What are your favorite phillips power bits?

BMack37

The phillips drive itself doesn't cause problems nearly as much as the implementation.  A lot of screws either try to get by with a smaller phillips size than they should, or don't make the drive head deep enough.

Have you broken any of the bits yet BMack?  I broke a maxfit bit in a drywall screw last week (first time I've seen anything fail before a drywall screw).  Pissed me off so much I had to take a walk back to get my own impact and bits before I hammered the screw the rest of the way with the guy's impact.  I know they're not impact rated but my drill can snap the head of a drywall screw.

The phillips drive itself doesn't cause problems nearly as much as the implementation.  A lot of screws either try to get by with a smaller phillips size than they should, or don't make the drive head deep enough.

Have you broken any of the bits yet BMack?  I broke a maxfit bit in a drywall screw last week (first time I've seen anything fail before a drywall screw).  Pissed me off so much I had to take a walk back to get my own impact and bits before I hammered the screw the rest of the way with the guy's impact.  I know they're not impact rated but my drill can snap the head of a drywall screw.

I have not but I haven't been able to do any projects that were really stressful, nothing with the Impact driver. I've been dealing with some lingering injuries so none of those projects are getting done. At work I use the bits everyday so I can see the wear on just driving with a light clutch setting mostly...you can see wear from general usage in this way but no strength testing, that comes with the homeowner stuff for me. I was also planning on doing some testing by just driving a bunch of screws into a piece of wood but the injuries are killing me. 

The Maxfits are impact rated :)

I have not but I haven't been able to do any projects that were really stressful, nothing with the Impact driver. I've been dealing with some lingering injuries so none of those projects are getting done. At work I use the bits everyday so I can see the wear on just driving with a light clutch setting mostly...you can see wear from general usage in this way but no strength testing, that comes with the homeowner stuff for me. I was also planning on doing some testing by just driving a bunch of screws into a piece of wood but the injuries are killing me.

Just bought a max fit t25 Torx and #2 Philips in 6" length for my kreg jig.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just bought a max fit t25 Torx and #2 Philips in 6" length for my kreg jig.

Jimbo

They're really good value, the 6" Maxfit is as much as the 3.5" Makita gold. The Makita gold is two sided but it only works if you wear out the tip, if you break the bit it's not reusable.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope everything finishes healing up soon.

I'm surprised to hear maxfit are impact rated.  Just recall flextorque being impact rated, and the maxfit felt more like non impact rated bits.

• Like 1

The troubles of being American. Finally in the past few years better drive styles have taken off. I see more options at big box stores than ever. You still see a crap load of Phillips bits though

I agree.  I want to go with Robertson drive screws but have a large stash of Phillips.  When looking to start my Roberson stash I found almost all Phillips stuff.  Had to search to find Robertson screws then when I did find them they where at least twice the cost. 

For now I have given up my quest for Robertson stuff as being impractical and focused on finding quality Phillips bits and screwdrivers.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.  I hope everything finishes healing up soon.

I'm surprised to hear maxfit are impact rated.  Just recall flextorque being impact rated, and the maxfit felt more like non impact rated bits.

Thanks Jeff :)

Yeah, I agree, they're more substantial feeling than most impact bits but the little collar on it is enough. The Flextorque is a pretty crappy bit, in my opinion...you can even see it through the packaging. My initial impression back before this thread started was that Dewalt bits were about as good as Milwaukee...then Jimbo and another member who's name slips my mind at the moment mentioned the Maxfit and they were right. The difference in QC between Flextorque and Maxfit looks like it's coming from two different companies.

I agree.  I want to go with Robertson drive screws but have a large stash of Phillips.  When looking to start my Roberson stash I found almost all Phillips stuff.  Had to search to find Robertson screws then when I did find them they where at least twice the cost. 

For now I have given up my quest for Robertson stuff as being impractical and focused on finding quality Phillips bits and screwdrivers.

Same here, that's kind of the whole point of this thread haha. We're pretty much stuck with phillips, which sucks, so we need good bits to make up for phillips' shortcomings. I wish everything was Robertson or torx, but I deal with mostly phillips and JIS. At least we're getting close to eliminating the need for slotted.

I just bought a maxfit set at HD over the holidays, they are nice bits. The quality of them is apparent compared to FlexTorqs of which I have 2 sets. The Maxfit set that was under $9 has a pretty decent bit selection.  No nutsetters like the FlexTorq kits i have bit thats not a biggie The Magnet is also a bit different but seems to be pretty strong. The Maxfits I have chillin with my Bosch 12v stuff currently as it fits inside the bag with 2 tools pretty easily.

ive had pretty good luck with Dewalt bits for what I do around the house,at work I like using my wiha and Wera bits.

I dunno if they last longer quite yet,I never had any real issues with the flextorq except for the fit on some fasteners.,the maxfit was under $9 for the holidays.the fitment does seem better at least on the Phillips. We use alot of torx and hex bits at the shop doing assembly. The FlexTorq locking bit holder is pretty boss,best bit holder ive ever used.

Well Ive only had the maxfits for a short time,several weeks at most so Rust i dont know,but I have some older Apex branded ones that have a bit of rust on them. a little WD-40 or something if they get wet wont hurt :)  Id say they are worth the money. The small kit of maxfits i have are worth everybit of the $9 I paid so far,I like having a good variety of bits.

Craig, I'd love to help you out with getting some but last time I checked shipping to the UK was like $40, insane. About 6 years ago that would have cost more like $12 :(

thanks but it's ok on eBay the postage is about $18 or something so a set will cost me about £35 delivered ! I seem to have loads of impact bits but always want more lol

thanks but it's ok on eBay the postage is about $18 or something so a set will cost me about £35 delivered ! I seem to have loads of impact bits but always want more lol

How much would a set of Wiha, Wera, PB Swiss or Felo cost you? I know prices are higher in the UK but if it's anywhere close to the cost of the Dewalt set, I'd consider those. The big thing about that set that makes us like it so much is the value, it's cheap for a lot of quality bits...but it's not German/Swiss/Czech quality. I just don't want you paying high-end money for those bits.

...though the screw holder might be worth it anyway because I don't think you can't really get it anywhere else.