly a year until I bought the Bosch drill and impacts.

• Like 1

My first power tools were from Sears,back when Craftsman was actually decent stuff. I had a corded drill (1/2"),Dremel,sander,jigsaw.  The drill had a rpm control on the trigger which I always thought was kind of cool. My first cordless I think was a Porter Cable 14v,that thing was a beast for its time.

I agree on what others have said about kids tool toy kits,I have had the same issues finding stuff for my boys. My 8 year old loves using my bosch 12v drill and driver,they fit his hand pretty well. No substitute for the real thing nowadays. I built my kids kits using the HDX brand from Home Depot,they are cheap but they work for teaching,they also have handles that arent overly large so good for smaller hands.

Seriously!! It's all cartoonish plastic crap now a days that you would never in a million years be able to actually use.. Its a shame.. I had so much fun with my little tools.

I've gotta go dig through the closets/basement/attic at my parents and see if I can find any of them . that would be sweet!

Omg i rembered these tools I still have some not that old considering I'm only 15 had an old home depot one that I got at toys r us this is the only one I could find but I know I have the others somewhere6ca9f3c49e26d22db6df15535aad3d9e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My first power tool that I actually owned was an old Craftsman nicad drill. Was a 12v cordless. Funny part was that it was several years old, so I would only get a few minutes of battery life per charge. I still have it, and it has really got me out of shit... When my drill died and I couldn't afford a new one immediately, I managed to hook up a 20v lion battery to it from my old drill, and got it running like a tank. Now I have my fein 18v, and obviously the old craftsman can't compete, but I've got a lot of use out of it, and still have it today. Funny to think... Four years of obsession seems like forever, but compared to most if you it's nothing. Huh.

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I was talking about this question last night, and I'll tell you, this is harder for me then you think!  My first tool, I bought myself was a corded Makita 3/8" keyed chuck drill. I was 15 and needed to install a deadbolt lock on a neighbors door. That was 42 years ago. I still have that drill haha. Can you say pack rat!  

• Like 3

Wow... Old thread revival ... Great topic I shall play.

1986 ish craftsman cordless drill. 3/8 keyed chuck built it battery, tiny hole for charger cord .... Looking back it was nice, today good for holding down tool receipts ......???????

• Like 1

First power tool that was MINE (not my dad's that I used all the time) was Porter Cable router with fixed and plunge bases, in the two black plastic boxes that slipped together, can't think of model no. I got the router for Christmas probably 15 years ago is all

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk