It has been a BUSY 7 months!

rrich1

Earlier this year I posted pics of my deck that my brother in law and I built. I then built a table, benches, and some Adirondack chairs. All between March and April. Here is a before pic and then one after the deck. 
Screenshot_2015-10-21-15-35-35_zpsjeg3lw

After the deck I decided to  tackle the landscaping. When we built the deck we pulled out and set aside over 1500 brick. Well to reuse the brick, I mortered it around the west, south, and east sides of the house. This took a few months as I did it all myself while working full time and dealing with the wife and two kids under 3. Having this been a first time doing this I hope it is the last time in my life that I do it! 

IMG_20150804_184247214_zpsy0sg3chy.jpg
IMG_20150804_184258245_zpsrulwepub.jpg
IMG_20150726_234056271_zpstzle0w6x.jpg
IMG_20150726_234104647_zpsbgcavabp.jpg
IMG_20150723_175929679_HDR_zpszf6wajyx.j
these were filled in just didn't have a pic of it. 
IMG_20150804_184312668_zps6qc8tdm2.jpg

• Like 4

With the deck and landscaping looking good I decided I wanted to paint the house. Hail damaged our roof so a replacement was in the future. The most regarded roofing company in the area was 3 months out and I decided it would allow me enough time to paint the house. I initially thought about painting it next year but with a new roof coming I figured I could cut my prep time down by not worrying about taping or caring if paint got on the roof. After a few different shades we decided on  Benjamin Moore colors "Old Navy" and "Bright Yellow" with the trim white for the " Pop" factor. I purchased Sherwin Williams paint with their 40% off sale in July and had it tinted the day before I started to paint. I spent all of August prepping the house. Power washed, scrubbed, scraped, primed, replacement of 100' of ceder siding, and replaced brick molding around the garage doors and side garage door. 

IMG_20150813_193151197_zpsga1bnym7.jpg

IMG_20150907_172929880_zps6dbgfxdf.jpg

IMG_20150907_172952055_zpsmx8kuyva.jpg

IMG_20150907_173019983_zps5pgnhorb.jpg

At the start of September i began to paint. Right off the bat I had problems with my sprayer and wasted a whole weekend. I finally got it figured out and was on my way. With the blue it took 3 coats of paint. During painting, I replaced our front door, put in a new storm door, replaced the lighting, took out our pole light, built a floating number plaque, and I built a wood rack. I finally finished up the painting last week and couldn't be happier with how it turned out! My neighbor was a painter for over 50 years and is very pleased with it. 

With the paint done last week our roof was set to be replaced this week. They started on Tuesday and immediately ran into plywood problems. We had a leak in our sunroom which I knew would need repaired but they found moisture/mold on a total of 52 boards which all would be replaced. Knowing I basically have a brand new roof I am not upset a out it. The roof had a brown tone in it before and it matched much better now being a gray tone. Hope you enjoyed the pics! It was a great learning experience as I did everything myself besides the deck. 

IMG_20151021_153651355_zpsbvty8jqo.jpg

IMG_20151021_152638121_zps0jvz2yjj.jpg

IMG_20151021_152551156_zpsfaz7gdwl.jpg

IMG_20151021_152720125_zpsy5c0ljop.jpg

IMG_20151021_152515596_HDR_zpslb1bp1oy.j

IMG_20151013_182200677_zpsq8jh9r2q.jpg

Beautiful job Rich. That's something to be proud of!

Thanks! My neighbors were skeptical of the paint color at first. We painted the doors on our shed to get an idea of what it would look like with the white. The all love it and I constantly get compliments on it. Funny is now there are two other houses within two blocks of me painted either a blue or sided in a blue tone. 

Busy is an understatement man. That's a lot of work and turned out great. We have a house that is almost identical in color as yours down the street from us and I love it. Looks great with the white trim. Nice work brother!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks great Rich!!! You did the one thing I hate the most painting. I went through the same thing when I resided my garage people though I was crazy the colors I picked, but once they went up it came out awesome.

I think I would paint my house two times over as long as I never had to do the brick work again!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's "old navy" from Benjamin Moore. It is a true navy and not purple.

It's funny you say that about the purple. She pointed out a house in the next town with the dark blue siding. I drove by it this summer with the afternoon sun and the house looked like plum crazy purple. Thanks for the color buddy, and again great job!

One thing you might want to do later is replace the mulch with landscaping rock and weed barrier. It costs more and is back breaking but long term is so much less maintenance. After dealing with mulch for a few years I got tired of having to redo and dress it up all the time. It did come out awesome though you deserve a winter break this year :)

One thing you might want to do later is replace the mulch with landscaping rock and weed barrier. It costs more and is back breaking but long term is so much less maintenance. After dealing with mulch for a few years I got tired of having to redo and dress it up all the time. It did come out awesome though you deserve a winter break this year :)

thanks. I know brick is less maintenance over time but I like the look of mulch better. Plus if I have to ever change anything the mulch is much easier to deal with than the rock. 

• 2 months later...

thanks. I know brick is less maintenance over time but I like the look of mulch better. Plus if I have to ever change anything the mulch is much easier to deal with than the rock.

Question:will the brick heave and break apart from freezing/thawing cycles?

Looks very very nice and tasteful by the way, I gotta do something about my exterior as well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Question:will the brick heave and break apart from freezing/thawing cycles?

Looks very very nice and tasteful by the way, I gotta do something about my exterior as well

we have had some cyc;es this winter, ill try and check tomorrow. every so often when i started i tried to cut a slit all the way down to leave room for expansion. im pretty sure i forgot to continue that half way through. 

thanks for the kind words. the paint has held up great so far. which i am ecstatic about. 

Thanks everyone. Happy to say the paint is holding up well lol. [emoji16]

How did you like the graco sprayer? Pros, cons? Anything in particular you could pass on to interested people (Me)?