Makita Facing Class Action Lawsuit over Failed batteries

DR99

Wow, nice work testing this. So the grinders, especially the DGD800 - die grinder right?, really suck decent amperage while idle. You figure you put the tool down with a 25% charge and in a matter of a few weeks the battery could discharge. I think Makita inadvertently amplified the problem by not having battery indicators on their batteries. i.e. unless you plop it into the charger the only way to see the charge is to slap it into a tool and you might kill a weak cell in the process.

Yupp, exactly. The die grinder should absolutely not be left with a battery. Xd

This was done on a battery with 90% charge, just to check the tools normal drainage. And I would guess the battery would cut of the power to the unit when the charge gets very low. (I only have the 5Ah's)

But it is a bit worrying, if left on the tool with a full/medium charge, thinking it could get a decent shelf life this way. You risk it getting drained quickly, and then slowly dying.

But as you guys mentioned, in combination with an battery that doens't properly cut the power to the tool.

This problem/behavior would destroy the battery in no time.

If you will read manual you will find that you can`t leave battery in tool for long time and if battery sits for if I good remember 6 month you need to charge it and not to leave longer. Dead battery's are changed under warranty in Lithuania so it`s problem only if your battery broke down after years or more.