Hardwood flooring, thoughts

WeldfabNeil

As some may have read before parents recently bought a house. It was bank owned an was in poor shape cosmetically. It's not even several years old but needs landscaping, cabinets/countertops, paint, flooring an we're gonna finishing the basement as well. The house was priced right so there's money for work to be done.

We are gonna start the flooring part hopefully within a month or so. The first floor we are going to do all hardwood. Parents want real hardwood, no fake engineered stuff.

We have had several bids done for installation an finishing. Lots of money for a freaking floor if your asking me. In the bid we said we would tear up the old tile an bedrooms with carpet. We're thinking one step farther thoe. What would it take to install floor are self? I have helped install glue down before an also done some floating laminate at aunt house.

Lots of research an it doesn't look to bad. I mean I know enough to be dangerous an my dad is the similar. I have a compresser an saws, would just need a nailer.

We are willing to do the work if it saves money. It really is just depends how much money an how difficault the work is. Not trying to be cheap because if need be we're have someone do it, but If possible to save money why not?

So what's your thoughts?

I think the main thing is location with hardwoods, below grade is not recommended by many manufactures along with high humidity areas......hardwoods also expand and contract a bit more so you'll need to take that into account. Price is also another consideration, there are some really great engineered floor materials these days.....I just finished up using bambo in our living and dining room and its been great, easy to install too. There is a wealth of info on the web regarding the pros and cons.

I say go for it! The Internet/YouTube has tons of info if you get into a jam. Once you establish your starter row it flys. That's not to say there won't be some tricky cutting and several "how am I supposed to end this?" Questions if you know what I mean.

i have come across a lot of situations laying hardwood flooring, so I will try to answer any other questions you have buddy.

And if you don't have one already, look into picking up a multi tool. They are priceless for undercutting door jambs and such.

• 7 years later...
On 11/10/2015 at 7:10 AM, WeldfabNeil said:

As some may have read before parents recently bought a house. It was bank owned an was in poor shape cosmetically. It's not even several years old but needs landscaping, cabinets/countertops, paint, flooring an we're gonna finishing the basement as well. The house was priced right so there's money for work to be done.

We are gonna start the flooring part hopefully within a month or so. The first floor we are going to do all hardwood. Parents want real hardwood, no fake engineered stuff.

We have had several bids done for installation an finishing. Lots of money for a freaking floor if your asking me. In the bid we said we would tear up the old tile an bedrooms with carpet. We're thinking one step farther thoe. What would it take to install floor are self? I have helped install glue down before an also done some floating laminate at aunt house.

Lots of research an it doesn't look to bad. I mean I know enough to be dangerous an my dad is the similar. I have a compresser an saws, would just need a nailer.

We are willing to do the work if it saves money. It really is just depends how much money an how difficault the work is. Not trying to be cheap because if need be we're have someone do it, but If possible to save money why not hardwood flooring installer atlanta?

So what's your thoughts?

I'm thinking about putting in Hardwood Floors in my home. The house is approx. 2,000 sq. ft. Would anyone have a guesstimate on how much materials and install would cost. I would like to put in a good product, but does not have to be the best out there, but certainly don't want the low end. Middle of the road would work. Thanks for any help or advice you care to share.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been in an exhibition in London ages ago and there was a Polish company who was producing Hardwood floor boards in 7m length as one piece. I love the idea of that as you have less lines after installing it and in case if any liquid drops on the floor it will be more and better protected. 

• 7 months later...
On 11/10/2015 at 7:10 AM, WeldfabNeil said:

We are willing to do the work if it saves money also check maple flooring guide. It really is just depends how much money an how difficault the work is. Not trying to be cheap because if need be we're have someone do it, but If possible to save money why not?

So what's your thoughts?

I was given five big boxes of this hickory hardwood flooring scraps it’s pure hardwood the person I got it from said he used it in his smoker he doesn’t smoke anymore so he gave it to me is there any issues with using this? I did burn some last night and it seem to burn clean and hot no sap or chemical seem to burn off.

• Like 1