Sun-room rehab. I got a little carried away today.

99_XC600

Looks great man. What's your plan for the flooring?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We're looking to tile it. Specifically Plank Tile. I've done tiling jobs in my house before but they have been the traditional 10x10's. With everything that I've been reading on the installation of the large format is that the floor needs to be dead flat which is concerning. I've checked the floor with my 4' level and surprising enough it's fairly level in both directions.

I just need to check for flatness at some point and make sure I don't have any major dips in the floor. I know I can take out the error once I put the hardibacker down and the thinset. Just want to avoid any major issues if I can.

We're looking to tile it. Specifically Plank Tile. I've done tiling jobs in my house before but they have been the traditional 10x10's. With everything that I've been reading on the installation of the large format is that the floor needs to be dead flat which is concerning. I've checked the floor with my 4' level and surprising enough it's fairly level in both directions.

I just need to check for flatness at some point and make sure I don't have any major dips in the floor. I know I can take out the error once I put the hardibacker down and the thinset. Just want to avoid any major issues if I can.

Flatness is the key. Don't mix the two up level and flat. You want your floor flat as possible. Put down some underlayment if you have too. You can get away using your thin set with slight dips. Just don't try to level the floor using your setting material. I have seen guys try to do this then when they get to the other side they are a inch high or better.  Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Like 1

What's the best way to check for flatness? The room is essentially 12x7.

My thought is to take the 4' level and make sure it's level. Once I establish level, I then take a piece of material no thicker 1/8" and see if I can slide it under the level in various locations on the floor?

Any dips will then be identified right?

Thanks for getting back so fast with the paint color, it takes me awhile to pick a color. Then I paint the walls and when it dries I'm like that's not really what I wanted, so I just leave it and paint the room again in a few years..lol  Hey for your tiling you should try the perfect level master t-lock system it does cost some money but it is worth it Home Depot has there own system which is similar and cheaper. Its a 2 part system a spacer and a wedge it will make your tile dead level. 

IF you don't have a 8' straight a 4' will do but like comp said a string is all so good or you could spend the money on this. This is what I use.

That thing is pretty cool. I could see why you bought it. 

If you're in the Northeast any time soon feel free to swing by and give me a demo. :)

Thanks for getting back so fast with the paint color, it takes me awhile to pick a color. Then I paint the walls and when it dries I'm like that's not really what I wanted, so I just leave it and paint the room again in a few years..lol  Hey for your tiling you should try the perfect level master t-lock system it does cost some money but it is worth it Home Depot has there own system which is similar and cheaper. Its a 2 part system a spacer and a wedge it will make your tile dead level. 

Yes, I saw the T-Lock system on some of the videos I watched. Didn't realize HD had something similar. I'll go check it out.

No problem on the paint color. Glad I could help.

• Like 1

After taking a good look at your photos you really should put down some type of underlayment the last thing you want to happen is for all of those plank joints to move and transfer to the tile and start to crack. You could use some type of ply. hardy board, or Schluter Ditra. I use the Dita because I don't want any call backs but before Dita came out everybody used to other methods with very little problems.

Spent Sunday and Monday night finishing the painting on all of the trim. Just have some minor touch up work on the ceiling too do. I also need to pull the bathroom door off and paint that white. Once that's done, I'll start devoting time on the floor and installing the light fixture.

We even started to decorate a little bit :)

A17713A5-C703-430E-BF12-D5073C71E265_zps

46FFB20B-4FEB-437C-B87D-7F57572536E2_zps

51575D13-E749-4A51-A89A-F7100CE7A784_zps

F79B5F6C-0FA1-49AA-817C-167328BE984A_zps

6F194E67-F638-4D3F-AF91-61A186D75390_zps

62DC88D9-B62F-4ED6-9A95-332F1B7818B5_zps

965B5CDD-891D-4C29-9101-95F4830F499C_zps

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress over the weekend.

Used the Porter Cable 20V Oscillating tool to remove the tar paper / felt from the floor on Saturday.That task absolutely sucked. Sitting on the floor for a couple of hours and then getting up was tough. My hips were killing me. lol

Once that was done, I put down 1/4' HardiBacker board down in preparation for the tile floor. Also put up the lighting that my wife had picked out. Looks pretty good, Just need to work on tweaking the aiming of the heads once we get the table in there. Working in there gave me a opportunity to try out the Bluetooth speaker that I got for Christmas. That little speaker is awesome and it has about 3 hours of run time.

F7B0B405-23F4-4BA4-841D-C43D4B293456_zps

833C722B-15B0-468B-90D6-71F8E006412A_zps

77223F39-1D46-4096-95C4-8598D19D2A06_zps

6D32B6BF-894C-4285-A1F2-B909C1FE2F4B_zps

406F3A38-1574-488A-917C-2E9C2514DDD0_zps

C8B3420B-ABD2-4CA5-A5DD-9822D871CB1E_zps

E9A58A7B-D333-420B-9C77-516E9BF126C9_zps

• Like 1