echo or ego?

rrich1

I got the old brushed Ego string trimmer for 105 on clearance after a HD 25 off coupon. The next thing I want is new 21" lawnmower. I really like my EGO stuff. I will probaly sell my Greenworks 80v tools this fall and pick up the ego snow blower when it comes out this fall. I would love to be on the EGO beta test list :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/2/2016 at 6:38 AM, PROTOOLNUT said:

TIA has kind of proven by now that when it comes to the cordless line, Ego is kind of the way to go, I mean, who doesn't like the idea of a 56v chainsaw of raw cutting power har har har. :D

Unless you need an attachment capable trimmer. I was going to go with Ego, but the trimmer not being attachment capable was an issue since I have a lot of high and deep hedges what would require a pole hedge trimmer to trim. That is why I went with Ryobi instead.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with Makita. They ran their promotion last month, buy 3 bare tools and get 2 4amp batteries, charger, and a contractor bag. Got their low level string trimmer (my craftsman of that same size was plenty for my yard, no brush) and the 36v leaf blower. love that thing. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2015 at 6:12 PM, dwain said:

We (oztooltalk) reviewed the whole EGO range quite extensively, and its very good. It's weak point was the 12" Line Trimmer, not sure if the newer 15" is more powerful, but the extra diameter is certainly needed. The BL 18x2 Makita trimmer looks like a beast, as does their blower.

Dwain, I watched your reviews of the Ego line. Really good stuff. It was the first time I noticed some interesting differences between the US versions of the Ego products and those that can be purchased outside the US.

For example, the Ego 15" brushless string trimmer you guys reviewed came with a quick release handle adjustment lever and a shoulder strap. The green quick release handle adjust can be seen in the pic below.

EgoTrimmerHandlw-700x700.jpg

Ego-Europe.png

The US versions do not have these options (apparently to keep costs down for Home Depot). Perhaps there are other cost cutting measures employed, but that's the only visual one I could tell.

It's currently not possible for US customers to purchase the nicer units you guys get outside the US. It's also not possible for US customers to order the quick release handle as an accessory from Ego or its partner retailers or Amazon. Although we can order the shoulder strap through a couple online e-tailers for around $18 USD.

ego-trimmer-strap.jpg

According to the Ego Trade Catalogue available on the Ego Ireland site [http://egopowerplus.ie/pages/ego-catalogues], they recently came out with a backpack battery unit as well as a handlebar string trimmer. As of yet, both are only available outside the US, so we can't get our hands on them. Have you guys had a chance to check these out? Perhaps an upcoming review. Hopefully these will be made available in the US soon.

Pics follow (click the pic for full size)...

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.50.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.51.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.51.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 7.52.37 AM.png

• Like 1

Hey Scott. EGO tell me that they are bringing in 4 new tools to the Australian range later in the year. I believe they are a brushed line trimmer (not sure about the handles), new blower, self-propelled mower and new hedge trimmer. We plan to review them all.

I've not heard about the backpack battery, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for your kinds words. Bummer that you miss a few useful features.

• Like 1

Thanks Dwain, more about the "brushed line trimmer". By that do you mean "blade"? So they are going to offer a dedicated brush cutter trimmer with a blade as opposed to string then? If you can find out, it would be interesting to know if the brushcutter trimmer will be able to accept standard line spools as well as the brush cutter blade.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Interesting. Why would they do that? Brushless motors are typically more efficient than brushed motors.

The current gap they have in their lineup is they don't offer a brush cutter. Either a dedicated tool, or a replacement head for their string trimmer (similar to the way Bosch does it with their cordless trimmers)

The .095 string has a limit to what it can effectively cut. That's where the "brush cutter" comes in. It uses a metal blade to chop down everything in its path short of small trees.

I like the handlebar trimmer, but I believe it needs to have the option to use a metal brush cutter blade to make sense in their lineup.

• Like 1

Dwain, have you guys had a chance to check out any OPE using the CORE motor technology?

The developer of the technology is based in Montana USA. They have been acquired by MTD who is using the CORE motors in their line of outdoor power equipment for their Troy-Bilt and Cub Cadet brands. The Troy Bilt mower looks pretty cool (similar to Bosch)

troybilt_corerange.png

Hi Scott. No I've never seen that range. Australia tends to have a smaller OPE and power tool range than the US. Sometimes we see similar products re-badged as well known Australian brands...

Thanks again Dwain. Really appreciate your insights and perspective. 

While I have your ear, perhaps the next time you have a chance to speak to your Ego contacts in Australia, ask them about this soft start "feature" that they speak of in their marketing material. Most reviewers ding them for this and most users want instant feedback from the trigger, not delayed power runup. But they are touting it as an intentional feature. What is the cause of it?

• Like 1