USS Carrier Truman installs a Fab Lab - 3D printers etc.

JerryNY

http://www.spacewar.com/m/reports/USS_Truman_first_carrier_to_install_Afloat_Fab_Lab_999.html

"A Fabrication Laboratory, or Fab Lab, is a small-scale technical workshop comprised of off-the-shelf, industrial-grade fabrication and electronics tools, including 3-D printing technology. Navy officials say the workshop will help sailors become more innovative.

In addition to 3-D printing technology, Truman's new lab consists of a desktop Computerized Numerical Control mill, a large flat screen monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse. The printer is capable of building objects of a variety of sizes and shapes from polymers. Truman sailors have been training in the Mid-Atlantic Regional Maintenance Center's Fab Lab since November 10, familiarizing themselves with 3-D rendering programs, soldering basics, and electronic component instruction."

Cool stuff but I always thought they had things like that but maybe being a super carrier they are one phone call away from having parts flown in...

That makes these bad boys one more step from being permanent floating cities with their own manufacturing capacities. I watched some movie when I was a kid about these guys n this massive space station with the huuuuuge gardens. Next stop for super carrier......farms. Fresh bed and parsley. Oh yeah......and Tomahawk missiles.